I was wondering if the name Serio and Lo Serio would be considered the same?
Thank you,
Names
Re: Names
chickenwoman wrote:I was wondering if the name Serio and Lo Serio would be considered the same?
Thank you,
In the book Our Italian Surnames by Prof Joseph G Fucilla, he states that the surname Serio is derived from a desirable quality -being serious or sober. He doesn't mention the surname with Lo at the beginning, but that should simply change the translation to "the serious one," or the "sober one." So I don't think the meaning really changes with the addition of "Lo" at the beginning of the surname. I think the origin of both surnames would basically be the same.
Erudita
- chickenwoman
- Veteran

- Posts: 161
- Joined: 23 Jun 2010, 01:44
- Location: California
- liviomoreno
- Master

- Posts: 7116
- Joined: 13 Feb 2004, 00:00
- Location: Rome, Italy
- Contact:
Re: Names
Diana, the fact that that Serio and Lo Serio have the same root does not imply that the surname is interchangeable. In the same time frame and in the same town we may find a Mario Lo Serio and a Mario Serio, that are 2 distinguished persons and not even related.