Matteo Saccone

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
mezzoitaliano

Matteo Saccone

Post by mezzoitaliano »

This is a quest I have been following for many years. My grandfather Matteo Saccone immigrated from Rocca D'Evandro in 1902. Pop was born in 1876. When he came to the US he was accompanied by his brother Giovanni. We have never been able to find out anything about his parents, siblings or anything else. A 5-year tour with the US military in Italy gave me a chance for some hands-on searching. I went to Caserta and looked through tons of very large ledgers dating back to about 1850 with no luck at all. The prefect at the government office told me that it was not unusual in that time period that births were not recorded. Now I do not know if he was born in the commune of Rocca D'Evandro or whether it was his place of residence listed on Ellis Island records. Many, many years ago my mom told me that he told her his real name was Sacco. There is no one alive now who can verify anything, one way or another. Does any of this sound familiar to anyone or can anyone give me some hints of what the next step is?
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: Matteo Saccone

Post by Biff83 »

Welcome Mezzoitaliano!

Is this Matteo's Wilmington DE marriage record? Shows father as Joseph (Giuseppe) and mother as Philomana (Filomena) no maiden name. Spouse Immaculata Jacobelli?; right hand image.
Click to enlarge
SacconeMarriage.jpg
Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Matteo's 1902 manifest, line 24, last name Saccone
Last residence Rocco d'Evandro, destination Wilmington DE to join brother Giovannantonio--I suspect this is his brother Giovanni.

Click to enlarge
SacconeManifest.jpg
Biff
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

When you were in Italy, did you go to the town of Rocco d'Evandro to check records or did you check at the Caserta province office?
I suspect that you were at the Caserta province office since I find it near impossible that Matteo's birth was not recorded in the civil records. An 1866 Italian law required that all births, deaths, and marriages be recorded in each town with copies sent to the province. The provincial copies after I believe 75 years were then sent to the state archives.

Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

Brother Giovanni Saccone's 1901 manifest. Line 27
SacconeManifest2.jpg
Biff
Biff83
Master
Master

Post by Biff83 »

I would write to the town to request his birth record. Include a non-stamped self-addressed envelope. I'd suggest you mail your request in a 9x12 envelope with a 6x9 non-stamped self-addressed envelope; this will keep the birth record from having too many folds.

Matteo WWi Draft Reg card gives his birth as 3 May 1876.

Your name
Address
City State Zip
Email address (optional)

Date, I e, 25 gennaio 2015

Ufficio dello Stato Civile
Comune di Rocca d'Evandro
Viale della Libertà, 3
81040 ROCCA D'EVANDRO CE
ITALIA

Egregi Signori,

Mi chiamo (Your Name), ed abito negli Stati Uniti all'indirizzo sopradedtto. Cerco informazioni su mio nonno, Matteo Saccone, nata nel comune di Rocca d'Evandra il 3 Maggio 1876. Cerco questi dati per conoscere meglio la mia famiglia, e per trovare i miei parenti rimasti in Italia.
Vi sarei molto grato se poteste spedirmi una copia integrale dell'atto di nascita di Matteo Saccone.

Vi ringrazio in anticipo per la vostra gentilezza e premura, e vi prego di addebitarmi tutte le spese postali e dei certificate.

Distinti Saluti,
(Your Name)

The birth record will be in Italian but if you scan and post on the forum, someone will help you extract/translate the information.

Would appreciate if others would check my above letter; it's been a while. Thanks.

Biff
RachelSchmid

Post by RachelSchmid »

Hello there. I believe I am somehow a relative of yours. In fact, I wonder if the name Shirley Kulakowski rings a bell? I believe you wrote to her once inquiring about our family's history. She was my grandmother. Anyway, Giovanni Saccone is my 2x great grandfather. I just recently started to fully research my family's Italian roots, and I am having a pretty tough time. So far, all I know is that Giovanni was born to Giuseppe and Filomena Saccone in Valla di Maddaloni, Caserta, Campania, Italy. I assume that is Matteo's place of birth, as well. At some point, they moved to the Rocca d'Evandro location. Giovanni eventually left his home country & came to America. He boarded the "California" at the Porto di Napoli and arrived at the Port of New York on May 22, 1901 (he was 29 years old). Matteo soon followed. He boarded the ship called "Hesperia," and arrived Sept. 9, 1902 (he was 26 years old). What I would really like to find is more information on their life and family in Italy, but, unfortunately, I seem to have hit a wall. Hopefully, I will have a breakthrough discover sometime soon! Perhaps, if you find anything else, you could message me, and I would gladly do the same if I find anything.

Thank you!
Rachel Schmid
rschmid595@gmail.com