What does the word FU mean on a record?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
liber

What does the word FU mean on a record?

Post by liber »

I am working with some Sicilian death records and am confused by the word "fu" which I see between two names. The translation I found is "was" or "had been" or "late," but those do not make sense in the context. Here is the statement I cannot fully translate:

"...sono comparsi Saletta Pietro fu Filippo, di anni sessantasei, contadino domiciliato in questa, e Geraci Giuseppa fu Fillipo, di anni..."

I can understand all of it except the FU which appears after the two full names given (Pietro Saletta and Giuseppa Geraci). Is the "Filippo" in each case the name of that person's father?

Thanks for any help with this!

Katherine
Biff83
Master
Master

Re: What does the word FU mean on a record?

Post by Biff83 »

liber wrote:I can understand all of it except the FU which appears after the two full names given (Pietro Saletta and Giuseppa Geraci). Is the "Filippo" in each case the name of that person's father?

Katherine
Yes Filippo in each case is the father. "fu" indicates he is deceased; if it were "di" it would indicate he is still living.

If you haven't bookmarked/printed the following, it should prove quite helpful.
http://familyhistory.byu.edu/Downloads/ ... efault.htm

Biff
"Mintammicce impizzu mpizzu ca pue largu minne fazzu sule!"
liber

Post by liber »

Thanks! That makes sense now, and will help me with other records where I've seen that word.

I really appreciate your taking the time to help.

Katherine
rgioielli

Post by rgioielli »

I have a similar question using the word FU. In a Last Will & Testament the phase reads "mia legittima moglie Rosa Morelli fu Francesco e fu Anna Marie Simone". I first assume that Francesco and Anna Marie were Rosa's son and daughter-in-law, but from what you say above it may mean Rosa's father and mother. Rosa does have a son and daughter-in-law who are still living.
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

You are correct! Rosa's parents were Francesco and Anna Marie who are deceased.

T.