Help translating

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Help translating

Post by mcvega »

wedding Taglialavore Castellano.jpeg
I was able to obtain a copy of my grandparents wedding certificate from the church in Cianciana. I need help translating it. I am hoping it is Italian and not Latin.

Thank You
PippoM
Master
Master

Re: Help translating

Post by PippoM »

It is Latin...
On September 30th, 1911, after continuous publications of banns during three successive holidays , September 10th, 17th and 24th; and having found a second degree relationship (this should mean they were first cousins...surnames of their mothers are in fact the same; anyway, there's no mention of the necessary licence they had to get in these cases) .
The priest Giovanni Taglialavore married
the groom Francesco Castellano, unmarried, son of Giuseppe and Giuseppa Cicero,
the bride Vincenza Taglialavore, daughter of the late Giovanni and of Rosa Cicero
Witnesses were Salvatore D'Anna son of Francesco and David Castellano son of Benedetto.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank You so much. What does it mean "continuous publications of banns" and what does the successive holidays have to do with it? I am not familiar with these terms. I do know that their mothers were sisters. Another less important question, is the priest a relative of Vincenza Taglialavore?

Thank You
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

I'm sorry, I just found out that it means it was announced in the parish church and having no objections the priest married them.
I am still curious about the priest that married them.

Thank You
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

mcvega wrote:I'm sorry, I just found out that it means it was announced in the parish church and having no objections the priest married them.
I am still curious about the priest that married them.

Thank You

There is nothing written in this record to indicate that the priest was a relative. The word Cappellanus which appears after his name just means Chaplain.

Erudita
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank You, I thought since the priest and Vincenza Taglialavore's father had the same name they might be cousins or something. I know it is not unusual for the people of Cianciana to have the same names.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

mcvega wrote:Thank You, I thought since the priest and Vincenza Taglialavore's father had the same name they might be cousins or something. I know it is not unusual for the people of Cianciana to have the same names.

You're welcome. I certainly wouldn't rule out the possibility that he was related, but you would need another document to prove it.
Erudita