Bardi dialect

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
Lee123

Bardi dialect

Post by Lee123 »

My family are from Bardi. Now i'm booked in to do an Italian language course, but my mum says my grandmother didn't really understand Italian, as she and her family spoke a ''Bardi Piacenza'' dialect very unlike modern Italian.

My question is, is this correct? I hear the grammar is different also.Will I be understood speaking my new fancy Italian tongue in Bardi? the place I am thinking of moving to.. :lol:

Thanks again for your replies Lee
arturo.c
Veteran
Veteran

Re: Bardi dialect

Post by arturo.c »

You should definitely not worry about that. Decades of TV watching put the kibosh on the daily use of dialects in Italy. Nowadays only people of a certain age maintain some fluency in what was once the local language, while younger people mostly communicate with others in a more or less standard form of Italian.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: Bardi dialect

Post by liviomoreno »

arturo.c wrote:You should definitely not worry about that. Decades of TV watching put the kibosh on the daily use of dialects in Italy. Nowadays only people of a certain age maintain some fluency in what was once the local language, while younger people mostly communicate with others in a more or less standard form of Italian.
Are you sure? Ever been to Naples or Trieste? (just to mention two towns)