What is the difference of these two documents?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Dach
Rookie
Rookie

What is the difference of these two documents?

Post by Dach »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349682301

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference between these two documents are and their meanings, and what information is on them. I am still learning all of the records and meanings. I appreciate your time helping me with theses Del Giudice Records.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: What is the difference of these two documents?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Dach wrote:https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349682301

I was wondering if someone could please tell me what the difference between these two documents are and their meanings, and what information is on them. I am still learning all of the records and meanings. I appreciate your time helping me with theses Del Giudice Records.
The first link you have here is from the "Registro di Matrimonio" or Marriage Register so is basically the Marriage Record.

The second link you have here is to the Allegati or Processitti - documents required before the marriage can take place. I've copied and pasted an article Erudita wrote recently on another thread which explains Allegati perfectly:

"Processetti

Processetti and allegati are the terms used for the packet of documents required of the bride and groom before a marriage could take place. They exist for church and civil marriages. They include:

1. Copies of birth or baptism records of the bride and groom.

2. Copies of death records of fathers, paternal grandfathers, mothers (occasionally), and previous spouses.

3. Declaration of military service-(normally this is a certificate of the groom's free state to marry indicating that he wasn't already married, was not a member of the any religious order, such as being a priest, and was free from military obligations (that is, he had already fulfilled his required military obligation)

4.Declaration of poverty (I have never seen such a document); sometimes you get a record called a Family Council Document (this was when one or both of the spouses was underage and family members convened to discuss the merits and shortcomings of the prospective spouse before they would give their consent to the marriage. So a female, for example, had to have a sufficient dowry to bring to the marriage and had to be of good moral character, etc. If parents were deceased, then grandparents or possibly other relatives or friends would meet to discuss these issues and decide whether to give their consent to the marriage or not.

5. Dispensations-dispensations might be granted for various reasons. Some villages were so small that the only way marriages could take place was between kin of close degree-such as first and second cousins. Dispensations were also needed if a man lost his wife and chose to marry her sister. When I first found such a dispensation from Rome among the processetti, I thought the dispensation was being given because the first wife had not been deceased at least year. But then I did some research and found that that was not the case. The dispensation was needed because of the kinship bond that had been established between the husband and his sister-in-law by his first marriage to her sister.

6. Banns of marriage-these could be documents called memorandum, notifications, or marriage publications (first publication posted for a week, then replaced by a second publication which would remain posted for three days, and then the marriage could take place anytime after this. The purpose of these documents being posted prior to the marriage was to insure that there were no impediments to the marriage, such as one of the spouses already being married. These would be read aloud and then posted. I should add that, if the spouses were from different towns, these banns of marriage would be posted in both towns.

7. Any notary documents that were necessary–and these can include some real surprises. Documents from a notary may include something like a name change for one of the spouses if he/she had been an abandoned child and originally had been given a name invented by a town official. If that individual's natural parent(s) came forward to reclaim the child, you might find the document created by the notary to that effect with the marriage package.

I hope this helps clarify what you might find with the processetti or allegati records. They can be a real gold mine. In some towns, there are cover pages separating each packet of records from those belonging to another couple. In other towns, there are no cover pages and you really have to be able to read the records to determine which ones belong to your ancestors."

Link to thread: http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/l ... ti#p208703

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Atto di Matrimonio - Marriage Record or Act

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Re the Marriage Record (Atto di Matrimonio), you will find:

Date of marriage
Place of marriage

Information about the groom:
name
birth place
birthdate
previous marriage if applicable
name of groom's father, and if and where living
name of groom's mother and if and where living

Information about the bride:
name
birth place
birthdate
previous marriage if applicable
name of bride's father, and if and where living,
name of bride's mother and if and where living

Sometimes other relatives might be included.

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: What is the difference of these two documents?

Post by Tessa78 »

Dach wrote:
You may want to invest in a copy of Lynn Nelson's A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering Your Italian Ancestors - easy to read and use as a reference when examining these documents.

ALSO - more comprehensive - is Trafford Cole's book: Genealogical Italian Records.

T.