Translation: Promise of Marriage, 6 Nov 1822

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Master
Master

Translation: Promise of Marriage, 6 Nov 1822

Post by JOHN08 »

My translation of this promise of marriage record on the 6th of Nov 1822.

Giuseppe Iafolla, 17, born: Capestrano, laborer, living: Capestrano, son of Giambrardino Iafolla, laborer, living: Capestrano, also son of Domenica Zimei, spinner, living: Capestrano.

Maria Maddalena Ottaviani, 23, living: Capestrano, daughter of Giusto Ottaviani, laborer, living: Capestrano, also daughter of Maria Tagliente, spinner, living: ????.

Giuseppe and Maria were married on the 7th of Nov 1822 at Santa Maria della Pace in Capestrano.

Appreciate any corrections/additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... xzuyqz.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Translation: Promise of Marriage, 6 Nov 1822

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

JOHN08 wrote:My translation of this promise of marriage record on the 6th of Nov 1822.

Giuseppe Iafolla, 17, born: Capestrano, laborer, living: Capestrano, son of Giamberardino (it looks like Giamborardino though?) Iafolla, laborer, living: Capestrano, also son of Domenica Zimei, spinner, living: Capestrano.

Maria Maddalena Ottaviani, 23, spinner, born and living: Capestrano, daughter of Giusto Ottaviani, laborer, living: Capestrano, also daughter of Maria Tagliente, spinner, living: i stesso (the same) so living Capestrano

Giuseppe and Maria were married on the 7th of Nov 1822 at Santa Maria della Pace in Capestrano.

Appreciate any corrections/additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... xzuyqz.jpg
Fantastic! I've seen the name spelt Giamberardino but not Giamborardino before. Giamberardino is also a surname.
Angela :D
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

In the record, I see Giamberardino, also. :-)

T.
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Angela and Tessa,

Thanks for your help.

I am having a lot of trouble with the translation/understanding pages 139 and 140 of this processetti. The promise of marriage record that I first posted is page 141.

I have attached pages: 139 (birth information for Giuseppe Iafolla) and page 140 (birth information for Maria Maddalena Ottaviani).

I am researching the date of birth for Maria and Giuseppe.

First, I three questions about page 139:

1. What is the meaning of the equal signs? When I see equal signs in genealogical records, this means, to me, a marriage between a husband and wife. Of course, this is not true in these records (or am I wrong ?).
2. At the bottom the record, who is the wife of Giuseppe Iafolla ?
3. Finally, what is the date of birth for Giuseppe?

Second, I have two questions about page 140:

1. How is the surname "Lerza" related to Iafolla?
2. Is the date of birth for Maria: 2 April 1822 ?

Another question not related to the above, have you ever found a record of the permission of the parents for the marriage of their son or daughter in a processetti ?

Regards,

John

http://s950.photobucket.com/user/mirabo ... 3.jpg.html

http://s950.photobucket.com/user/mirabo ... c.jpg.html
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello John,

Regarding page 139...
This is an extract of a baptism for Giuseppe Iafolla which was issued on 5 November 1822.
The double lines appear to separate sections of the documents - sort of like paragraphing; and they are also used when a word needs to be completed on the following line. For example, you can see the word "cinque" on the next to last line has been split and = has been placed at the end of the line.

I see the intended spouse as Madalena Maria(abbreviated) [of Giusto] Ottaviani

I see the baptism and birth of Giuseppe on 20 January 1805.

Regarding page 140...
I see the date of baptism/birth for Maria Maddalena Francesca Ottaviani as 2 April 1799, to Iusto/Giusto [son of deceased Caroli/Carlo] Ottaviani, and Maria Tagliente.
I am not seeing "Lerza" - are you speaking of "Lucia [wife of] Francesco Celli? I believe she was the godmother.

T.
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Tessa,

Now, I see the 20th of Jan 1805 for Giuseppe's date of birth. In addition, I learned something new about usage of equal signs (as I call them) in Italian records.

You're right; I misread another surname for Lerza. My excuse: I must have been examining this record too long. Tessa, thanks for taking your time to help me.

John
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

JOHN08 wrote:Tessa,

Now, I see the 20th of Jan 1805 for Giuseppe's date of birth. In addition, I learned something new about usage of equal signs (as I call them) in Italian records.

You're right; I misread another surname for Lerza. My excuse: I must have been examining this record too long. Tessa, thanks for taking your time to help me.

John
Happens to me all the time!!! :-)

Glad to help.

T.