Maria Rosa Missanelli's real identity

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Maria Rosa Missanelli's real identity

Post by chrisdamato »

My great great grandmother Maria Rosa was born, according to census records in NYC, in Nov 1945. Since her daughters were born in Anzi, I assume she was born there as well. However, I could not find any evidence of her birth. Two daughters were born to unknown fathers and the other daughter has no record at all.

Was it common in those instances for the children to take the mother's name? Is Missanelli her married name or maiden name?

Also, she came to the U.S. in 1892 using a different name, Esposito, with the daughter that I've found no birth record for.

How can I find out more information about this. I'm at a dead end.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Maria Rosa Missanelli's real identity

Post by liviomoreno »

Women in Italy keep their maiden name also after marriage. How do you know that the Maria Rosa Esposito arriving in 1892 is your Maria Rosa Missanelli?
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Perhaps the ANZI census office (Anagrafe) can confirm her birth in NYC since her Identity card will show her nationality as AMERICANA. This e-mail address will also forward you birth,marriage and death records so long as you have a full name and an approximate year of birth within a 5 year period (I recall that a decade was the limit that would warrant a search of STATO CIVILE (vital stats.) records but lately the 5 year approximation appears tol be operative. Start there. If there is a charge (since BMD records are free of charge) you may receive an invoice first from the census people. The e-mail address is Comuneanzi@rete.basilicata.it

The ellisisand records show one daughter Michelina with Maria Missanelli, Italian nationality,married and destined to her husband in Chicago and she was formerly residing in Brindisi Montagna (PZ) basilicata) Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Chris wasn't Maria Rosa Missanelli born in 1845 and her daughter was Antoniette Missanelli born in Anzi 5/13/1888

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Marty, yes, her daughter was Antonietta. I have deduced from the records that she used the Esposito surname based on information from the US census. It listed Rosa, Antonietta, and Giovanna as coming to American in 1892. I found Antonietta's ship manifest but couldn't find Rosa or Giovanna until I went through every name on that same ship manifest and found a Rosa Esposito and daughter Giovanna a few pages down from Antonietta. The two ages matched exactly. Now, I admit they could be entirely different people but until that's proven, the evidence suggests that it might be them!!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

I apologize for the duplicate. It's now the second time I've done this. I log into the forum after long periods of no activity and merely forgot to just add to an older thread.

As for Rosa and her daughters, my frustration grows all the time. I don't know if I'll ever solve the mystery of who Rosa is and what happened to the fathers.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I don't agree with your Esposito theory Chris. For not all Esposito's in Anzi are born with parents out of wedlock in Anzi........... I think Rosa Maria had children with a man chose not to named at the time it could have been the same man who fathered both children Also I think the father would have recognized Maria Carmela Missanelli at her wedding to make her legitimate

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Marty,

I have marriage and death certificates for all 3 children. There are different fathers listed on each marriage certificate and even different fathers listed on their death certificates that do not match the father on the marriage cert. One of the fathers names was Julio Missanelli. If Maria Rosa's maiden name was Missanelli, then Julio surely cannot be of the same surname??
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Maybe US records but Maria Carmela Missanelli marriage act says padre ignoto

Marty

Marty
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

That's correct. She is the only one of the 3 daughters to marry before coming to the U.S.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

Marty, I know you disagree with my Esposito name theory, but could it be possible that she just used that name when traveling? Perhaps she didn't want the father(s) to know she was leaving?

By the way, there are two Esposito family members living at her address in the 1905 census. That was one of the reasons I came up with the theory that she used that surname on the ship manifest. It just seemed to make sense to me.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

I would say those Esposito's were relatives or close friends for Esposito is a surname of Anzi .......

Marty

Marty
cleo.1989

Post by cleo.1989 »

My name is Antonella, my mother is Maria Benedetta Donata Missanelli born in Anzi in 1931 and died on 15 November 2023.
Some of his relatives migrated to America, his father went to America for some periods to visit his relatives. They could be relatives