Lascari, Paolo b. 1891

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
darmarnix

Lascari, Paolo b. 1891

Post by darmarnix »

Greetings everyone. I've been doing some detective work concerning my maternal heritage. My mother's parents emigrated from Sicily in the early nineteenth century. My mother said her father, Paolo Lascari, emigrated from a village "outside of Palermo." He came to Detroit, got lonely and wrote home for a bride. They sent Frances Gagliardi, my grandmother born in 1902 (his cousin.) I was interested in establishing which village this ancestor may have been from. Apparently a Grigio Lacari is supposed to have been one of the founders of Piana degli Albanesi which is 24 kilometers south of Palermo. That "village" is closer than Lascari ( a very tiny hamlet) which is on the coast. I don't seem to find Lascari anywhere else; it doesn't light up any Italian eyes when I mention it to them. Apparently it is Albanian/Sicilian? I wanted to find out if I would still be able to qualify for Italian citizenship with this heritage--Paolo's that is.
Grazzii,
Darlene :lol:
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Lascari, Paolo b. 1891

Post by brujaojos »

darmarnix wrote:. My mother said her father, Paolo Lascari, emigrated from a village "outside of Palermo." He came to Detroit, got lonely and wrote home for a bride. They sent Frances Gagliardi, my grandmother born in 1902 (his cousin.) Grazzii,
Hi Darlene,

Here is a manifest for a Paolo coming into the USA who was born about 1890. The manifest stated he left his mother Giovanna in Italy and he was going to go see his brother, Salvatore. It states he was from Marsala, Sicily,

Page 1

Page 2

By any chance do you have Paolo's Death Certificate? This would verify who his parents are.

Here is the information from the 1930 Census. Per this census, Paolo came in 1909 and Francesca came in 1923. Paolo (Paul) was already naturalized by 1930.

Name: Paul Lascari
Estimated birth year: abt 1891
Birthplace: Italy
Relation to head-of-house: Head
Spouse's Name: Frances Lascari
Race: White
Home in 1930: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan
Image source: Year: 1930; Census Place: Detroit, Wayne, Michigan; Roll: 1047; Page: 20B; Enumeration District: 378; Image: 42.0.

Here is his WWI Draft Card Information. This states he was from Marsala, Italy.

Name: Paolo Lascari
City: Detroit
County: Wayne
State: Michigan
Birthplace: Italy
Birth Date: 13 Dec 1889
Race: White
Roll: 2024026
DraftBoard: 6

The Family History Center has microfilm that you can order and rent for Marsala. Here is the link for the film numbers.

I hope this helps some
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Hi,

I forgot to state that on the 1930 census, it stated, they were married about 1924. You can send for their marriage application which will have more information.

Here is the death information on Frances. You can send for her death certificate.

Name: Frances LASCARI
Birth Date: 28 December 1901
Death Date: 10 August 1993
Residence: St Clair Shores, Macomb, Michigan
Place of Death: Mount Clemens, Macomb, Michigan

Hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

darmarnix wrote:Greetings everyone. I've been doing some detective work concerning my maternal heritage. My mother's parents emigrated from Sicily in the early nineteenth century. My mother said her father, Paolo Lascari, emigrated from a village "outside of Palermo." He came to Detroit, got lonely and wrote home for a bride. They sent Frances Gagliardi, my grandmother born in 1902 (his cousin.) I was interested in establishing which village this ancestor may have been from. Apparently a Grigio Lacari is supposed to have been one of the founders of Piana degli Albanesi which is 24 kilometers south of Palermo. That "village" is closer than Lascari ( a very tiny hamlet) which is on the coast. I don't seem to find Lascari anywhere else; it doesn't light up any Italian eyes when I mention it to them. Apparently it is Albanian/Sicilian? I wanted to find out if I would still be able to qualify for Italian citizenship with this heritage--Paolo's that is.
Grazzii,
Hi, Francesca GAGLIARDO age 22 born in Marsala/Sicily, last residence Palermo/Sicily, she came in USA the Oct 06, 1923 joining Paolo LASCARI fiances 1534 Port St in Detroit, Mich. ; contact in Italy uncle: Giuseppe GAGLIARDO address: Via Boscogrande 36 in Palermo/Sicily....

ship's manifest page 1

and
ship's manifest page 2
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
darmarnix

Post by darmarnix »

:? Ok, I'm confused. I guess, I need to start with Paolo's death certificate in order to find out who his father is, correct? I am wondering about the birth dates for my grandparents, tho. We always celebrated grandma's birthday on December 13th. I know that the death cert. for Frances Lascari is correct, but it is bizzare that the birth dates for my grandparents are transposed. Is that important? I never questioned my grandmother, maybe she was commemorating her husband's birthday, I don't know. How do I look for my grandfather's death certificate? He died before my parents married, ca. 1956 in Detroit.
I guess I'm confused about the various years of birth for my grandfather, day of birth and whether Francesca was a Gagliardi or a Gagliardo. I noticed that Marsala is also interpreted as Marsola. But it is inferred to be Marsala because it is in the "country" of Trapani. Is this typical for this era, locale or level of literacy, social economic strata?
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by ricbru »

suanj wrote:
darmarnix wrote:Greetings everyone. I've been doing some detective work concerning my maternal heritage. My mother's parents emigrated from Sicily in the early nineteenth century. My mother said her father, Paolo Lascari, emigrated from a village "outside of Palermo." He came to Detroit, got lonely and wrote home for a bride. They sent Frances Gagliardi, my grandmother born in 1902 (his cousin.) I was interested in establishing which village this ancestor may have been from. Apparently a Grigio Lacari is supposed to have been one of the founders of Piana degli Albanesi which is 24 kilometers south of Palermo. That "village" is closer than Lascari ( a very tiny hamlet) which is on the coast. I don't seem to find Lascari anywhere else; it doesn't light up any Italian eyes when I mention it to them. Apparently it is Albanian/Sicilian? I wanted to find out if I would still be able to qualify for Italian citizenship with this heritage--Paolo's that is.
Grazzii,
Hi, Francesca GAGLIARDO age 22 born in Marsala/Sicily, last residence Palermo/Sicily, she came in USA the Oct 06, 1923 joining Paolo LASCARI fiances 1534 Port St in Detroit, Mich. ; contact in Italy uncle: Giuseppe GAGLIARDO address: Via Boscogrande 36 in Palermo/Sicily....

[url=http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... =0&RF=1ÃÂ
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

[quote="darmarnix] I need to start with Paolo's death certificate in order to find out who his father is, correct? I How do I look for my grandfather's death certificate? He died before my parents married, ca. 1956 in Detroit.
I guess I'm confused about the various years of birth for my grandfather, day of birth and whether Francesca was a Gagliardi or a Gagliardo....[/quote]

Hi There,

Here are a couple of links on where to write for death certificates for Detroit and Michigan. I do not recommend you ordering them online for they usually charge you double the amount.

http://www.ci.detroit.mi.us/health/vital/vital_r.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/howto/w2w/michigan.htm

Also, if you want to research the records for Marsala, the Family History Center has microfilm for the town for $5.75 a roll. Here is the link for the microfilm numbers

http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... =1&last=50

I hope some of this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
darmarnix

Post by darmarnix »

:roll: How do I contact this Family History Center? Do they have a website or a physical address that I send the $5.75 to? Will I be able to read the film or must it be printed? Once I get the film will this be useful to request the certificates from Marsala for my grand parents and their parents' births? This is all very intriguing!
Darmarnix
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

darmarnix wrote::roll: How do I contact this Family History Center? Do they have a website or a physical address that I send the $5.75 to? Will I be able to read the film or must it be printed? Once I get the film will this be useful to request the certificates from Marsala for my grand parents and their parents' births? This is all very intriguing!
Darmarnix
Hi there,

Here is the link to find the nearest Family History Center.
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library ... et_fhc.asp

You have to go there in person, order and pay for the film. Then within 3 weeks or so, you should get a phone call that your film is in. Then you go to the center to view the film.

The film with have copies of the original birth, marriage, and death acts of your ancestors.

A good book to get is A Genealogist's Guide to Discovering your Italian Ancestors by Lynn Nelson.

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum
darmarnix

Post by darmarnix »

:D Hi Trish, thanks for looking up stuff for me. I got sidelined by trying to learn to speak Italian so that I could compose a letter or speak to officials in Marsala about what to ask for regarding my ancestry. In the meantime, I have met some interesting people in town and online. Also, I was "reunited" with mi zio Bartolomeo Lascari, mi ha detto che la data della morte il mio nonno ed io scopresse di che il ceppo dell'esola de Ellis era per qualcun'altro! E' giusto? Chiedo venia per il mio cattivo italiano... I should just use english, anyway, I try speaking with people in italy to practice... I found out that my grandfather's father and mother were John B. Lascari and Rosaria Zelfo according to the death certificate, but I don't know if they are from Marsala. My uncle said my grandfather was raised in an orphanage in Palermo, will this complicate things? His date of birth was 1-23-1889, ss# 376-03-7361. Aiuto per favore? :)
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

darmarnix wrote::D Hi Trish, thanks for looking up stuff for me. I got sidelined by trying to learn to speak Italian so that I could compose a letter or speak to officials in Marsala about what to ask for regarding my ancestry. In the meantime, I have met some interesting people in town and online. Also, I was "reunited" with mi zio Bartolomeo Lascari, mi ha detto che la data della morte il mio nonno ed io scopresse di che il ceppo dell'esola de Ellis era per qualcun'altro! E' giusto? Chiedo venia per il mio cattivo italiano... I should just use english, anyway, I try speaking with people in italy to practice... I found out that my grandfather's father and mother were John B. Lascari and Rosaria Zelfo according to the death certificate, but I don't know if they are from Marsala. My uncle said my grandfather was raised in an orphanage in Palermo, will this complicate things? His date of birth was 1-23-1889, ss# 376-03-7361. Aiuto per favore? :)
Hi Again,

If I were you, I would order the microfilm which is listed in a previous post for the year of birth for Paolo. You now know his parents' names, so you should be able to find his birth act.

Just because he was raised in the orphange doesn't mean he wouldn't have a birth act in Marsala.

Also, per the manifest information, you know he has a brother, Salvatore.

And now per this manifest below, he also has another brother, named Gioacchino (b. 1892) , who actually states his left his mother, Rosaria Zeffa in Italy, he was born in Marsala, and he was going to see his brother, Salvatore in NY.

Since this manifest lists the mother's name (Rosaria Zeffa), this means she died after September 1909.

Page 1

Page 2

I hope this helps,
Trish
Trish
Genealogy-Forum