* Italian to English translation help!!

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: * Italian to English translation help!!

Post by liviomoreno »

dmdione wrote:Mary, I added your translation to mine and have pasted it here. How does it look? Some of it flows nicely - other parts, not so much. Thank you!

The year one thousand eight hundred forty-three of the twenty-ninth of the month of January at 6pm in front of us, Domenico Villa Mayor and an officer of the civil state of the town of Popoli , District Solmoma Province of Aquila , appeared Giovanni Cancelirio aged fortyfive profession farmer domiciled in Popoli, which presented us a male foundling whom we recognized , and stated that the same was found last night in the foundling wheel of this Comune with a swaddling band and diaper of linen and a double diaper of wool, without any apparent distinguishing marks on the body. We the officials of the civil state, after having examined the child, whom we have verified to be a boy, of about one day of age, have given the order that he be delivered to Don Giastefano Antonucci, the deputy for foundlings.
The same also said to give the newborn
the name and surname of Gabriele Dione.
The presentation , and the aforementioned statement was made the presence of Battista Paolini years trentaquattro profession farmer of the reign, domiciled in Popoli.
And Nicola D' Angiolo aged 42 profession farmer regnicolo , domiciled in Popoli witnesses intervened to This Act , presented by Mr Giovanni Cancelmo.
This Act , which we formed with the purpose [of registering the birth],was written in the two registers , read to the declarant and to the witnesses and undersigned ...

INDICATION

of The day when the Sacrament of Baptism was given .

The year one thousand eight hundred forty-three of the day 30 of the month of January the pastor of Popoli returned the notification that we gave him on the day 29th of January about the birth, indicating that the foundling Gabriele Dione was baptized on the 29th of January

Having received this notification we have signed it and decided to keep it in the "documents' book" number 14. We also informed the pastor of the receipt of the same , and we formed the present act , which was written in both Registers in the corresponding side of the birth record , and
then we signed it .

L ' Ufiziale state civil
D. Villa .
MaryMena
Rookie
Rookie

Post by MaryMena »

Thanks, Livio. I was about to go through the document, but you beat me to it.

MaryMena
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Livio, thank you! Great job!

What does nat da mean after the hand written paragraph?

Dave
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

"born to"

In this section you would see the name of the parents...
magluck

Post by magluck »

hi,
i'm italian and i lve in italy
your translation is quite good except for the name of the district town which is Solmona (now Sulmona) and not Solmoria
are your ancestors italian?
ask more if you like
bye
maria
p.s. sorry for my english
dmdione

Post by dmdione »

Thank you for the clarification.

Yes, this is the birth certificate of my great, great grandfather. He was abandoned at birth.

Thanks,
Dave