Puma Etymology Meaning and translation Request

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
rp76226
Master
Master

Puma Etymology Meaning and translation Request

Post by rp76226 »

I was sent this without explanation. Please review the section for the name Puma and tell me what it says and/or means:

http://postimg.org/image/klr8ya72r/
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Puma Etymology Meaning and translation Request

Post by carubia »

So your name appears to derive from the Latin word for apple ("pomum").
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The Puma surname is found mainly in the provinces of Palermo, Trapani, Agrigento, Catania, Siracusa and Ragusa (all in Sicily) and also in Catanzaro, Crotone (in Calabria) and Napoli. It derives from the Sicilian "puma" and the Latin "pomum" which both mean "apple"
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Yeah, that's about as far as I can read before it degenerates into a bunch of abbreviations for sources. After listing the provinces, it says, "from Sicilian puma 'apple', or plural of puma 'id.', from Latin pomum." I don't know what they mean by 'id.' After the semicolon it reads, "cf. Raimoundou Depouma [in Greek] Cusa 486...." Someone named Raimondo Di Puma in Sicily, when Greek was still the dominant language there?
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"id." is the abbreviation of the Latin "idem" = "the same"
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

I thought it might be, but it seemed kind of silly to abbreviate "idem" to "id." (including the period). That's only a 1-character savings. Also, the "id." is in quotes, which would imply that pumu means idem. If they just wanted to say that the meaning was the same, the quotes should've been omitted.

BTW, I mistyped in my previous post. I meant to write "plural of pumu" not "plural of puma."
rp76226
Master
Master

Post by rp76226 »

Near the bottom of the page, I saw DI and Li and La in front of Puma, which I think means those were alternate ways of spelling Puma. What confuses me is they also put "Donna" in front of Puma. That seems too long.