Marriage Banns - Sansevrino/Peluso

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Marriage Banns - Sansevrino/Peluso

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Looking at Index No 6: Sansevrino Vito Antonio e Peluso Maddalena
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... 1853425333

Can someone please translate what it is saying in the supplementary section above the signatures starting from “I documenti sono: …..... I know that it is talking about the groom and Caracas (America) (Venezuela I guess) but I'm unable to decipher all the words and so am just getting the gist. It also mentions that the groom was in Caracas (America) in the body of the record.

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Marriage Banns - Sansevrino/Peluso

Post by liviomoreno »

"I documenti sono: le copie degli atti di nascita degli sposi, rilasciate da questo Ufficio dello Stato Civile con la data dell'otto corrente mese, nonché copia dell'atto di notorietà raccolto ieri dal Pretore di Moliterno da cui consti che lo sposo Sansevrino negli anni cinque e mezzo di dimora in Caracas (America) non ha contratto alcun matrimonio. Lo stesso nella classe di leva dell'anno milleottocentosessanta a cui viene rimandato fu riformato dal servizio militare per deficienza di statura."
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you for typing all this Livio.

So focussing on Vito, if I'm understanding correctly, he lived in Caracas for five and half years during which time he did not marry. He must have been born in 1860 and not 1858 which his marriage and death record indicate. He was unable to undergo military service because of some “deficiency of stature” (unfit) whatever that might mean.

Angela :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Yes, he wasn't tall enough.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

I wondered whether that was what it meant. So, what was the required height? Do you know?

Angela
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'm not sure but I believe the limit was 160cm (63inches)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
I found this. You'll have to convert the cm to ft and inches
Erudita

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2831262/

A detailed list of conditions automatically disqualified a conscript from service. These included obvious defects such as blindness or crippled limbs; diseases such as syphilis, tuberculosis, and epilepsy; and insufficient size or strength. Regarding these last attributes, an MHR was initially set at 156 cm; a limit for reexamination deferral, at 154 cm; and a minimum chest circumference, at 80 cm. The MHR was reduced to 155 cm in 1883, to 154 cm in 1913, and to 150 cm in 1917. The reexamination threshold was reduced to 153 cm in 1883 and to 148 cm in 1917.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Livio and Erudita, thank you both for your replies and for taking the time to summarise here Erudita. The article is very interesting. I'll reread it again later. (I remember being told that if you doubled a child's height at their 2 year old medical check, this would indicate their adult height (under normal conditions, I guess)? This formula rings true with my children – maybe a coincidence?)

Angela :)
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Hi Angela
Happy I found that article.
Erudita