Giuseppa Schumbri document

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Giuseppa Schumbri document

Post by mcvega »

2 Giuseppa.jpeg
1 giuseppa.jpeg
I need help in translating this document. I am attaching two, but they are the same document, I just couldn't fit the whole thing in the scanner. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thank You
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppa Schembri document

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

BIRTH RECORD GIUSEPPA SCHEMBRI NO 310 (I am sure Schembri is the correct spelling not Schumbri?)

Date of record: 25 December (1898?) Cianciana

Gaetano Schembri, aged 23, profession?, from Cianciana reported that on 24 December at Via Bondi (no number) his wife Giuseppa Tagliavore – (I am guessing the surname here, it actually looks like Taglia...?), housewife, gave birth to a female babe to be given the name Giuseppa.

The side notes says that Giuseppa Schembri died in Trapani on 3 April 1940. I'm not sure what else it says, it is a little faded.

This is the best I can do. Going by the creases in the paper I'm presuming you have scanned a photocopy. Is that right? I was going to have a look and see if I could find the record online to see if it would be easier to read but didn't have time.

Angela :)
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

MARRIAGE RECORD: GAETANO SCHEMBRI E GIUSEPPA TAGLIALAVORE

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Fantastic news! I've located Gaetano and Giuseppa's marriage record. I was hoping I would be able to confirm Gaetano's profession but unfortunately I am none the wiser. However, it does confirm Giuseppa's surname and gives more details about each of their respective parents. :D

MARRIAGE RECORD NO 48: GAETANO SCHEMBRI E GIUSEPPA TAGLIALAVORE:

Record is dated 3 November 1895 at 10.30 a.m. in Cianciana.

Appearing are:
Gaetano Schembri, unmarried man, aged 19, profession? (possibly borghesia – middle class?), born and living in Cianciana, son of the late Luigi Schembri and the late Giuseppa Palminteri?

Giuseppa Taglialavore, unmarried woman, aged 18, cucitrice (seamstress), born and living in Cianciana, daughter of Giovanni Taglialavore, living in Cianciana, and the late Carmela Greco.

The first bann was posted on 29 September and the second was posted on 6 October........
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... c=M9S6-YPY

Angela
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Giuseppa Schumbri document

Post by erudita74 »

Gaetano's occupation-

borgese

Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Gaetano's occupation-

borgese

Erudita
Which means "middle class", "civilian"? I couldn't find this spelling anywhere. It is spelled with an "h" in both my Italian Dictionary and also on my Italian occupation list? I concluded that they must have omitted the "h" in the record - you know like they do sometimes?

Thank you Erudita.

Angela
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Margaret

I found the following thread which discusses the use of the word "Borgese" in case you are interested in learning more.

http://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/i ... se#p163590

Angela
mcvega
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mcvega »

Thank you so much. There is so much information here. Thank you for the correct spelling of the last name. I'm going to reread this a few times.
Much appreciated.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

mcvega wrote:Thank you so much. There is so much information here. Thank you for the correct spelling of the last name. I'm going to reread this a few times.
Much appreciated.
You are very welcome Margaret. I'm so pleased that I was able to find the marriage record as well. If I ever get the meaning of "Borgese" clear in my thinking I'll let you know. It's just not registering at all. :? It seems to have different meaning in different localities - I think? Enjoy the read.

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Margaret

I found the following thread which discusses the use of the word "Borgese" in case you are interested in learning more.

Angela

Angela
Borgese (yes, I have seen it spelled with an h as well, as in borghese, or even with a u instead of an o (depending on region). The word is translated in Italian dictionaries, or on Italian occupation lists found online, as "middle class," but that doesn't really tell us what this occupation was. In addition to Prof Rudolph Bell's definition in the link you gave above, we have a description by Gabaccia in her book that I had previously told you about on another thread. Like the agricoltore (farmer), she writes that borgese were middle peasants. They owned or leased, on a long term basis, plots of land that were one, two, or three hectares* in size. They also possessed substantial houses and work animals.
A hectare* was 10,000 square meters, or 100 meters by 100 meters. For people in the U.S., like me, one hectare was the equivalent 2.471 acres.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:
AngelaGrace56 wrote:Margaret

Angela

Angela
Borgese (yes, I have seen it spelled with an h as well, as in borghese, or even with a u instead of an o (depending on region). The word is translated in Italian dictionaries, or on Italian occupation lists found online, as "middle class," but that doesn't really tell us what this occupation was. In addition to Prof Rudolph Bell's definition in the link you gave above, we have a description by Gabaccia in her book that I had previously told you about on another thread. Like the agricoltore (farmer), she writes that borgese were middle peasants. They owned or leased, on a long term basis, plots of land that were one, two, or three hectares* in size. They also possessed substantial houses and work animals.
A hectare* was 10,000 square meters, or 100 meters by 100 meters. For people in the U.S., like me, one hectare was the equivalent 2.471 acres.
Erudita
Great, thank you for this and also for your message which I will reply to shortly. I'm adding the info to the "Italian Occupation List" that I have.

I've just realised that when I wrote the word "Borghesia" earlier on in the thread that I was using the plural word for Borghese/Borgese.

Thanks again, will be in touch shortly.

Angela