Andreoni from Vorno, Capannori

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Re: Andreoni from Vorno, Capannori

Post by mjclayton1 »

Tessa, et al -

Any chance you can find a George (Giorgio?) Rago, or perhaps Joseph (Giuseppe?) Rago from Bari, Italy? This would be Carol's Grandfather on her mother's side, her mother's name being Patricia Ann Rago (Manjarrrez). We think "George's" DOB was 5 Feb. 1898, but aren't sure. We also have seen a 1940's U.S. Census record that suggests he may have been 46 at the time, or born circa 1894. Said Census record shows his name as "George"... yet Carol's dad, Alfred Saisi, always referred to him as "Joe".

I've found a record for one "Giuseppe" Rago, age 21, cabinet-maker, on the S.S. Imperator, departing from Cherbourg, France and arriving at Ellis Island on September 26, 1920. The record states that his father, 'Girolano" Rago, is the nearest relative from Bari from whence he came. The DOB is close, but am getting the nagging feeling that this isn't a hit.

The help here so far has been just out of the world fantastic, so I hesitate to go the well yet again, but...

Grazie mille!!

Mark
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Mark,

Where did Giuseppe Rago live in US?
Approximately when did he immigrate to US? or better yet, can you post the link to the US Census you found?

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Quick addition/edit here: I have found a death certificate for one "George Joseph Rago", DOB 25 Feb 1898, DOD 7 Dec 1987 (I need to order - it takes several weeks to obtain). The "public" portion of the record indicates a mother's maiden of "Favale"? That may be a mini-breakthrough for this search, as we haven't heard this name before. We will try to reconcile this information with Alfred Saisi when we have a chance...

Also, great timing on your question, Tessa. "George" Joseph Rago lived in SF, CA.

http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse. ... plz0q3dpid

He's listed at the above link as "Rayo" in error. We know his wife was Benita Manjarrez (Rago) and the children listed are all verified as Carol's Aunts and Uncles...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mjclayton1 wrote:Quick addition/edit here: I have found a death certificate for one "George Joseph Rago", DOB 25 Feb 1898, DOD 7 Dec 1987 (I need to order - it takes several weeks to obtain). The "public" portion of the record indicates a mother's maiden of "Favale"? That may be a mini-breakthrough for this search, as we haven't heard this name before. We will try to reconcile this information with Alfred Saisi when we have a chance...

Also, great timing on your question, Tessa. "George" Joseph Rago lived in SF, CA.

He's listed at the above link as "Rayo" in error. We know his wife was Benita Manjarrez (Rago) and the children listed are all verified as Carol's Aunts and Uncles...
POSSIBLE WWI registration for the above Giuseppe/Joseph Rago???

U.S., World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Guiseppe Rago
Name: Guiseppe Rago
City: San Francisco
County: San Francisco
State: California
Birth Date: 25 Feb 1898
Race: White
Draft Board: 13

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

More potential gold here...

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1629/31 ... turnRecord

Naturalization certificate for "Giorgio Giuseppe Rago" (former name)...
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Tessa78 wrote:
mjclayton1 wrote:Quick addition/edit here: I have found a death certificate for one "George Joseph Rago", DOB 25 Feb 1898, DOD 7 Dec 1987 (I need to order - it takes several weeks to obtain). The "public" portion of the record indicates a mother's maiden of "Favale"? That may be a mini-breakthrough for this search, as we haven't heard this name before. We will try to reconcile this information with Alfred Saisi when we have a chance...

T.

Looks like a hit to me... (gotta go to work shortly, but thanks ever so much for your assistance)...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mjclayton1 wrote:More potential gold here...

http://interactive.ancestry.com/1629/31 ... turnRecord

Naturalization certificate for "Giorgio Giuseppe Rago" (former name)...
This is the same address as the 1940 US Census. you posted :-)

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Yes, T, I think this is (finally) the breakthrough I've (we've) been looking for in terms of Patricia Ann Rago's father (Patricia being Carols' deceased mother and Alfred Saisi being Carols' father). I had some nice "assists" (hints) in the U.S. from distant relatives on the "Manjarrez" side, whcih have proven quite helpful. Seems like I'm (we're) on a good roll here, so I'd love to dig deeper into "Giorgio Giuseppe Rago's" Italian roots. Really, one the last "missing links" for Carol's ancestry.

Thx again...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Using the Petition number you should be able to order copies of his naturalization records....

NARA site is doing scheduled maintenance until 5 AM tomorrow, so wait until then to take a look at this site to order records...

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Tessa78 wrote:Using the Petition number you should be able to order copies of his naturalization records....

NARA site is doing scheduled maintenance until 5 AM tomorrow, so wait until then to take a look at this site to order records...

http://www.archives.gov/research/order/

T.

You mean Petition No. "40164"? Are those records more detailed than the Naturalization Certificate? For example, would they list where and when Giorgio Giuseppe Rago emigrated, who his parents were, etc.? if so, that'd be an incredible find. I (we?) :wink: could then look more readily backwards into the Bari, Italy angle...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Usually when you request the petition from NARA, you received a set of records (Declaration of Intent, Petition for Naturalization, Naturalization Certificate) that also includes the "Certificate of Arrival" which was created when immigration verified someone's legal arrival in US.
This MAY have his place of origin, or at least point you to the manifest.

I do not believe information such as parents' names will be there.

HOWEVER, another source for parents' names would be his Social Security Application.
You can request this (for a fee). It is called the SS-5 form.
You can save yourself $2.00 off the fee if you can provide his SSN :-)

http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

I'm no computer genius (by any stretch), but NARA web-site = Worst Website Ever...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mjclayton1 wrote:I'm no computer genius (by any stretch), but NARA web-site = Worst Website Ever...
Try this link. The other one seems to be having "issues"

You may need to register, but there is no cost.
Let me know how it goes.

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
mjclayton1
Elite
Elite

Post by mjclayton1 »

Tessa78 wrote:
mjclayton1 wrote:I'm no computer genius (by any stretch), but NARA web-site = Worst Website Ever...
Try this link. The other one seems to be having "issues"

You may need to register, but there is no cost.
Let me know how it goes.

https://eservices.archives.gov/orderonl ... chives.gov

T.
Thanks, T. Still no luck. I enter the Naturalization data and when I hit "continue to pay and ship" I get caught up in an infinite (bureaucratic?) loop - BTW, I had already registered. Eventually, I get the "... server is either busy or experiencing difficulties" message. Maybe I'll try again during the week...

In the meantime, can you possibly glean anything as to how this particular Giorgio Giuseppe Rago arrived in America?

Notwithstanding the Naturalization records, the Draft registration that you posted above (and which I've re-posted below) is a bit puzzling to me in the sense that the "Vincenzo Rago" mentioned as the "closest living relative" appears to be in Los Banos, Merced, Co., CA? That really surprises me, as that place was probably a real ghost town back in the early 1900's (although it was/is a good farming area, and we all know that many Italian immigrants were farmers by trade).

Thanks again...
Mark
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Tessa78 wrote:
HOWEVER, another source for parents' names would be his Social Security Application.
You can request this (for a fee). It is called the SS-5 form.
You can save yourself $2.00 off the fee if you can provide his SSN :-)

http://genealogy.about.com/gi/o.htm?zi= ... t/main.jsp

T.
In case you do not have it...
Given Name: George
Middle Name: J
Surname: Rago
Birth Date: 25 February 1898
Social Security Number: 545-20-XXXX
Last Place of Residence: San Francisco, San Francisco, California
Previous Residence Postal Code: 94112
Event Date: 7 December 1987