Location - Castiglione della Pescaia?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
oncemore
Rookie
Rookie

Location - Castiglione della Pescaia?

Post by oncemore »

Hello All:

Any thoughts as to what what the birth town of Francesco Di Giandomenico is listed as in this pubblicazioni? http://www.antenati.san.beniculturali.i ... d=16588243

I'm seeing Castiglione della Pescaia, Provincia di Chieti... Except isn't Castiglione della Pescaia on the west coast in Grosseto?

I could also see Castiglione della Pescara, provincia di Chieti.. Which I can't find as an actual city.. But Pescara is close to Chieti...

Any help would be appreciated! So far this family-line has all been in Popoli - but this looks to be a new location...
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Location - Castiglione della Pescaia?

Post by Tessa78 »

Perhaps comune of Castiglione a Casauria, Pescara, Abruzzo?

T.
oncemore
Rookie
Rookie

Post by oncemore »

Hm. Not sure. I'm going to post this in "Locations" instead. MODs: Feel free to delete!
PippoM
Master
Master

Post by PippoM »

I think it is definitely Castiglione della Pescara, ancient name of Castiglione a Casauria.
This is from an ancient geography book:

https://books.google.it/books?id=s2o5AA ... 22&f=false

that states that the abbey of San Clemente di Casauria was in its territory.
Pescara is the name of a river flowing near the town.
Giuseppe "Pippo" Moccaldi

Certificate requests and genealogical researches in Italy.
Translation of your (old) documents and letters.
Legal assistance in Italy for your Italian citizenship.
DCPandaFan
Rookie
Rookie

Post by DCPandaFan »

PippoM is correct. The town's name Castiglione alla Pescara was changed to Castiglione a Casauria in 1863 to prevent confusion with Castiglione della Pescaia and other towns as well as to recognize the historical importance of the San Clemente a Casauria abbey. (The names of many Italian towns were changed just after unification because the new, much-larger nation found itself with many similarly-named towns. And the names of the renamed towns often included pertinent historical references.) The linked record is from the 1819 processetti records of the town of Popoli, which is just two towns away from Castiglione alla Pescara, a town then and now home to many DiGiandomenicos.
When will Italy get Giant Pandas?