Can someone translate a couple of lines in this article? (Aggius Vella)

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Can someone translate a couple of lines in this article? (Aggius Vella)

Post by typeogirl »

Just recently some folks here were able to translate some marriage documents for me, and I have a new last name to reseach..... Aggius Vella.

I found this article online about a man who must have a boutique luxury high-end of some kind in Ragusa, and his last name is Aggius Vella. There is a phrase in this article I found to be very confusing. The phrase I'm having a hard time with this:

“E con l’apertura del punto vendita di Vittoria, nella Primavera /Estate 2008, diventeranno sei” spiega Antonio Aggius Vella, che deve il suo cognome ad avi gioiellieri di origini maltesi e prima ancora inglesi"

Is the author saying the name Arpel has Maltese origins, or the name of Aggius Vella has Maltese origins? I would really appreciate your clarification.

http://www.ragusanews.com/articolo/2478 ... uomo-arpel

For me the surname Aggius Vella has a feel very Roman, Greek or Latin feel to it. An old name of some kind. Does anyone have any information on this last name?
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Can someone translate a couple of lines in this article? (Aggius Vella)

Post by Tessa78 »

You may be interested to read this about the surname "AGIUS" (with one "g") and it's origins and history...

http://www.agius.com/agius/index.htm

The Italian surname distribution site shows the name Agius existing today, but not the surname Aggius (even though you see the name in the article :? )
http://www.gens.info/italia/it/turismo- ... SfVf5MYPm4

T.
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

I did read this. Thank you. It is very interesting. did you see the one line "As far as is known the Italian surname agus, sardinian place name aggius and maltese surname agius are unrelated." so i guess he is saying Aggius Vella is not related to Agius.

What is "vella". Like "of"?

What did you think the article was saying?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

typeogirl wrote:Just recently some folks here were able to translate some marriage documents for me, and I have a new last name to reseach..... Aggius Vella.

I found this article online about a man who must have a boutique luxury high-end of some kind in Ragusa, and his last name is Aggius Vella. There is a phrase in this article I found to be very confusing. The phrase I'm having a hard time with this:

“E con l’apertura del punto vendita di Vittoria, nella Primavera /Estate 2008, diventeranno sei” spiega Antonio Aggius Vella, che deve il suo cognome ad avi gioiellieri di origini maltesi e prima ancora inglesi"

Is the author saying the name Arpel has Maltese origins, or the name of Aggius Vella has Maltese origins? I would really appreciate your clarification.

http://www.ragusanews.com/articolo/2478 ... uomo-arpel

For me the surname Aggius Vella has a feel very Roman, Greek or Latin feel to it. An old name of some kind. Does anyone have any information on this last name?
The author is saying that the Aggius Vella has Maltese origins.
(he previously explained that "Arpel" is the contraction of two words: “arte” and ”pelle”
typeogirl
Rookie
Rookie

Post by typeogirl »

Thank you Livio!!! I really appreciate it. I guess I somehow have to find out how and where to research Maltese names and genealogy.