Marriage in Laurenzana - Motta/Martoccia

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dita531
Rookie
Rookie

Marriage in Laurenzana - Motta/Martoccia

Post by dita531 »

Hi,
I was hoping someone can help me translate this. I believe this is my 2nd great grandparents marriage - Guiseppe Nicola Motta and Maria Teresa Filomena Martoccia
I know the year is 1870 and I think it says Guiseppe is a shepard?

I'd love to what date this is (is it May?) and who the other people (Angela Fanelli? I have those on the other side) are.

It starts on record # 1 bottom right and seems to finish on record # 2 on the left.
But then I see their names again on #3 on the right margin.

Thank you so much for anyone who can help!
Attachments
#3 Names are mentioned on top right - not sure why
#3 Names are mentioned on top right - not sure why
#2 I think it ends on the left
#2 I think it ends on the left
#1  Starts on the bottom right
#1 Starts on the bottom right
erudita74
Master
Master

Re: Marriage in Laurenzana - Motta/Martoccia

Post by erudita74 »

Record #46 bottom record you posted
is dated May 14, 1870 at 8 a.m. in the town hall of Laurenzana.
This is not an actual marriage record but rather a request that marriage publications, or banns of marriage, be made for the couple.
Appearing was Giuseppe Nicola Motta, a shepherd, age 22, the son of Antonio (Motta), also a shepherd, and Angela Fanelli, a spinner. The groom had been born in Laurenzana, living on Strada del Monte. He had never been married previously.
Also appearing was Maria Teresa Martoccia, age 23, a peasant. She was the daughter of Giuseppe Martoccia, a shepherd, and Rachele Marotta, a spinner. She was born in the town and living on via del Monte. She too had never before been married.
Witnesses were Luigi Romano, the son of deceased Francesco Romano, age 45, a servant living in Laurenzana, and Giovanni ?, son of Rocco, age 34, a domestic, Giovanni had been born in Calvello but was living in Laurenzana.
The couple expressed their desire to be united in matrimony and to have their marriage publications made in accordance with their wish. The groom had been born on April 19, 1848, and the bride had been on April 2, 1847. No impediments to the marriage resulted from their first and second publications which were made on the 15th and 22nd of the current month.

Record #49, the one at the top (starting on the bottom left) is the 1st marriage publication which was dated on the 15th of May.

The first marriage publication remained posted for a week when it was replaced by the second publication. That would remain in effect for three full days. Anytime after the expiration of the second publication, the marriage could then take place, assuming that no impediments or obstacles resulted from the posting of the publications.

Erudita
dita531
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dita531 »

Does it say anywhere if Giuseppe Nicola Motta is the birth son of Antonio (Motta)? I have Giuseppe Nicola Motta as a Jr. And rather than Angela Fanelli being the mother I have Angela Martina.

Also in my tree I have Theresa Pisini and Rachele Marotta as Maria Teresa Filomina Martoccia's mother. I'm guessing there was a second marriage.. just wondering if it indicates if Rachele is a birth mother.

Thank you so much for your help! I really appreciate it. I can't believe the fast response!! Now I have even more research.

Sorry one more- is the attached the actually marriage (#56, middle right) ? If so, what is the date please!
Thank you, thank you thank you!
Attachments
#56, middle right
#56, middle right
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

in the documents you previously posted, the words used are "figlio" for son and "figlia" for daughter. I believe that there is an underlying assumption that they are the natural children of the individuals in question. There is nothing in the documents to lead one to believe otherwise.

The record you just posted is the 2nd marriage publication and not the actual marriage record. It was dated May 22nd and ended by the 26th. Parents' names are the same as I already told you.

Erudita