Immigration information

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
jimgee53

Immigration information

Post by jimgee53 »

I am trying to search any ship manifests from Italy to the port of Philadelphia or Baltimore in the early part of the nineteenth century (around 1907) for any info about my grandfather Giuseppi Cargioli who immigrated from Tuscany near Massa Cararra. Does anyone know of a site like that established for NY Ellis Island where I might be able to find information from ship records for Philly or Baltimore? (already tried the NY Ellis Island site and there is no record). Thanks!
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Immigration information

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello and welcome to the forum!

Can you provide a few more details for Giuseppe Cargioli?

Approx. year of birth?
Where in US he settled?
Names of spouse/children?

Some of us have subscriptions to other genealogy sites and might be able to find his arrival.

FYI - I located an arrival for a Giovanni Cargioli and his wife Adelina arriving 1906 and joining Giovanni's brother Giuseppe in Erie, PA...
Anything here relate to your ancestor?
Giuseppe E. Cargioli
Find A Grave Index
Name: Giuseppe E. Cargioli
Event Type: Burial
Event Date: 1950
Event Place: Erie, Erie, Pennsylvania, United States of America
Photograph Included: Yes
Birth Date: 1879
Death Date: 1950
Affiliate Record Identifier: 9298291
Cemetery: Calvary Cemetery

ALSO... Here is a link to the Stephen Morse "One-Step" Webpages...
Scroll down and you will find links for searching Baltimore and Philadelphia Port Arrivals, among others. :D
http://stevemorse.org/

T.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Welcome to IG website What was his wifes name? Luchrizia Meri Marchini Did they come from the town of Fosdinovo?

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
jimgee53

Post by jimgee53 »

Thanks for the info! My grandfather's name was Giuseppi Ettore Cargioli. His wife, my grandmother, was Luchrezia nee Marchini. My grandfather I believe was born in 1880, my grandmother in 1883. Fosdinovo might be the town where they were born although my grandmother always talked about Massa Carrara as the nearest city. My grandfather died in 1950, my grandmother in 1971.

Giovanni Cargioli might be my great uncle although I don't recognize the name. I can research that with my immediate family. I never met my grandfather as he died three years before I was born. And yes, they settled in Erie, PA. where I was born. They had the following children who survived to adulthood: Julia, Frank, Melio (Mead), Gino, and Hilda, my mother who is their only surviving child just turned 98 this October.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Fosdinovo is a town in the Province of Massa and Carrara in the Tuscany region.
A neighboring frazione (village) is Aulla, which was the last place of residence for GIOVANNI Cargioli on the above manifest :-)

Here is the birth record of GIUSEPPE ETTORE CARGIOLI in 1880 in Fosdinovo.
Born on 29 April... birth declared to the official of the town on 1 May, by his father, Francesco, 36, peasant farmer, who declared the child was born to his wife Paola Baldacchini(sp?)
The child was not physically presented because it was a long distance from where they resided in Ponzanello (a hamlet of the town of Fosdinovo)

Record #81 on right
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349359701

T.
jimgee53

Post by jimgee53 »

Thanks so much! This is great info! I know my grandmother used to joke that she came to America because she was tired of herding sheep! I believe she and my grandfather Giuseppi were married in the US so I will try to search for her with her maiden name Marchini.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Possible birth record of Lucrezia Anna Maria Marchini
INDEX#117
1883 Aug 9th in the town of Fosdinovo birth of Lucrezia Anna Maria Marchini daughter of Andrea Marchini age 40 farmer (son of deceased Francesco) and his wife Maddalena Martelli

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349359701

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the arrival manifest for Lucrezia Marchini (transcribed as Luergia :) )

Lucrezia Marchini, age 20, single, from Fosdinovo, going to join her sister Errichetta in Erie, PA

New York, Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Luergia Marchini
Name: Luergia Marchini
Arrival Date: 14 Apr 1904
Birth Date: abt 1884
Ethnicity/ Nationality: Italian (North) (Italian)
Port of Departure: Genoa, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Konigin Luise

Line 18

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Here is the Marriage Allegati (attachments) for the marriage of Lucrezia's parents... in 1873.

Groom: Carlo Andrea Marchini, 27, single, peasant farmer born in Marciaso (a frazione of Fosdinovo), residing in Marciaso, son of deceased Francesco, and of living Angela Ridondelli.
Bride: Maddalena Martelli, 26, single, peasant farmer born in Marciaso, residing in Marciaso, daughter of Domenico, and of Angela Remaggi.

Included in the pages following the cover sheet are
1 - Baptism of Carlo Andrea, son of Francesco (who is the son of living Giovanni Battista) Marchini, and of his legitimate wife Angela, daughter of the living Francesco Ridondelli. He was born on 21 April 1844, record dated 24 April 1844.
2 - Baptism of Maddalena Martelli, daughter of Domenico (who is son of living Carlo) Martelli, and of his legitimate wife Angelina Remaggi . Dated 11 December 1845
3 - Certificate of Publication of marriage Banns dated 13 July 1873.

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,349349202

T.
jimgee53

Post by jimgee53 »

Thanks everyone for such great thorough research on my maternal grandparents! This is filling in so many blanks!!!!! Grazie!!!!