Help with dual citizenship - USA/Italy

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
antcole93

Help with dual citizenship - USA/Italy

Post by antcole93 »

I read the parameters on how to "qualify" for Italian dual citizenship, and it stated:
My mothers father must have been an Italian citizen at the time of her birth (in America).
Am I reading this correctly?

Grandfather (Italian citizen) -> Mother (Born while Grandfather is Italian citizen IN America) -> Me

Sorry if I confused anyone lol
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Re: Help with dual citizenship - USA/Italy

Post by caridimondo »

You may qualify, but it depends on your birth date. This was taken from the San Francisco consulate's website:

Please note: a person born before 01/01/1948 can claim Italian citizenship only from his/her father (who was not a naturalized citizen of another country before his/her child’s birth), and a woman can transfer citizenship only to her children born after 01/01/1948 (if she was not a naturalized citizen of another country before her child’s birth).

Hope that helps : )
caridimondo
Rookie
Rookie

Post by caridimondo »

I guess I should mention that some have hired lawyers and beat the 1948 rule, so there's still hope (albeit costly) if you were born before 1/1/1948
antcole93

Post by antcole93 »

Great thank you guys!
vastonsmith

Post by vastonsmith »

Hi all,

I am searching for information on Virginio Pontoni (*1878 Variano, Udine) and his wife Smeriglia Benedetta Del Ponte (*1879 Variano, Udine). A family rumor say that they moved to Argentina possibly in the 20th. Any hints or ideas how to find the place where they moved to?
thanks
André
ahsan