Ancestry.com records

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Ancestry.com records

Post by chrisdamato »

Has anybody heard anything about Ancestry posting civil registration records prior to 1860? It would certainly make life easier if I could search the card catalog instead of ordering small microfilms from the LDS library that may contain only 2 years worth of records.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: Ancestry.com records

Post by PeterTimber »

The Ancestry.com search section goes back to 1600 and probably goes back even earlier. Peter
~Peter~
chrisdamato
Elite
Elite

Post by chrisdamato »

I'm sorry. I should have been more specific. I'm looking for records from Laurenzana and Anzi prior to 1860. It would make things so much easier for me to do multiple searches rather than ordering films in 2-5 year increments.
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Familysearch.org has way more digitalized Italian records than Ancestry.com. Compared to the constant additions by the Mormon site, Ancestry.com has been essentially asleep for at least two years when it comes to new Italian records and is just living on its undeserved reputation. Here are some free links that may help people find digitalized Italian records:

https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... Id=1927178

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.it/?q=gallery

http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... o+di+Bari/
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

This year Ancestry has added a lot of birth and marriage records from FamilySearch prior to 1860, at least for Sicily. Specifically, the records that are "indexed" online on FamilySearch are now also available on Ancestry, with all the same errors. These records are mainly from before 1860. However, the Ancestry records have less information than the FS ones; for example, the birth records on Ancestry inexplicably lack the parents' ages, which the source records on FS have. The marriage records were added more recently, but they still haven't added the death records from FS.

Edit to add:
I just checked Antenati and FS and don't see any records on either site for Anzi or Laurenzana from before 1860. Thus I wouldn't expect Ancestry to have any either. Your best (or even only) option may be to order the microfilms from FamilySearch and view them at your local Family History Center:

https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
https://familysearch.org/search/catalog ... %20Library
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Speak of the devil. Ancestry has just added Sicilian death records from FS as well. As usual they have less information than the ones indexed on FS, which themselves have less information than the actual records on microfilm.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Laurenzana and Anzi are Comune located in Basilicata and so should have records (if not bruned,bombed,or destroyed back to 1809 since Napoleon established the Modern Bureaucracy and imposed same upon the Kingdom of the Two Sicilies and established same in Sicily 1920. Northern Italy was also impaneled with the same policy of bureaucracy but when Naopoleon departed the northern communes did not maintaoin the bureaucracy and some communes kept up the system and others abandoned the system....hit or miss. Send the commune's an e-mail and ask!!

If their records back to 1809 were destroyed you might request copies from the Archivio di Stato in Potenza and Matera.
~Peter~
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Carrubia, that seemingly makes no sense unless ancestry.com is not showing a photographic "copy" of the actual civil record. A birth document is a birth document. How could it have less information such as ages of parents on the same document as FamilySearch and still be a photographic copy of the original civil record? I cannot imagine Ancestry.com spending the time to partially translate civil records and put them on their own "form". I also have not seen records prior to 1860 for the towns I want on Ancestry.com.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

I do not know when comunes started sending copies to the Archivio di Stato to the provincial capitals but if you send emails to their respective offices in Potenza at as-pz@beniculurali.com and for Matera as-mt@beniculturali.com and make your request see what they come back with. Peter
~Peter~
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

rp76226 wrote:Carrubia, that seemingly makes no sense unless ancestry.com is not showing a photographic "copy" of the actual civil record. A birth document is a birth document. How could it have less information such as ages of parents on the same document as FamilySearch and still be a photographic copy of the original civil record? I cannot imagine Ancestry.com spending the time to partially translate civil records and put them on their own "form". I also have not seen records prior to 1860 for the towns I want on Ancestry.com.
What ancestry.com has done is taken the Italy, Select Deaths and Burials, 1809-1900 (in Italian) from familysearch.org and put them in there catalog list The information has been indexed from the death record indexes and they give the FHL film number if you want the actual record same for selected marriages and births

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Marty, if they took it from the indexes, that should normally show the parents names which would be very helpful. Are they showing that? If yes, is it just showing these as a person's hint on their Overview screen, or is there also a drill down from the Search link to reach those records. If yes, what's the drill down process to see the entire index for a comune for a given year?
Ron
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

If it's with all the other commune info from the Card catalog when you put in the keyword Italy, I know the drill down. My town isn't updated yet.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

adelfio wrote:
rp76226 wrote:Carrubia, that seemingly makes no sense unless ancestry.com is not showing a photographic "copy" of the actual civil record. A birth document is a birth document. How could it have less information such as ages of parents on the same document as FamilySearch and still be a photographic copy of the original civil record? I cannot imagine Ancestry.com spending the time to partially translate civil records and put them on their own "form". I also have not seen records prior to 1860 for the towns I want on Ancestry.com.
What ancestry.com has done is taken the Italy, Select Deaths and Burials, 1809-1900 (in Italian) from familysearch.org and put them in there catalog list The information has been indexed from the death record indexes and they give the FHL film number if you want the actual record same for selected marriages and births

Marty
Ancestry is using the FamilySearch indexes to tease the user in "buying up" to a world explorer membership to allow the user to view the index with the FHL film number.

For the time being at least, FamilySearch is the better option.......and the free one.
TerraLavoro
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

rp76226 wrote:Carubia, that seemingly makes no sense unless ancestry.com is not showing a photographic "copy" of the actual civil record. A birth document is a birth document. How could it have less information such as ages of parents on the same document as FamilySearch and still be a photographic copy of the original civil record? I cannot imagine Ancestry.com spending the time to partially translate civil records and put them on their own "form". I also have not seen records prior to 1860 for the towns I want on Ancestry.com.
There are 2 ways that records are online on FamilySearch. One is actual images of records, generally for after 1861. The other is "indexes" (FS's terminology), which are transcriptions of some of the information in the record, done by FS "indexers," and are viewable using FS's search feature. These indexed records are usually from the period 1821 to 1861. Note that these indexes are different from (and contain more information than) the actual indexes that were found within the original record collections themselves.

Ancestry has taken the FS indexed records and added them to their site. They have not transcribed them themselves. However, the information that Ancestry has copied from FS is less than the information available in FS's indexes on FS's website.

I know that you are looking for records from Racalmuto and some other towns in Agrigento. There are definitely records for these towns indexed on FS from before 1861 and now these records are on Ancestry, too.

On Ancestry, they show up as hints as usual. However, if you already had someone in your tree at the time when these records were added to Ancestry, you won't get any of these new hints for that person until you modify that person's profile or the profile of another person on the record (such as a parent or spouse).
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Regarding Family search indexes, I think you are referring to doing a search on a person, then getting responses from family search on people with the same name. Click on one of those persons and you see a single screen with whatever info they have. Here's an example:

http://postimg.org/image/jlpmwkdil/

Is this example what you mean by index? If not, please tell me how to find what you are talking about.