Italian/Latin translation help needed for Liber Matrimonium

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
GeneTree
Rookie
Rookie

Italian/Latin translation help needed for Liber Matrimonium

Post by GeneTree »

My wife's paternal grandfather, Joseph D'Eliso was married 1911 to Angiolina Costantini in Citta Sant'Angelo. I have his Liber Matrimonium. I was able to do some preliminary translation to English using Google Translate but there is a lot to be determined. I know from their Italian Marriage Certificate the date. The name in the Italian Marriage Certificate is Guiseppe Di Liso while his name in the Latin one is Joseph D'Eliso. He used D'Eliso in all of his American documents.

I put ?marks where I guessed and (can't read) when I don't have a clue. I couldn't read the witnesses names or the Priest's name or the parish name. The church was Chiessa de S. Michele but I couldn't see that.

There was only one bann and not three performed but I don't understand the results of that. I would appreciate any translation help on this one.

Thanks,
Attachments
D'Eliso Joseph 1911 Liber Matrimonium translation.doc
here is my best translation of the Italian/Latin marriage document
(36.5 KiB) Downloaded 125 times
D'Eliso, Joseph 1911 Liber Matrimonium001.pdf
here is the Italian/Latin marriage document
(658.48 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Italian/Latin translation help needed for Liber Matrimon

Post by erudita74 »

No legitimate impediments resulted from the one bann which was announced at the Mass. The couple had received a dispensation, for whatever reason, so the other two banns were waived.

The second witness was Partaliana, daughter of Andrea Matteo (surname in the town is "di Matteo."

The "arch" is an English abbreviation for the Italian word "arciprete"-like a monsignor-or head of the parish

Erudita
GeneTree
Rookie
Rookie

Post by GeneTree »

Thank you erudita74. Very helpful and much appreciated. I was surprised that an English abbreviation for an Italian word would be in a Latin church document.
GeneTree
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

GeneTree wrote:Thank you erudita74. Very helpful and much appreciated. I was surprised that an English abbreviation for an Italian word would be in a Latin church document.
GeneTree

You're very welcome. Even Partaliana's name in the record has an "h" after the "t." I don't know the reason.

Erudita