Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cmm

Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Post by cmm »

Tyring to find out more information on my fathers side of the family. Specifically, my Grandfather Anthony Marchese's parents. I think my Great grand fathers name was Leonard Marchese and I think he married my great grand mother who's last name was Petruso. I am not completely sure if my great grand parents came from Palermo as they could have perhaps come out of Partinico, Italy. But I remember Palermo being spoken of when my grand fathers name come up.I am also curious if there were more than 3 children. I only have information on my grand father Anthony, my great uncle Salvatore and my great aunt Cahtherine. Any information would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

History that I do have on my grand father Anthony Marchese and is siblings:
Anthony had a brother, Salvatore and a sister Catherine Marchese. All three immigrated from Palermo, Italy through Ellis Island and remained in the Bronx, NY area.
Anthony DOB 2/5/1891, DOD 1/12/1969. Married Angelina Buscio
Salvatore DOB 1883, DOD 1963. Never married
Catherine DOB 12/8/1881, DOD 1/31/1946. Married Frank Cilluffo
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marchese from Palermo, Italy

Post by erudita74 »

cmm wrote:Tyring to find out more information on my fathers side of the family. Specifically, my Grandfather Anthony Marchese's parents. I think my Great grand fathers name was Leonard Marchese and I think he married my great grand mother who's last name was Petruso. I am not completely sure if my great grand parents came from Palermo as they could have perhaps come out of Partinico, Italy. But I remember Palermo being spoken of when my grand fathers name come up.I am also curious if there were more than 3 children. I only have information on my grand father Anthony, my great uncle Salvatore and my great aunt Cahtherine. Any information would be welcomed. Thanks in advance.

History that I do have on my grand father Anthony Marchese and is siblings:
Anthony had a brother, Salvatore and a sister Catherine Marchese. All three immigrated from Palermo, Italy through Ellis Island and remained in the Bronx, NY area.
Anthony DOB 2/5/1891, DOD 1/12/1969. Married Angelina Buscio
Salvatore DOB 1883, DOD 1963. Never married
Catherine DOB 12/8/1881, DOD 1/31/1946. Married Frank Cilluffo
Do you have a copy of Anthony and Angelina's marriage record? Their parents' names should be on that, although possibly misspelled-

Marchese Anofrio Jan 25 1919 Bronx record #295
Buscio Angelina Jan 25 1919 record #295 Bronx

To order a copy, if you don't have it-
http://www.nyc.gov/html/records/html/vi ... iage.shtml

His World War I draft registration card shows Palermo as his place of birth. Just don't know if it refers to the province of Palermo or the city itself

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1136782582

Erudita
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Partinico is given as his last residence as well as his place of birth on his June 24,1907 passenger list.

Erudita
cmm

Post by cmm »

Thank you so much and will try to obtain a copy of their marriage certificate from NYC.
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Another record which should have a place of birth and parents' names would be the application for a social security card-

Anthony Marchese, "United States Social Security Death Index"
Given Name: Anthony
Middle Name:
Surname: Marchese
Name Suffix:
Birth Date: 5 February 1891
Social Security Number: 067-10-0168
State: New York
Last Place of Residence: Bronx, New York
Previous Residence Postal Code: 10467
Event Date: January 1969

Here's information on how to obtain the application:
http://ssa-custhelp.ssa.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/118
http://www.ssa.gov/foia/request.html

BTW, there are some online records for Partinico at familysearch.org under Continental Europe. I don't see Onofrio's 1891 birth record there though. Also there are some online church records and I did not see a baptism record for him, at least in the parish whose records are online.

Erudita
cmm

Post by cmm »

Finally received a copy of my Grandparents marriage certificate (on my fathers side) and it states that my Great Grandfathers names was Leonard Marchese and his wife's, my Great Grandmothers maiden name was Paolina Petruso. The certificate states they were from Italy and does not give a region or area but, I do know that my Grandfather Onofrio (Anthony) Marchese was from the Palermo, Italy area so I am assuming this where my Great Grandparents came from too. With this new found information of my Great Grandparents names I am hoping to find additional information on them such as dates of birth and death and perhaps other Marchese relatives. Any help in this area would be most appreciated.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Did some searching came up with online records
Onofrio Marchese baptism record
1891 Feb 15th in the town of Partinico church of Maria Santissima Annunziata baptism of Onofrio Marchese son of Leonardo Marchese and Paolina Petruso

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351476601
CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE RECORD IS TOP RIGHT
record-image (440).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Good find, Marty
Erudita
cmm

Post by cmm »

Excellent and all great and good information on my Grandfather! Thank you so much!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Baptism of Maria Marchese
1872 Jan 15 in the town of Partinico church of Maria Santissima Annunziata baptism of Maria Marchese daughter of Leonardo Marchese and Paolina Petruso

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351041003

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE 4TH DOWN ON RIGHT
record-image (441).jpg
Marty
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Baptism of Alberta Marchese
1875 May 31st in the town of Partinico church of Maria Santissima Annunziata baptism of Alberta Marchese daughter of Leonardo Marchese and Paolina Petruso

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,351044401

CLICK ON IMAGE TO ENLARGE BOTTOM LEFT
record-image (442).jpg

Marty

Marty
cmm

Post by cmm »

OMG! Fabulous finds on both Maria and Alberta. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I looked for a marriage record of Leonardo Marchese and Paolina Petruso in Partinico didn't come up with anything. Also no baptism records for Salvatore and Caterina in Partinico Im starting to think a different birth town for them

Marty

Marty
cmm

Post by cmm »

Hi again Marty, I was just going to ask you about that if you found anything on Caterina or Salvatore. Yes, perhaps another town where they were baptized?
Here is what I have on for DOB's on Onofrio (Anthony) 2/5/1891, Caterina 12/8/1881 and Salvator in 1883. I am working on getting a death certificate for both of Salvator and Caterina so that may help in the search for their baptismal papers too.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

EDITED

Marty