A thought at Christmas time

As a nation state, Italy has emerged only in 1871. Until then the country was politically divided into a large number of independant cities, provinces and islands. The currently available evidences point out to a dominant Etruscan, Greek and Roman cultural influence on today's Italians.
DeliBoy
Rookie
Rookie

A thought at Christmas time

Post by DeliBoy »

I was looking through my late grandmothers photo collection a while back, and in amongst the postcards and pictures of us my mother had sent back home I found this prayer card.

The large text translates as "Souvenir of the celebration of the national day of emigration."

The smaller text translates as "The family of Nazareth, Jesus Mary and Joseph, emigrants in Egypt, are the model, the example and the support of all the emigrants"

We all know the Christmas story, but I had never paid much attention to this particular aspect of it before. Perhaps you other emigrants out there might like to share in this thought at this time of year.

If anyone is interested in the prayer printed on the back, that can be found at http://www.ciaobovino.com/images/ForumI ... erBack.jpg
mfjp
Master
Master

Re: A thought at Christmas time

Post by mfjp »

Hi DeliBoy,

Thank you for your post.

Here are the words in text format.

Quite the message and blessing as well...
------------------------------------
PREGHIERA PER GLI EMIGRATI

O Gesù, che assieme alla vostra SS.ma Madre Maria conosceste le vie dell'esilio, Vi supplichiamo per tanti nostri fratelli che, abbandonando la famiglia e la Patria, si sono recati in lontane regioni in cerca di un onesto guadagno.
Rammentate, caro Gesù, che coloro che vivono col lavoro faticoso delle loro mani sono particolarmente vostri, poiiché anche Voi voleste nascere povero e trascorrere la vita come operaio.
I nostri fratelli emigrati hanno bisogno di luce per riconoscere le vane promesse onde sono allettati, hanno bisogno dell'opera di zelanti missionari che amorevolmente li richiamino all'osservanza dei loro doveri religiosi, hanno bisogno di soprannaturali speranze che li nobilitino nelle fatiche e li fortifichino nei pericoli.
O dolcissimo Gesù, fecondate i sudori dei nostri emigrati, fate prosper- arele loro industrie, ma soprattutto fate che si mantengano sempre buoni cristiani, e non perdano mai il timore di Dio, che è principio di ogni bene spirituale e temporale.
E voi, o Vergine SS.ma, Madre degli emigranti, guardate pietosa al loro stato, difendeteli ed aiutateli, perché godendo i frutti della giustizia cristiana in questo mondo, meritino la perfetta felicità nei secoli eterni. Così sia.
---------------------------------------------

Wishing you well,
Seasons Greetings!
Maria :P
Nunsiata
Rookie
Rookie

Post by Nunsiata »

That is beautiful! And something to celebrate, especially at Christmas time. Thank you for sharing it.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

While at a Funeral Home this afternoon, an elderly Italian priest came in to say the "Rosario". At one point he paused ... and started talking about the sacrifices immigrants made by leaving Italy. He then included a prayer for all the immigrants.... something I had never heard before -ever. It was quite nice to hear.

Happy New Year
Maria