last name changes

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Richard Connell

last name changes

Post by Richard Connell »

My Grandfathers name was changed from CAUTILLI to CANTELLI when he came to the US, His birth record from Italy has CAUTILLI, is it possible to have a deceased persons name changed to the original name in the US/Massachusetts in particular. HELP needed Please and Thanks very much.

Regards
Richard
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Re: last name changes

Post by PeterTimber »

You might wish to consult with your local County Court Clerk's office and speak to that office about the circumstances of a name change that you outlined above for the State of Massachusetts. Peter
~Peter~
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

You need to look at amendments/corrections to vital records on this web site. Is this a change you need to make for Italian CItizenship recognition?

http://www.mass.gov/eohhs/gov/departmen ... oa/vitals/

Also, what records would require correction? (I am assuming marriage and death?)
TerraLavoro
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

After a quick glance, the office advises that you call or email with your specific question prior to visiting the office in person: Call: (617) 740-2600 or email: vital.regulation@state.ma.us

Good luck.
TerraLavoro
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

How do you know that his name was Cautilli in Italy? I ask because Cautilli and Cantilli are very rare names whereas Cantelli is common, in Emilia Romagna at least. Also, an "n" can look like a "u" (and vice versa) in handwritten Italian records.
TerraLavoro
Elite
Elite

Post by TerraLavoro »

Richard, do you know the town of your GF's birth in Italy? I can tell you that in the Lazio region today, there are approx. 40 people with the Cautilli last name. (it is present in one of my ancestral towns).
TerraLavoro
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

...........perhaps putting in the reason for the name change will clarify and bring forth suggestions that others with the same problem faced or are knowledgeable about can assist you further. Peter
~Peter~
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Richard Connell, if your grand-father was born in Italy to Italian parents, I would put 100% trust in the name that was transcribed by his commune on his birth record. In most cases, the Italian authorities got it right and the American authorities got it wrong, no matter how "rare" the name is supposed to be, according to some -- mostly those who are mis-informed, I might add.
PeterTimber
Master
Master

Post by PeterTimber »

Surname changes occur over the centuries (my own surname changed 6 times over an almost millennium period) and I daresay that whatever the letter or letters that changed occureds then the "new" spelling becomes the correct spelling if the change is overlooked or goes unnoticed. Peter
~Peter~