Ellis Island: Maria Angela Grande

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Ellis Island: Maria Angela Grande

Post by phishfood »

Hi All,

I sent in a request to Homeland Security to find my great grandmother Maria Angela Grande and her information from when she immigrated over. They said they could find no records. So what should I do next? Oh, I also did a qucik search on the ellis island website and that came up with nothing as well. I have her birth date and where she was born and who her parents are if that helps. Please let me know if anyone can help.

Kim
VaDeb
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Ellis Island: Maria Angela Grande

Post by VaDeb »

Have you found Maria Angela Grande on any census reports. I would suggest finding her (more than one if possible) and seeing what year she said she came to the USA and check her naturalization status. She may have immigrated too early for INS to have any records on her.
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

I have many Maria Grande's in my family... such a common name too..

From what part of Italy??

Season's Greetings!!

Maria
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Need a birthdate... and if you have any further info to provide it would narrow down the search.

Through Ellis Island

First Name: Mariangela
Last Name: Grande
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian South
Last Place of Residence: Montauro
Date of Arrival: Jun 25, 1906
Age at Arrival: 19y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Sicilian Prince
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Manifest Line Number: 0014

Here are a couple through Boston Harbor. Will link viewable image if any of these passengers are yours.

Name: Mariangela Grande
Arrival Date: 1 Dec 1904
Estimated Birth Year: 1864
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Ship Name: Romanic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Lomanno Booario
Last Residence: Italy

or

Name: Mariangela Grande
Arrival Date: 29 Jan 1913
Estimated Birth Year: 1880
Ethnic Background: Italian (South)
Ship Name: Canopic
Port of Arrival: Boston, Massachusetts
Friend's Name: Saverio Grande
Last Residence: Italy
Birthplace: Merltaceso, Italy

mfjp
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Here is the info. I have on Maria Angela Grande so far.

Birth: 06/20/1893 in Fondi Italy (From what family says, no concrete info.)
Death: 10/23/1918 in Schnectedy, NY

Her parents are Vincenzo Grande and Angela Maria Massa
Her husband is Alessandro Inglese

Is there any other info. that would be helpful for you to have? Please let me know and if you can find anything in her. I am having no luck. Thanks :)

Kim
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

Hi again,

Forgot to mention that we think Maria and Alessandro got married in 1914. No proof on that either.

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

Maybe her father?? Did Mariangela have a brother named Andrea?

First Name: Vincenzo (Born 1866?)
Last Name: Grandi
Ethnicity: Italy South
Last Place of Residence: Fondi
Date of Arrival: May 08, 1907
Age at Arrival: 41y Gender: M Marital Status: M
Ship of Travel: Campania
Port of Departure: Napoli
Manifest Line Number: 0019

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 1959170049&

---------------

Mariangela's brother...

First Name: Andrea mentions mother in Italy as Angelamaria Massa.
Ethnicity: Italy, Italian So.
Last Place of Residence: Fondi, Caserta
Date of Arrival: Mar 20, 1909
Age at Arrival: 21y Gender: M Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Hamburg
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0004

http://www.ellisisland.org/search/shipM ... 0196%2ETIF
-------------------------------------------
Ellis Island ship records avail.

Grande,Andrea Fondi, Italy 1912 24
Grande,Andrea Fondi, Caserta 1909 21
Grande,Andrea Fondi 1904 16
Grande,Maria Fondi, Italy 1912 26
Grande,Onerato Fondi, Italy 1912 16
Grandi,Vincenzo Fondi 1907 41
Grani,Giovanni Fondi, Italy 1913 19

mfjp
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

phishfood wrote:Hi again,

Forgot to mention that we think Maria and Alessandro got married in 1914. No proof on that either.

Kim
Kim, the Alessandro wife in the Census 1920 Schenectady, NY, and in 1930 Amsterdam, NY are listed as Elizabeth.. ; this is 1920 census:
http://img434.imageshack.us/img434/3700 ... susny7.jpg
it is this your ancestor?
regards, suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

mfjp,

Oh my gosh you hit a jack pot for me. Vincenzo is her father and she does have a brother by the name of andrea (andrew). So that means that the brother came over different from the father? Her mother is angela maria massa too. The maria grande you did find I don't think is her because we were told she died early. She was born in 1893 and died in 1918. So she died when she 25. Actually my grandma said she died when she was 18 so we really have to get her birth record and death record to find out. So I guess we have no luck on Maria then so far? Could you do me a favor and send me the link for vincenzo's ship manifest? I would really appreciate that. Thanks so much!!! So is my next step for Maria Angela to get her birth and death records?

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

phishfood wrote:mfjp,

Oh my gosh you hit a jack pot for me. Vincenzo is her father and she does have a brother by the name of andrea (andrew). .....

So I guess we have no luck on Maria then so far? Could you do me a favor and send me the link for vincenzo's ship manifest? I would really appreciate that. Thanks so much!!! So is my next step for Maria Angela to get her birth and death records?

Kim
Yes ... birth and death records are a must have... but it's great that you know who her parents were...

I did include a link of Vincenzo's manifest under his passenger information posted earlier on... Did you want a jpeg file? Is that what you meant?

If Maria Angela (I think it's "Mariangela").... died in the USA, then we should continue to look for her boat record... yes, no luck so far, but the search I did was short... so I still remain hopeful.

mfjp :P
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

This is them....

Maria travels with her mother Angela! Angela's mother in Italy is Domenica.

First Name: Maria
Last Name: Massa Grande (born about 1893)
Ethnicity: Italy - Italian So.
Last Place of Residence: Fonoli, Italy
Date of Arrival: Mar 17, 1913
Age at Arrival: 20y Gender: F Marital Status: S
Ship of Travel: Ancona
Port of Departure: Naples
Manifest Line Number: 0011

page 1

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0088%2ETIF

page 2

http://ellisisland.org/search/shipManif ... 0577170191

:P :?:

mfjp
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

6 days later.....

You've since replied to all your other posts... added new posts... and so you may have forgotten about this one...

Kim, I don't mind helping you... others don't mind helping you... but you do have a habit of getting info that you request... and then not answer at all - after you have received it...

As a courtesy, do follow up on the work that others have done for you... especially for free...

mfjp
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

mfjp,

What post do you mean? On this one when suanj asked if this was my ancestor for the census record I did forget to tell her that yes it was. Is that what you are speaking of? I do reply to 99% of my posts and thank people for their help, so I don't think that is true when you said that I have a habit of not getting back to people. That is not a fair comment. If you want a thank you and I forgot to thank you I am truly sorry. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. Please let me know what you are talking about if that is not it because I have no idea what it is. Kelly and I have been PMing so that can't be it. If it something dealing with you then all I did from what I can see is not answer you on if I wanted a jpeg version or not. Was that the problem? Let me know.

Kim
mfjp
Master
Master

Post by mfjp »

What post do you mean? On this one when suanj asked if this was my ancestor for the census record I did forget to tell her that yes it was. Is that what you are speaking of? I do reply to 99% of my posts and thank people for their help, so I don't think that is true when you said that I have a habit of not getting back to people. That is not a fair comment. If you want a thank you and I forgot to thank you I am truly sorry. Thank you for your help. I appreciate it. Please let me know what you are talking about if that is not it because I have no idea what it is. Kelly and I have been PMing so that can't be it. If it something dealing with you then all I did from what I can see is not answer you on if I wanted a jpeg version or not. Was that the problem? Let me know.

Kim
Hi Kim.... this is a quote from one of your other posts.... maybe you just forgot!

Did you see my post for Maria Angela Grande and the new info. I gave? Could you help with that one too if possible?

Kim
I did what you asked.. found what you needed... and never heard back... correct?

I don't mind looking things up for people, I certainly do enjoy it... but do follow up on things... or limit your posts... as researching a few people at once can be overwhelming.

Not the first or second time that you've not followed up.... and my comments are fair.

mfjp

p.s. any comments on Maria Grande's boat record I linked for you...? Maybe you still haven't seen it... that's probably it!
phishfood
Veteran
Veteran

Post by phishfood »

mfjp,

I do see what you are talking about. I thought I did respond back. I see what you sent on Maria Angela and I believe this is her. I have to look in more detial to read what everything says but I think you got it for me. Thanks a million. You are all really good at what you do.

Kim