San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
maple62
Rookie
Rookie

San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata

Post by maple62 »

Below is a list of family names that I am currently researching. They all come from San Mauro Forte, Matera. Would love to hear from anyone also researching any of these names or indeed the town.

Dalaimo
Distefano
Diluca
Tricarico
Contrastano
Dirocco
Pierro
Tufo
Lacovara
Mega
Rivellese
Manzo
Ronzillo
Tremamondo
beachlady

Re: San Mauro Forte, Matera, Basilicata

Post by beachlady »

Hi, Just found this site and registered. All of my grandparents came from San Mauro Forte to the US in the early 1900s. I have tried to do some family tree research as well and I have many more names to add, including:
Cifichiello
Lamagna
Mulieri
LaBella
Disanza
D'Ambrosio
Fugaro
Armento
Fantasia
DiFato
DiRosario
Spagna
Sanchirico

I also recognize some of the surnames you listed as well. I believe my paternal great grandmother's maiden name was Ronzillo (my father's mother's mother) also my father's mother's sister married a Contrastano. Would love to hear what you have found in your search. Is your family also from San Mauro Forte?
VicCav

Post by VicCav »

I have a Margherite Tricarico who came to the United States in the early 1900's. She was married to Guiseppe Cavaliere and they were both from San Mauro Forte. Margherite had a brother Daniel Tricarico who also came to the U.S. Any connection?
JamesBianco
Staff
Staff

Post by JamesBianco »

My 3rd great grandfather Alessandro Ginosa was born in San Mauro Forte. Here is his ancestry I have been able to find using the civil records:

Ancestors of Alessandro GINOSA

Generation No. 1

1. Alessandro GINOSA, born 22 Feb 1807 in San Mauro Forte, Basilicata, Italia. He was the son of Marc Antonio GINOSA and Lucia TROILO. He married Maria Grazia MAISTO 27 Jul 1854 in MacchiaD'Isernia, Campobasso, Molise, Italia. She was born 02 Jan 1827 in Crispano, Napoli, Italia. She was the daughter of Francesco MAISTO and Vincenza PASCALE.

Generation No. 2

2. Marc Antonio GINOSA, born 1764 in San Mauro Forte, Matera, Italia; died 11 Jul 1814 in San Mauro Forte, Matera, Italia. He was the son of Andrea GINOSA and Francesca Di NUZZI. He married Lucia TROILO Abt. 1795 in San Mauro Forte, Matera, Italia.
3. Lucia TROILO, born 1774 in San Mauro Forte, Matera, Italia; died 20 Oct 1824 in San Mauro Forte, Matera, Italia. She was the daughter of Alessandro TROILO and Margherita PRIVINGANO.

Child of Marc GINOSA and Lucia TROILO is:
1 i. Alessandro GINOSA, born 22 Feb 1807 in San Mauro Forte, Basilicata, Italia; married Maria Grazia MAISTO 27 Jul 1854 in MacchiaD'Isernia, Campobasso, Molise, Italia.

So my surnames I am looking for from San Mauro are:

Ginosa, Troilo, di Nuzzi & Privingano

I wish the LDS would try and microfilm the church records.

Jim :)
MrSubway1

Post by MrSubway1 »

Hello. My grandfather is Vito Labella, born March 30, 1884. His father is Gianbattista Labella, born in 1854. My grandmother is Caterina Lacovara, born February 02, 1884.

All were born in San Mauro Forte.

Any information about them or the town would be greatly appreciated.

Have a great holiday season.

Regards,

Vito LaBella