surname Galli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
judd

surname Galli

Post by judd »

My grandfather is Albert Galli. He and his brother, Peter stowed away on a ship and came to America around 1902 - 1904. We think they were from the Apulia Region "heel of the boot" and they got on a freighter or supply ship in the Apulia region because my grandfather claimed "they saw every port in the world", and thus far we haven't found them on any passenger manifest yet.

We are guessing that they came into America in the LosAngeles area. They worked their way into the Northern Nevada area working on ranches. Albert had a chance to drive stage for the U.S. Postal Service, so the brothers separated, Albert going south into Ely and eventually into Garrison, Utah where he raised 3 children. The oldest being my father. Albert is buried in Fillmore, Utah.

Peter stayed on the ranch, killed another ranch hand, was put into the Nevada State Prison in 1904, paroled in 1911, wrote letters every month to the parole board from Ruby Valley, McIntyre Ranch, Elko area while on parole, then was pardoned and discharged in 1917. That's where we lost track of Peter.
We have hoped to find Peter, and his family if he married. Hopefully he would have been more open to talking about his parents and his beginnings, where he was born, etc.

The only information we have of my grandfather prior coming to America is that his mother's name is "Louisa".

That is not much to go on, however, if anyone has information that would help us we would appreciate it so much.

Question: How do we go about searching for family when we do not know what province or town in Italy they originated from?

Thanks,
Judd
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: surname Galli

Post by mfjp »

Hi Judd,

Can you please provide year of birth for Alberto and Peter?

If you can mention the rest of Alberto's children born 1930 or earlier, it would help locate a census record... hopefully a manifest... and a location in Italy.

Is there another brother by any chance?

There is a record of interest though...

Name: Peter Galli
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Race: White
Home in 1920: Napa, Napa, California
Sex: Male
Marital status: Married
Relation to Head of House: Inmate
Able to read: Yes
Able to Write: Yes
Mother's Birth Place: Italy
Father's Birth Place: Italy
Image: 292

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Hi:
1920 United States Federal Census Record
Name: Pete Galli
[Peter Galli]
Estimated birth year: abt 1887
Home in 1920: Montello, Elko, Nevada
Marital status: Single
Relation to Head of House: Servant
Year of immigration: 1903
Image: 382
-------------------

and:
--------------------------
1930 United States Federal Census Record
Name: Pete Galli
Estimated birth year: abt 1886
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose Galli
Home in 1930: Elko, Elko, Nevada
sons: Michael, Pete, Robert
------------------
however: the Galli in Elko Nevada coming from Tuscany area and no Apulia (Puglia region...) also are :

Name: Albert Galli
City: Not Stated
County: Elko
State: Nevada
Birth Date: 9 Sep 1895
Race: Caucasian
Roll: 1711534
DraftBoard: 0

well about the town, I read something as Lamari aka Lammari /Lucca and for other record are Fivizzano and Coreglia (Coreglia Anteminelli) always Lucca area...
suggestions?
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

This post sounded a little familar to me. Not sure why I remember some and not others. Please see this post. Do you know the poster?

http://italiangenealogy.tardio.com/inde ... ight=galli
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

great VaDeb! was already an topic and always here....!however the "the heel of the boot" in Italy is the Puglia region and especially Lecce and Taranto area, because the Gargano area are confidentially called the" spur" and this because the Italy, in mediterranean sea, seems an boot... kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

just an bit:

-Name: Albert D Galli
Estimated birth year: abt 1888
Birthplace: California (?)
Home in 1920: Garrison, Millard, Utah
Home owned: Own
Marital status: Widow
Relation to Head of House: Head
Image: 639

-living with many sister in law Doutre surname.. canadian /french heritage...
Flora Doutre Garrison, Millard, Utah abt 1897 Utah White
Lumena Doutre Garrison, Millard, Utah abt 1899 Utah White
Alexander Doutre Garrison, Millard, Utah abt 1902 Utah White
Agnes Doutre Garrison, Millard, Utah abt 1903 Utah White
Amelia Doutre Garrison, Millard, Utah abt 1906 Utah

-and also are:
"William Doutre, an automobile dealer of Logan, was born in Gandy, Millard county, Utah, December 2, 1891. His father, Alfred Doutre was a native of Canada and with his arrival in Utah established his home in Millard county where for many years he engaged in sheep raising. However, he is now living in Montreal, Canada. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Malvina Yelle, was born in Quebec, Canada, and also survives. " referred to:
William Doutre Logan, Cache, Utah abt 1892 Utah

-well: about the Gallis in california was from:
Sorbano del Vescovo e del Giudice town and Lucca town...
now we have that Albert D. Galli was born in 1888

the Galli that came in USA and that coming from Apulia region, I found this towns(in 1772 records):
-Cerignola(no port)
-Ascoli Satriano (ditto)
-San Michele Bari near port
-Sant'Agata di Puglia no port
-Laterza near Taranto port

as you can see little rilevance of Galli in Apulia region... regards, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

but, if instead that Apulia, coming from Calabria region, as saying ".. foot etc.." well:
Alberto Galli Occupation Laborer
Age 22
Sex M
Literacy Y
Arrived 6 May 1901
Origin Italy
Port Havre
Last Residence Sant'ilario
Destination New York, New York
Plan Unknown
Ship La Champagne
Passage Unknown
... just an suggestion... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

finally:
"Pietro Galli immigrated to the US in 1902 ship La champaign to Wells Nevada we know him as Peter Galli

Brother

Unberto Galli immigrated to the US in 1903 ship La Savoie to Wells Nevada we know him as Albert Dean Galli

they both came from Saltuchso It." by kenneth monson

http://genforum.genealogy.com/nv/messages/1780.html
Umberto that came in USA joining Pietro brother in NY http://ellisisland.org/search/shipmanif ... 2614160342

No Apulia, no Calabria regions, but Tuscany: Saltocchio is an hamleth of Lucca....

MORE:" Peter Galli Married a Rose Moderelli 9/21/1916

Elipidio Galli and Rose Modarelli Galli have a child (girl)
Marie Inez Galli
Born 6/14/1920 and Dies 8/6/1920

1920 census has Elipedio (34), Rose(22) and Michael (1) living in Elko. by kenneth monson"

"There are marriage records in Eureka Nevada of a Peter Galli and a Rose Moderelli (Modarelli). The marriage date was 21 Sept 1916. (volume b, Page 45, marriage ID 305471)

Rose Monterelli is show on the 1920 census as a Rose Galli livimg in the Elko/ Carlin precinct.

Peter was released from prison in 1911, the european cross their 7's

The Galli boys probably entered the US from LA area, the port was not monitored. There are NO records untill 1907 when the port opened by customs. ther were about 500,000 Italians (fishers) living in LA area by that time.

Peter was a fireman,(1910 census) and probably stoked the fire on the trains. Wells Nevada in 1904 was a large hub for the Union Pacific RR. One line went from LA to wells andother from San Francisco to Wells and the third was to the Utah area. It was a big transporter of beef into the area.

There was ships in 1904 from Italy VIA South America to the west cost of the US.

Other records are WWI military records of which a Peter Galli dies of Tuberculosis and being from Fevizzano Italy. he had his next of Kin as a Verginia Galli. He died in 1919.

There are alos records in the Mound House Precinct reflection a Peter Galli.

He is also show as a worker for a cement co. in the same area.

Ther is a Pete Galli and a Peter Galli....I am only reflecting information on PETER>>>

30 years of working on this and I can not substanciate any of it....

Ken by kenneth monson "
http://genforum.genealogy.com/nv/messages/1777.html

well, you can say us something about this...?????????????????
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

Wow Suanj. Can't wait to hear from the poster about your research and if they know the other person who posted about this family.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

ehehe vadeb!!!! kisses, suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Essgee
Master
Master

Post by Essgee »

Think she may not have seen the info from early October at Genforum...the original messages were from 1999 and 2001. The answers there were 4 years after the initial posting....so she may not have gotten back to the site.....or her e-mail from that time changed so she didn't get the notification.

However, it is a problem when people do not state they have posted before, what they have found since the first post, etc. I am amazed at the number of people DESPARATE for information and then who never go and look if anyone ever answered their post. A few weeks ago, I got a note from a man that thanked me for my info, but he had just gotten it all from a relative...even though my info was the same but posted months ago....sort of like why did I bother since the info from "relatives" was more desireable. It is not this site, by the way. Just that lately everyone begs for information and then months go by and no response to whether or not they ever saw what you worked on. I find that frustrating so don't look as much as I used to. I like the constant back and forth with the poster...it adds to what you can find......

Maybe it is just me, but a few years ago, people were more gracious. Now they sort of expect help and don't even bother to tell you what they know so you repeat yourself many times over. This post, without reference to the original, is like that.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Essgee wrote: Just that lately everyone begs for information and then months go by and no response to whether or not they ever saw what you worked on. I find that frustrating so don't look as much as I used to. I like the constant back and forth with the poster...it adds to what you can find.......
I found a person’s family - and only posted half of the information (findings) up. This person has not replied nor has he/she replied to my private message. In my private message, I told him to “ go take a look.... a group of people from the forum discovered wonderful info about your familyâ€Â
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Essgee wrote:Think she may not have seen the info from early October at Genforum...the original messages were from 1999 and 2001. The answers there were 4 years after the initial posting....so she may not have gotten back to the site.....or her e-mail from that time changed so she didn't get the notification.

However, it is a problem when people do not state they have posted before, what they have found since the first post, etc. I am amazed at the number of people DESPARATE for information and then who never go and look if anyone ever answered their post. A few weeks ago, I got a note from a man that thanked me for my info, but he had just gotten it all from a relative...even though my info was the same but posted months ago....sort of like why did I bother since the info from "relatives" was more desireable. It is not this site, by the way. Just that lately everyone begs for information and then months go by and no response to whether or not they ever saw what you worked on. I find that frustrating so don't look as much as I used to. I like the constant back and forth with the poster...it adds to what you can find......

Maybe it is just me, but a few years ago, people were more gracious. Now they sort of expect help and don't even bother to tell you what they know so you repeat yourself many times over. This post, without reference to the original, is like that.
and... perhaps, from same author.... suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

mfjp wrote:
Essgee wrote: Just that lately everyone begs for information and then months go by and no response to whether or not they ever saw what you worked on. I find that frustrating so don't look as much as I used to. I like the constant back and forth with the poster...it adds to what you can find.......
I found a person’s family - and only posted half of the information (findings) up. This person has not replied nor has he/she replied to my private message. In my private message, I told him to “ go take a look.... a group of people from the forum discovered wonderful info about your familyâ€Â

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
judd

Post by judd »

This is great information. Thanks to all of you who researched and posted.
Some of the info I had already found, and managed to rule it out - but a lot of it is new!!
Thanks so much to all who responded.

Albert was born approx 1888
Peter was born approx 1892?
We are not sure whether he was older or younger than Albert.
The prison records say he was approx 25 when he was released from prison in 1917.
No other family that we know of.

Essgee and VaDeb - the poster earlier was my daughter. I didn't remember or realize that she had posted on this list. She works on this when she gets a little time. Thanks.

mfjp - the inmate in Napa is a mental patient - The birthdays are off a little, but still in the ball park. Our Peter already spent time in prison, I hope he doesn't die in a mental hospital!!!

suanj - The Albert Galli that was widowed and living with sister-in law, etc. That is my Grandfather. Good work! His wife died and he eventually married my grandmother.

the info on the towns in Apulia -
the Galli that came in USA and that coming from Apulia region, I found this towns(in 1772 records):
-Cerignola(no port)
-Ascoli Satriano (ditto)
-San Michele Bari near port
-Sant'Agata di Puglia no port
-Laterza near Taranto port -

I am going to find a better map so I can look at these towns.
All this will keep me busy for a while.
Thanks again to all.
Judd