Italians in Argentina

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Italians in Argentina

Post by mtoth1982 »

Hello,
There has always been a rumor in my family that a brother of my great grandfather went to Argentina. Unfortunately, I do not know any first names but my Great grandfather's name was Domenico Infantino and his parents were Nicola Infantino and Maria Giuseppa Mobilia.

Does anyone know how to go about trying to locate family in Argentina? Has anyone dealt with a similar story?

Sincerely,

Matt Toth
Matthew Toth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Italians in Argentina

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Matt!

From where in Italy did your GF Domenico come, birthplace?
An approx. year of birth?
Maybe we can first find the name of his brother.

T.
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtoth1982 »

Tessa,
Domenico came from a town called Spinoso. He was born in ~1875, I found this out through a marriage record that I found from that town. I know he defintely had a brother named Saverio Rocco Carlo Infantino, as I have his birth record. However, the story goes that Saverio and Domenic did not get along and eventually Saverio became estranged from his family and fled back to Italy. The story my mother was always told was that Domenic had another brother in addition to Saverio.

A manifest listing when Domenic (listed by his middle name Antonio) and Saverio came to the USA had another man named VIncenzo Infantino,from the same town. However I don't think this was their brother as he is traveling to an entirely different person who is listed as Vincenzo's brother named NIcola.

Let me know what you think

Thanks for your help!

Matt
Attachments
Saverioborn73.jpg
domenicoangelamarriage.jpg
AngelaManinfest.jpg
Matthew Toth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hi Matt!

Thank you for the additional information. I will take a look at it and see what else I can find.
Will get back to you as soon as I can. :-)

Can you tell me what relation Michele Sorimanti (to whom they were going) is to Domenico and Saverio?

EDIT TO ADD:
Found Michele SOLIMANDO in 1910 and 1920 US Census in Trenton, NJ at 242 Elmer St. :-)
He was a mason also.

T.
mtoth1982
Rookie
Rookie

Post by mtoth1982 »

Tessa,
Thanks for taking a look for me! I am not sure what relation Michele Sorimanti was and neither are any of my relatives. Unfortunately, my relatives were very tight-lipped about their origins. I know there are alot of people with the last name Solimando in the Spinoso records. Maybe this was a relative, I'm just not sure.

Matt
Matthew Toth
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

mtoth1982 wrote:Tessa,
Thanks for taking a look for me! I am not sure what relation Michele Sorimanti was and neither are any of my relatives. Unfortunately, my relatives were very tight-lipped about their origins. I know there are alot of people with the last name Solimando in the Spinoso records. Maybe this was a relative, I'm just not sure.

Matt

Yes, I noticed that as I go through the birth records! :-D

I have located a birth record for another son of Nicola Infantino and Maria Giuseppa Mobilia.
GIUSEPPE Infantino was born to them on 14 April 1877, when Nicola was age 40.
Notation in margin indicates that Giuseppe Infantino married with Antonia Vincenza Marchesoni on 6 April 1899.

POSSIBLY the other brother you mentioned?

link at familysearch.org - bottom left #35
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246456501

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Bride's surname is Marchesani, with an "a", in the publication of the marriage banns. HOWEVER, she and her father signed the record with an "o" at the end of their surname. :-)

In the publication of the banns of marriage record (link below) Antonia Vincenza is age 15 complete. Giuseppe is age 21 and a shoemaker.
Her parents are Michele Marchesani, age 40, and Maddalena Bruno.

Banns posted on 12 and 19 of May. So I believe that the clerk was in error about the date of their marriage (in the notation to Giuseppe's birth record)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246377501

HERE ALSO is the publication of the banns of marriage for brother Saverio Rocco Carlo Infantino in 1896, to Filomena Maria Maggi.
Record #3
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,246377501

QUESTION:
In the story of your family, do they think the brother that immigrated to Argentina went there directly from Italy?

T.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Matt,

Here is a resource link about Argentina Immigration
https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... mmigration

T.
Valeria

Post by Valeria »

If he was in Argentina in 1895 he may show up in the census. There are several Infantino:

https://familysearch.org/search/collect ... id=1410078

Val