Marino help transcribe parents?

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Marino help transcribe parents?

Post by stokkster1 »

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.3.1/T ... ,353368101

is his name santa margurite ??? sound like a girls name :oops:
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Marino help transcribe parents?

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Debbie,

Mariano was a foundling. It says "figlio di ignoti" which means "son of unknown (parents)" so the parents were unknown. The surname given to Mariano was "Santa Margarita".

I'll see if I can find some info for you about foundlings in Italy. It is both interesting and heartwrenching.

You might be interesting in looking at the following: https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/ ... bandonment

I just want to clarify something - the words "genitori ignoti" are the words you would see for "parents unknown". In this record I am only seeing "figlio di ignoti" "son of unknown". Someone else might be able to explain or expand this better.

Angela
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

Thanks Angela, I don't how he ties in, but after reading so many of these records, My Marino's were sparse to say the least in San Giuseppe, which leads me to believe they may have come from somewhere else other then San Giuseppe this could explain the lack of records I am finding. Can you tell me how old he was, the date he was born?
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi there Debbie

Happy to help.

I don't see anything in these records to suggest that this man's surname was “Marino”. Do you have information that might suggest this?

As mentioned above, the groom in this marriage bann was named “Marciano” (this was his Christian or given name).

Because you have asked, I'll just add the following:
Marciano was 30yo, single, peasant farmer, born in Palermo and reciding in Capaci.
Looking at his Foundling Birth Extract it says he was baptised as a newborn on 16 August 1844.

Just a suggestion Debbie: Just go with what you have got at the moment with your San Giuseppe Jato records, carefully working backwards. Keep good notes and if you are not using a genealogy program, draw yourself up a pedigree chart for each of your strands which you can keep adding to and referring to. Usually in the records, like in this one here, if someone was born elsewhere, it will be noted. If you find someone was born elsewhere then you can start searching that town. Everything, mostly, falls into place, eventually.

I need to go out soon but I'm sure that someone else will help if you have any more questions. Have a lovely day.
Angela :D
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Angela
The first name appearing in the marriage and birth records is Mariano and not Marciano.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

erudita74 wrote:Angela
The first name appearing in the marriage and birth records is Mariano and not Marciano.
Erudita
Whoops! I totally agree Erudita. Thank you for the backup, and taking the time to look over what I'd typed. I'd typed "Mariano" in my first post, as you can see, and have no idea why I typed "Marciano" in my last post here. I was in a hurry to get out the door, and obviously my fingers and brain weren't quite connected :wink: Thank you again, Erudita.
Angela :)
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

AngelaGrace56 wrote:Hi there Debbie

Happy to help.

I don't see anything in these records to suggest that this man's surname was “Marino”. Do you have information that might suggest this?

As mentioned above, the groom in this marriage bann was named “Marciano” (this was his Christian or given name).

Because you have asked, I'll just add the following:
Marciano was 30yo, single, peasant farmer, born in Palermo and reciding in Capaci.
Looking at his Foundling Birth Extract it says he was baptised as a newborn on 16 August 1844.

Just a suggestion Debbie: Just go with what you have got at the moment with your San Giuseppe Jato records, carefully working backwards. Keep good notes and if you are not using a genealogy program, draw yourself up a pedigree chart for each of your strands which you can keep adding to and referring to. Usually in the records, like in this one here, if someone was born elsewhere, it will be noted. If you find someone was born elsewhere then you can start searching that town. Everything, mostly, falls into place, eventually.

I need to go out soon but I'm sure that someone else will help if you have any more questions. Have a lovely day.
Angela :D
Okay, I thought his last name was Mariano, that's why I thought maybe he was a MARINO, These records are amazing but frustrating also. I am making a lot of head way, I do have a great genealogy program so I am entering everything as I find it and then connecting the dots, I already have found several other families that came to the states that I knew nothing about because they stayed in New York and my line went to wisconsin to get into trouble and some of them got kicked out of the US. Yep the rebels or as I call them, wantabe Mafia members who failed poorly at doing it.