Cuppare Family from Reggio di Calabria, Italy

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Cuppare Family from Reggio di Calabria, Italy

Post by cuppare »

Giuseppe Cuppare, b. 1877 in Reggio Calabria Italy, married in NYC to Rosina Bagnato, b. 15 Jan 1894, daughter of Rocco Bagnato, in Reggio Calabria Italy. They lived in the Rochester NY area. Unable to find any information on the surname Cuppare or variations of the surname. Anyone else working on a Cuppare family?
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Cuppare Family from Reggio di Calabria, Italy

Post by brujaojos »

cuppare wrote:Giuseppe Cuppare, b. 1877 in Reggio Calabria Italy, married in NYC to Rosina Bagnato, b. 15 Jan 1894, daughter of Rocco Bagnato, in Reggio Calabria Italy. They lived in the Rochester NY area. Unable to find any information on the surname Cuppare or variations of the surname. Anyone else working on a Cuppare family?
Hi There,

I did find this interesting in NYC. It could be clues.

Name - Marriage Date - County of Marriage - Certificate # - Soundex
Cuppari Giuseppe A Apr 26 1909 Manhattan 8610 C160
Cuffari Giuseppe Aug 20 1923 Manhattan 30005 C160

I did find them in the 1930 census with the following information. Giuseppe was when he got married. Rosa was 19 when she got married. Giuseppe came to the USA about 1905. Rosa came to the USA about 1910. The children were all born in Pennsylvania.

Name: Joseph Cuppara
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose Cuppara
Race: White
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York

I hope this helps,
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

I never would have thought to spell Cuppare as "Cuffari".....?

Excellent clues! I have an estimated date of marriage of 1910, first child born in 1913, possibly all children born in Lewsi Run, PA (unable to follow that track since all records were destroyed by fire)

Just happened to be talking to a descendant on the phone when your note posted - Giuseppe was supposedly married before and had children before he married Rose. These two marriage dates could corroborate that story. so I'll need to request copies of both M/C from NY.

Thank you!
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

brujaojos wrote:
cuppare wrote:Giuseppe Cuppare, b. 1877 in Reggio Calabria Italy, married in NYC to Rosina Bagnato, b. 15 Jan 1894, daughter of Rocco Bagnato, in Reggio Calabria Italy. They lived in the Rochester NY area. Unable to find any information on the surname Cuppare or variations of the surname. Anyone else working on a Cuppare family?
Hi There,

I did find this interesting in NYC. It could be clues.

Name - Marriage Date - County of Marriage - Certificate # - Soundex
Cuppari Giuseppe A Apr 26 1909 Manhattan 8610 C160
Cuffari Giuseppe Aug 20 1923 Manhattan 30005 C160

I did find them in the 1930 census with the following information. Giuseppe was when he got married. Rosa was 19 when she got married. Giuseppe came to the USA about 1905. Rosa came to the USA about 1910. The children were all born in Pennsylvania.

http://img483.imageshack.us/img483/5530 ... cup9tc.jpg

Name: Joseph Cuppara
Estimated birth year: abt 1884
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Rose Cuppara
Race: White
Home in 1930: Rochester, Monroe, New York

I hope this helps,
Trish
A viewable census record has been linked.
mfjp :P
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

about spelling surname is CUPPARi tipical of Reggio Calabria area... regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

I was told it was pronounced "coopar" so my spelling versions were along those lines. Thank you for correcting that so I can use Cuppari and other versions in my searches!
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by VaDeb »

"I have an estimated date of marriage of 1910, first child born in 1913, possibly all children born in Lewsi Run, PA (unable to follow that track since all records were destroyed by fire)"

Are you sure the birth records have been destroyed. The State of PA has been the central repository for all births in that state since 1906. Did the state or a local office tell you records were destroyed in a fire? I would double check with the state if the information was not from them.

http://www.dsf.health.state.pa.us/healt ... 8&Q=202219
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

When one of the children of Giuseppe requested a copy of his birth certificate when he was either enlisting in WWII or getting married, he was told that the Lewis Run PA records were destroyed by fire. He was instructed to use his baptismal certificate instead for his proof of birth.
But, that's a good suggestion to followup with PA and see if they have a birth record. It wouldn't hurt to send away for a request....
Thank you!
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Hi Suanj,

Surname CUPPARI (instead of Cuppare), typical of Reggio Calabria area...

Is this a common surname or an unusual surname?

cuppare
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

it is common surname... suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Thank you, suanj!

cuppare
janisc77

Post by janisc77 »

Guiseppe Cuppare and Rose Cuppare are my grandparents, what information are you trying to get? They changed there name its not Cuppare anymore. Hasnt been since 1940. The child that your referring to that requested birth certificate to enlist in army. That was my father. I was just curious to know why people are trying to get information about my family. Is this for school or something? You can email me questions.

Janis Rochester ny
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

Hi Janis,
Giuseppe and Rose are my husband Michael's grandparents. Michael's parents are Rocky and Lucy Cooper. Rocco has been using his baptismal certificate as his proof of birth, since he has no birth record. I did know the name was changed in the '40's, but haven't found official paperwork for the name change yet. I've been working on my family history and Michael's family history off and on for the past 20 yrs. Are you Uncle Tony's daughter? If so, I've been in contact with Ron, Uncle Augie's son, for more info on Giuseppe and Rose, but we only have a maiden name for Rose and nothing on the parents for Giusppe. Do you have more info or papers that would tell ue more about Giuseppe and Rose's parents/grandparents in Italy?
cuppare
janisc77

Post by janisc77 »

Yes I am Tony's daughter, and I have the original name change papers.
I have some information but I am not sure what your looking for.

What did you need to know about Rose and Giuseppe?

Your husbands father should know this information about his own parents.

What information are you looking for? I can try to assist you if I can.
cuppare
Rookie
Rookie

Post by cuppare »

We had heard that Tony died - Michael and I send our sympathies to you and your family.
My father in law, Rocco, has given me all the information that he knows about his parents. I know that Rose's parents were Rocco Bagnato and Paola Tellarida and they married about 1910 (unknown place of marriage). But I have no information on who Giuseppe's parents were and my father in law either doesn't know or doesn't remember (he's in his mid 80's).
What I need to locate is a copy of Giuseppe and Rose's marriage certificate as well as copies of their birth certificates from Italy. Dad Cooper doesn't have copies of any of those documents. Do you have any of that original paperwork?
Thanks, cuppare