Chiunchi (Chiunski or Chiunschi) Italy

Do you need information about a certain town or village in Italy, or do you need help to find it on a map?
This forum will give you a helping hand.
prhenry58

Chiunchi (Chiunski or Chiunschi) Italy

Post by prhenry58 »

I am researching a friend's ancestor. On the person's naturalization application from 1939, it indicates he was born in Chiunchi (Chiunski or CHIUNSCHI) Italy in 1879. I believe this is now Cunski, Croatia.

My question is, would this person be considered Italian?

Any help with this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Karsungmi

Re: Chiunchi (Chiunski or Chiunschi) Italy

Post by Karsungmi »

What about content.
Anizio
Elite
Elite

Post by Anizio »

I don't think it is Cunski Croatia. In 1879 that was Austria although in 1939 it was part of Italy. But in Italian it is known as Chiusi, or more accurately Chiusi Lussignano, not any of the names you mentioned. And the Austrians never changed the name, so in German it was still called Ćunski. Although it could be given how badly American immigration officials butchered peoples and places in their records.

But lets assume it is. What is the person's name. That island held both Croatian and Italian people in the time period you are talking about, so if you are asking if the person is ethnically Italian...that would require genealogical research. If you are asking for citizenship, then he was Austrian when he was born and Italian when he emigrated but that has nothing to do with ethnicity and could be ethnic Croation or a mix of Croat and Italian.
TIP: When asking for records from Italy, do NOT ask for an "estratto." ALWAYS ask for a "copia integrale." A photocopy of the original Act will contain more information
monke
Rookie
Rookie

Post by monke »

It very depends on person's surname if he was Italian or Croatian. I'll need more information to help you
I'm researching family history and family tree in Croatia, Dalmatia, Istria - Contact me on personal message or

https://croatianancestry.wordpress.com/
prhenry58

Post by prhenry58 »

Name on Petition for Naturalization: Marino Anthony Barnovich

On petition it indicates he was born in Chiunchi (sp), Italy and he emigrated from Trieste, Italy.

On Certificate of Naturalization it states his former nationality is Italian.