Philly

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Philly

Post by Donald66 »

Question:

When I applied for Citizenship in NYC: my birth certificate, my marriage license and my minor child's birth certificate were all recorded in the comune in Italy.

My sister applied in Philly and only HER birth certificate was recorded in the comune, not her marriage license or the birth certificates of her 2 adult children. But the consulate employee told her that they can ALL get passports with only my sister's birth certificate being recorded in Italy?

Is this correct? Do rules vary from consulate to consulate? Also, she never received a letter from the consulate stating that she was an Italian citizen, rather, she got a phone from the consulate employee that she was dealing with and he told her that her Italian citizenship was recognized!

Che??
jennabet
Master
Master

Re: Philly

Post by jennabet »

Donald, the commune in Italy would not record birth information of adult children along with a recognized parent unless the adult children were also recognized in their own right. Regarding your sister's marriage certificate. It's not necessary for the commune to record marriage information for a recognized citizen that does not have minor children. This would only happen if your sister's spouse was also a recognized citizen via jure matrimony or if your sister decided at some point to establish residency in that comune. I was also recognized through Philadelphia. I did not receive a letter; only a phone call informing me I could apply for a passport.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Did your sister's adult children apply with her? If they did, which seems likely since she was told they are all eligible for passports, their birth certificates should be registered.

My adult son applied with me, and both his and my birth certificates were registered. We requested copies from our comune and received them.

As jennabet noted, the children's birth certificates would not be recorded if they did not apply (but, in that case, they would not be eligible for passports).
Donald66
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Donald66 »

When my sister applied, she had an 18 year old and a 17 year old. She recalls providing the Consulate with both birth certificates during the 1st appointment.
Now both kids are over 18.

I spoke with the translator that handled all of my documents for NYC & she told me that each Consulate operates differently. She wasn't surprised that Philly simply called while NYC issued recognition letters.

She believes that since my nieces are over 18, the Consulate decided to just record my sister's birth certificate. Her marriage license and the kid's birth certificates were then kept in Philly. Jennabet was on the mark. :D

Hopefully everything works out next week, will provide any update.

If anybody else has experience with the Philly Consulate, please feel free to comment in this thread.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

Interesting.

Were I in your sister's position, however, I would request that their birth certificates be sent to the comune for registration. I doubt they will deny this request.

Although I'm certain the consulate will diligently maintain the birth records, one never knows what might happen if consulates consolidate. If your nephews choose not to get a passport at this time, they will have no written confirmation of their citizenship.

The registration record provides this confirmation. Even with my passport in hand, I was not comfortable until I had my registration documentation from the comune.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

My mistake--"nieces". :)

Note that jennabet stated that "the commune in Italy would not record birth information of adult children along with a recognized parent unless the adult children were also recognized in their own right." You need to determine if they were indeed recognized in their own right.

At the very least, the 18-year old at the time of application should have applied on her own behalf. Children who have reached the age of majority need to do this to obtain citizenship.

Were this not the case, my adult daughter would have had her citizenship recognized when mine was. She, however, did not apply. and her citizenship was not recognized. Only my adult son applied, and only his birth certificate was registered at the comune

It may well be that your niece's birth certificates were not registered because they were over 18. It would be wise to check with the consulate to definitively determine their status.