Gaetana Taglialavore

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Gaetana Taglialavore

Post by mcvega »

I just received an email from Carlos asking this question
"Taglialavore
Prezado MCVEGA,
Não estou sabendo como colocar uma mensagem no fórum, razão pela qual faço aqui. Podendo, por favor, pode repassar ao fórum.
Tenho uma anotação de que Giovanni Taglialavore (que você pesquisa, casado com Maria Rosa Cicero), seria irmão de Gaetana Taglialavore, nascida em 1849, em Agrigento, e que foi casada com Salvatore Calceroni.
Você poderia me ajudar, ou seja, procede esta informação e saberia me dizer onde eles casaram ?
Atenciosamente,
Carlos Eduardo Barata
Rio de Janeiro - Brasil
Cau Barata

The Giovanni Taglialavore I have on my tree has a sister named Gaetana Taglialavore but she was born in 1842 so I am not sure that is her. I have no other information on her other than her birth date which I obtained from Family Search. Could you possibly help us with this.
I know Giovanni's parents name. Perhaps my Gaetana has a marriage record in Sicily.
Thank You
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Gaetana Taglialavore

Post by carubia »

It sounds like Gaetana is this person:
Name: Gaetana Taglialavore
Christening Date: 24 Jul 1842
Christening Place: null
Birth Date: 23 Jul 1842
Birthplace: Cianciana, Agrigento, Italy
Death Date: null
Father's Name: Onofrio Taglialavore
Father's Birthplace: null
Father's Age: 25y
Mother's Name: Giuseppa Martorano
Mother's Birthplace: null
Mother's Age: 20y
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C74034-4
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1467169
Reference ID: null
The Taglialavore family is concentrated in Ribera and Cianciana, and in the past Calamonaci, in Agrigento, and also in Caltanissetta and in Agira in Enna.

Onofrio Taglialavore and Giuseppa Marturano did indeed have a son Giovanni:
Name: Giovanni Taglialavore
Christening Date: 03 Feb 1841
Christening Place: Cianciana, Agrigento, Italy
Birth Date: 03 Feb 1841
Birthplace: null
Death Date: null
Father's Name: Onofrio Taglialavore
Father's Birthplace: null
Father's Age: 23 years
Mother's Name: Giuseppa Martorano
Mother's Birthplace: null
Mother's Age: 18 years
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C05038-2
System Origin: Italy-EASy
GS Film number: 1467169
Reference ID: null
There are a number of other children of Onofrio and Giuseppa indexed on FamilySearch, as well as their marriage record. Onofrio's father was Giovanni and Giuseppa's mother was Gaetana, so that explains the children's names.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Sorry, I just realized that you were telling us your Gaetana's info, which is the same as what I copied, and you're asking if this is the same person as Carlos is talking about. It would've helped a lot to understand your question if I could read Portuguese (or Carlos' PM were translated into English or Italian).
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I can't find the surname Calceroni in Italy now. Perhaps he means Calcerano, which used to be found in Cammarata and Casteltermini in Agrigento (but is now mainly found in eastern Sicily). Can you get more information on Salvatore from Carlos?
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Sorry about the confusion. I went to google translate and here is what I got
Dear MCVega
I do not know how to put a message on the forum.
I note the Giovanni Taglialavore (research he married Mary Rosa Cicero) would Gaetana Taglialavore brother born in 1849 in Agrigento and who was married to Salvatore Calceroni.
Could you help me?
Carlos Eduardo Barata

Again thank you for your kind attention,
Carlos Eduardo de Almeida Cockroach
Rio de Janeiro

Google Translate for Business:Translator ToolkitWebsite TranslatorGlobal Market Finder
Since then he has sent another letter.
"The date of birth you have to Gaetana Taglialavore is not accurate because it was obtained in his death in 1924, in Brazil. Reportedly having 75 years of age, a widow, a native of Italy. Brought several children, all Italians in Brazil. I think the husband Salvatore Calceroni died in Italy. I was hoping to find his marriage in Cianciana. I saw another note-not official- who was the daughter of Onofrio Taglialavore and Giuseppe Martorana, people who are part of their research."

I will see if I can get more information on Salvatore.
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I checked the marriage indexes for Cianciana for 1862-64 but didn't find anything for Calceroni or Calcerano or Gaetana Taglialavore. The records before 1862 are not online and the ones between 1855 and 1862 are probably not indexed online either, so one would have to obtain the microfilms to search them. 1865 marriage records appear to be missing, but it may be that they are just out of order. Starting in 1866 the records are all handwritten and tedious to search.
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Lucia Taglialavore was my husband's Grandmother - daughter of Clemente Taglialavore and Maria Cannata. Clemente born Cianciana 29 August 1845, the son of Onofrio Taglialavore and Giuseppa Martorano, and died 20 January 1929 in Philadelphia, PA. Came to U.S.17 March 1907. Would be interested to see how the Brazil connection fits.

Helen Gallo
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Hi Helen,

I don't see Lucia, Clemente, or Onofrio Taglialavore in any of your 10 public trees on Ancestry or your private Taglialavore2014 tree. How are they connected to any of the other Taglialavores who are in your other tree?
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Carubia. I don't understand - I don't have my Tag family on Ancestry. I am an Ancestry member but was waiting until I got more info. You're sure my name is listed as owner? dmvega and I share ancestors perhaps it was her tree. Please let me know. If I did share with Ancestry I wasn't quite ready.

Thanks, Helen
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Sorry, Helen. You're right - that was RoccoMia's Tagialavore trees I was looking at. But you had posted about some Taglialavore, Miliano, and Guastella people before, such as Francesco Miliano, Antonia Guastella, Maria Guastella, and Gaetano Taglialavore. All those people are in my tree, and RoccoMia's, but I don't how they are connected to Onofrio or Clemente Taglialavore. Do you know of a connection?
gallohjc
Rookie
Rookie

Post by gallohjc »

Carubia, I hope this helps:

- Maria Angela Carubia born 12 Sep 1826, daughter of Giacoma Caterina Taglialavore and Francesco Carubia.
- Giacoma Caterina was the daughter of Giovanni Taglialavore and Onofrio Pendino.
- 23 Feb 1843 Maria Angela married Antonino Martorano, son of Francesco Martorano and Caterina Guastella.

How they tie in to our family:
- Onofrio Taglialavore (1818-1863) was the son of Giovanni Taglialavore and Onofrio Pendino.
- Onofrio married Giuseppa Martorana (born 1822). Giuseppa was the daughter of Clemente Martorana and Gaetana Cuffaro.
- The 4th child of Onofrio and Giuseppa was Clemente Taglialavore (1845-1929) my husband's maternal Great Grandfather.
- Clemente Taglialavore married Maria Cannata and their second child, Lucia Taglialavore (1878-1941) was my husband's maternal Grandmother.
- Lucia Taglialavore married Angelo Natale Scardino and their 11th child was Gaetana Scardino, my husband's mother.

I hope I haven't made things more confusing but the more I research that tends to happen. Let me know if you would like any additional info.

Helen
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Thanks, Helen, but that doesn't really help since you still haven't linked to any of the other people I mentioned in my last post, such as Gaetano Taglialavore. Maria Angela Carubia and her father Francesco are part of the Cianciana Carubia family. The surname originated there, but in the mid-18th c. my GGGG-GF, Baldassare Carubia, moved to Ribera with his family, and I have no way of connecting the Ribera Carubias to the Cianciana Carubias since that would require church records. (It's possible that your Francesco Carubia is a 1st cousin of my GGG-GF Luciano Carubia, who was also born in Cianciana and had a younger brother Francesco born in Ribera, but that's sheer speculation.)

You had asked about Gaetano Taglialavore, Francesco Miliano, etc., before so I assumed that you had connected them to your tree. If you have please let me know the relation. Thank you.

BTW, looking at FS, I think you mean that Caterina Guastella's husband was Melchiore Martorano, not Francesco.
RoccoMia

Post by RoccoMia »

Was the link of Maria Angela Carubia, wife of Antonino Martorana and Lucia Taglialavore, wife of Angelo Scardino ever figured out?

Maria Angela Carubia's mother was Giacoma Taglialavore; Giacoma the daughter of Giovanni Taglialavore and Onofria Pendino

Lucia Taglialavore's father is Clemente Taglialavore; Clemente the son of Onofrio Taglialavore and Onofrio was the son of Giovanni Taglialavore and Onofria Pendino.

So, they would be cousins. That is how I have them linked in my research. If the connection can be disputed, please let me know so I can fix my files.

Also, I have two Caterina Guastella's in this family; one is married to Melchoire Martorana, the other to Francisco Martorana. I have not checked into a link of the two Martorana men.

Thanks!
Only a Genealogist regards a step backward as progress
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

RoccoMia wrote:Was the link of Maria Angela Carubia, wife of Antonino Martorana and Lucia Taglialavore, wife of Angelo Scardino ever figured out?
As you just pointed out, yes, Helen linked them above: They have the common ancestors Giovanni Taglialavore and Onofria Pendino.

But I'm still trying to link them to Gaetano Taglialavore of Cianciana, who was married to Maria Guastella and had children Maria Antonia, Antonino, Maria Angela, Giuseppe, Francesco, and Vincenzo between about 1791 and 1802. Do you know of a connection?
RoccoMia

Post by RoccoMia »

Gaetano Taglialavore and Maria Guastella are my family, through their son, Antonino. I have done the research on many other Taglialavore families in case I can one day link them together. At this time, I still have not found the information that will do that. I need to find out the parents of both Gaetano and Onofrio and I have not been successful in doing that.

What is your relationship to Gaetano and Maria?
Only a Genealogist regards a step backward as progress