Luigi Tinelli

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
joboy

Luigi Tinelli

Post by joboy »

The free index to BMD registers.co.uk (paysite) indicates birth/baptism records for Julia Eliza TINELLI in 1843 in Portugal, as recorded in the GRO's Miscellaneous Foreign Returns and Foreign Registers (RG 32/1 and RG 33/142, references to records held by TNA).

These records may be consistent with an indexed baptism for Julia at the British Factory Chaplaincy in Oporto on 22 Feb 1843, found on Family Search's Record Search Pilot.
The 1900 Manhattan census has Julia Twitchin 54 widow born Spain and father born Italy and mother born New York.
Father was Louis W Tinnelli.
Julia Twitchin (nee Lush) married my 1st cousin 5 (times removed) Richard Twitchin 25 April 1880 Manhattan see here;
Robert Twitchin
of 72nd st. and 9th Ave.
47 years old
Butcher
b. London England
Father: Joshua
Mother: Julia Quarterman
2nd marriage

Julia Eliza Lush
36 years old
b. Aporto Portugal
Father: Louis Walter Tinelli
Mother: Caroline Lawson
2nd marriage

Louis Walter Tinelli's father was Luigi Tinelli see here;
Tinelli, Luigi; born in Italy; Major in the Garibaldi Guards; transfered to become the Colonel of his own regiment, the 90th New York. National Archives Service Records of Louis Tinelli's Pension. During the war Tinelli recruited the Handcock Guards, which later were consolidated with the McClellan Rifles. Tinelli's two sons joined the Union as officers. At 18, Francis Tinelli enlisted as a private in his father's regiment, but was discharged to accept a commission as a lieutenant in the 13th Heavy Artillery, and Joseph J. Tinelli was acting Master in the Navy. In May of 1863, Louis Tinelli contracted malaria and was discharged for disability on the 31st, in New Orleans. Tinelli served with four companies at Fort Jefferson, Key West and Tortuga, Florida; died 1873 Key West, Fl.

I have been unable to find where Luigi Tinelli was born in italy or his marriage(s) and need help whith this.
Joe
pink67
Master
Master

Re: Luigi Tinelli

Post by pink67 »

If you're talking about this Luigi Tinelli then he was born in Laveno, Lombardy region:

http://it.wikipedia.org/wiki/Luigi_Tinelli

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laveno-Mombello

Laura
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

pink67 wrote:If you're talking about this Luigi Tinelli then he was born in Laveno, Lombardy region:
I think you are right! Everything matches, including the Portuguese connection.
I had a look at one of the aticles on him quoted in Wikipedia bibliography
http://risorgimento.comune.verbania.it/ ... Itemid=103
This gives his italian wife's name as Anna Zannini, but no date or place of marriage. They had two children: Ferdinando and Daniele.
In this book there is the genealogy of the Tinelli family
http://www.francoangeli.it/Ricerca/Sche ... ro=1572.13
Ciao
Paola
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
joboy

Julia Eliza Lush

Post by joboy »

Thank you Laura,Paola and Livio for your most valued input.
Please forgive me as I am an English born and now a naturalised Australian citizen 87 years old and I have only recently found my Italian connections.
I understand no other language but English :( :( and I am eager to find as much as I can about the new Italian addititions to my family tree.
Some of the links which you kindly provided do not have a link to English translation which is a pity ...however 'questa è la vita' (I found that by 'googling'). :D :D

Taken from my first post;
Julia Eliza Lush
36 years old
b. Aporto Portugal
Father: Louis Walter Tinelli
Mother: Caroline Lawson
2nd marriage

can you suggest how I might go about finding her first marriage?
Joe
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Thank you Joe,

considering that Julia was single on 1865 census (living with her father's family) and that she was already married to Thomas Lush on 1870, most likely she married Thomas Lush in this time frame.
pink67
Master
Master

Post by pink67 »

Several references on Google Books researching with the key Lewis Tinelli

Laura
paola52
Elite
Elite

Post by paola52 »

joboy wrote:Some of the links which you kindly provided do not have a link to English translation which is a pity ...however 'questa è la vita' (I found that by 'googling').
Short summary of the info in the italian sites
Luigi Tinelli was born in Laveno April 28, 1799 son of a wealthy family. In March of 1821 he traveled to Turin to join the revolutionary leader Santorre of Santarosa. After the failure of the revolution he was forced to flee to Spain, then moved to England and finally to Switzerland. In 1824 as a result of an amnesty he returned in Lombardy and settled in Milan where he joined La Giovine Italia,a political movement founded in 1831 whose goal was to create a united Italian republic. Meanwhile he started a thriving business in the field of silk and porcelain. August 30, 1833 he was arrested. After two years in prison he was sentenced to capital punishment commuted to perpetual exile. In 1836 embarked he arrived in New York. The US government awarded him US citizenship and appointed him consul general in Portugal. In 1840 he moved to Porto and here also worked to develop the production of silk After leaving the service he returned to the US Army. He married Anna Zannini, daughter of a Napoleonic general who died at the passage of the Berezina. She was also a member of Giovine Italia. The couple had two sons, Ferdinando (1828-1904) and Daniele (1831-1916), who became a renowned photographer. In the US he had another family.
There is a lot of literature on the subject. If you want more info send me a PM
Ciao
Paola :D
Researching Provinces of Varese, Como and Milan and the valleys around Turin
joboy

Post by joboy »

Paola ....... thank you so very much for your reply ....... after I enter all the detail you have given me in my family tree I shall study it and I am sure that I shall be seeking more ......... it all keeps this old mind clicking over.
Joe
joboy

Post by joboy »

pink67 wrote:Thank you Joe,

considering that Julia was single on 1865 census (living with her father's family) and that she was already married to Thomas Lush on 1870, most likely she married Thomas Lush in this time frame.
Laura ...... the Google Books tip is great and I have put a tentative entry for the Thomas Lush marriage at 1868.
Thank you,
Joe