Taravella/Rotolo/Volore/Mulay

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
kcook58

Taravella/Rotolo/Volore/Mulay

Post by kcook58 »

I am trying to trace my grandparent's parents and keep hitting a brick wall. I'll start with my grandfather... his name was Charles Vincent Taravella but I was told his name was really Vincent Charles. Ok now this is strange... my sister just recently found my grandparents marriage certificate and on it my grandfather's name is listed as Vincenzo Taravella. I do not have a birth certificate to confirm what his birth name was. My grandfather was born in 1906 in New Orleans, La.

My grandfather's father was Antonio Taravella born 8/15/1866 in Alia Palermo. He died 10/26/1954 in Colorado. I don't know who Antonio's parents were but think they might have been Cosimo Damiano Taravella and Calogera Cosima Caltagirone both born in Alia Palermo. I am trying to find confirmation of this.

My grandfather's mother was Rotolo....Calogera Rotolo? She was born 10/15/1873 in Alia Palermo and died 6/23/1923 in Pueblo Co. Her mother Crocifissa Granato? Need this confirmed!

I believe Antonio immigrated around 1890/1892 and in 1910 lived in Jefferson La. I also believe he submitted papers for naturalization around 1920 in Colorado

My grandfathers siblings were:
Samuel/Salvatore – spouse Crocifisfa
Mary - spouse unknown
Dominick – spouse Frances De Salvo
Crocifisfa (Cruci) – spouse Samuel Todaro
Josephine (Peps) – spouse Tony Rotolo
Rosalia (Rosie) – spouse Joseph Clementi
John – spouse Susie Carabella
Jack – spouse Jean Crystal

My grandmother's family is even harder to trace! My grandmother was Edith Mae Volore born 1909 in Colorado. She changed her name to Edith because she didn't like her birth name. On my grandmother's marriage certificate it lists her name as Mattea Volore... I don't have a birth certificate to confirm this. My grandmother's mother was Roselie Mulay born 1869 Italy....was told possibly Agriento. She died in 1954 Colorado. I have no further information on Roselie before Colorado.

My grandmother's father was Stefano (Steve) Volore born 3/18/1865 Italy....possibly Agriento. He died 1/9/1940 in Colorado. I have no further information on Stefano before Colorado.

My grandmother's siblings were:
Margaret – spouse Martlaro?
Joseph – spouse Gladys Gettler
Frances – spouse Charles Taravella
Tony – spouse Mamie Alice Oliver
Steve?

Both my grandmother Edith and her sister Frances married a Charles Taravella not related but could be distant cousins.

Any help I can get would be appreciated!
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Taravella/Rotolo/Volore/Mulay

Post by adelfio »

If your sure about the year born and his wife
Birth record of Antonino Taravella
Index#163
1866 Aug 17th in the town of Alia birth of Antonino Taravella son of Salvatore Taravella age 40 (son of deceased Antonino) and Maria Lucia Salvatrice Esposito
Sidenote says married Calogera Rotolo May 17 1890 in Alia

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247570402

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Marriage of Antonino Taravella and Calogera Rotolo
Index#30
1890 May 17th in the town of Alia appeared Antonino Taravella age 23 farmer born in Alia son of Salvatore Taravella age 40 and Maria Lucia Salvatrice Esposito married Calogera Rotolo age 19 born in Alia daughter of deceased Cosimo Damiano Rotolo and Crocifissa Panepinto

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247240701

Marty
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

Birth of Salvatore Taravella (child of Antonino Taravella and Calogera Rotolo )
Index#103
1891 April 3rd in the town of Alia in a house on via Vacanti #7 birth of Salvatore Taravella son of Antonino Taravella age 24 farmer and Calogera Rotolo age 20

PG LINK TO RECORD
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,247709101

Marty

Marty
kcook58

Post by kcook58 »

Thank you so much!!! I can't read those things so I appreciate all of the help! Please let me know if anything can be found on my grandmothers side Volore/Mulay I can't seem to find any trace of them!
kcook58

Post by kcook58 »

Why am I not getting any email replies letting me know that I had a response to my post? Subscribe topic is checked!

***** Never mind I found it!****
kcook58

Post by kcook58 »

Can anyone trace back the Taravella name? My uncle told me that when he was very young he traveled to Sicily and Spain to try and trace his family history and was told that Taravella may have originated in a tiny town called Taravilla in Guadalajara Spain. It would be interesting to see if that's where they first originated from!
samueljorlando
Rookie
Rookie

Post by samueljorlando »

you might also want to check out this thread.... my post is on page 7. http://italiangenealogy.com/forum/itali ... 4?start=90
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

kcook58 wrote:Thank you so much!!! I can't read those things so I appreciate all of the help! Please let me know if anything can be found on my grandmothers side Volore/Mulay I can't seem to find any trace of them!
I think Rosalia surname is Mule'

Marty

Marty
kcook58

Post by kcook58 »

Yes I think it is too but on all of the census records and the death index has her listed as Mulay. I have searched just about every spelling of that name is still come up with nothing. From what I understand there were two Mulay familys living in Pueblo Colorado. I can only find info on that one family ....John..Carl..Jennie Mulay but nothing for my grandmother's side.
adelfio
Master
Master

Post by adelfio »

In this 1910 census there are 2 Mule' families living next to Steve Volore in Pueblo Colorado
check the page before
PG LINK
http://interactive.ancestry.com/7884/31 ... 7327-00793

Marty

Marty
kcook58

Post by kcook58 »

That is actually a Steve Valoro, not related and I'm really not sure about the Mule's that are listed there. I need to find something on Roselie Mulay/Mule before I can go any further. This is Roselie & Stefano on Find a Grave http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cg ... =115410145
Sarah.M.

Post by Sarah.M. »

Hello. I don't believe I can help you with further tracing of the Mulay/Volore family, but when I came across this post, I couldn't believe what I was reading.

I am the great-grandchild of Crocifissa Todaro (born Taravella), your Grandfather Charlie's sister.

Crocifissa and Sam Todaro's daughter, Carolyn, is my 95-year-old grandmother who is currently living in Pueblo. I stay with her every Monday/Wednesday afternoon and this past Monday I was asking about our family history. She was able to list out so many names!! Both her and my mom stated they absolutely adored Uncle Charlie. She said he was a barber, married Aunt Maida Volore from Pueblo, and moved to San Jose, CA.

Grandma Carrie (Carolyn) listed out the children of Uncle Charlie: Tony, Carol, and Steve. If this is correct, one of those individuals should be your parent, correct?

If anything, I hope my response brings you a little joy knowing you have some long lost cousins still in Pueblo who are also curious about their family history!

Both the names Volore and Mulay are familiar to my grandmother. I will pick her brain some more today.

Best wishes, and I hope to hear back from you! If you have any more history on the Taravella/Rotolo side, I'd love to hear it.

Sarah.M.