"Il Magnifico" Designation?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
sigatti
Rookie
Rookie

"Il Magnifico" Designation?

Post by sigatti »

This topic has been addressed before, but I'm not sure I've gotten a clear concept of the honorific title "Il Magnifico." I first heard it when we visited Molise. A friend there told us that it was often used to refer to high-ranking university officials. As college professors, we thought that this was pretty funny.

However, In researching my husband's family--which was from Calabria--I ran across this title, which was attached to an ancestor. I was wondering how one earned this title. Most of the ancestors were farmers or landowners, but I don't get the sense that there was any nobility to speak of. I just don't know much about the way in which titles like "Signore" or "Il Magnifico" were conferred or used.

Any insights would be welcome.

Susan Gatti
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: "Il Magnifico" Designation?

Post by suanj »

The "Magnifico" just for those who hold public office and administrative, it is a honorary title, coming from a adjective, indicating the max relief, the max importance, the max significance of work role, work function...
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
Barbarossa
Veteran
Veteran

Post by Barbarossa »

Interesting, the first I've heard of this as a title.

Suanj - have you any historical knowledge of the surname Magnifico. I've come across it now, and have some added to my family tree (on indirect branches) which come from persons in Cherso - during the Venetian /Italian period of rule.

I wondered if there is any probable Greek connection of that surname as it may have migrated into Italy, perhaps around the 15th cen. The period I've been reviewing with Maginico surnames is between 1515-1800.

It was suggested in some reading of a descendant of this surname - who speculated his family name of Rodinis was also based in Greek (Rhodes), that those of Greecian descent began to come into Italy then.

Just wondering out loud : ) on that.

Also, I've come by the prefix designation in some short form, of Pron, with a cursive line above the ron.
I can't seem to find/or gather any clue to what it's short for. It precedes the paternal first name when reviewing various types of birth/marriage records.
Koman

Post by Koman »

The Rodinis could have come from Rodos, but also, there is a wheel ("roda" in local italian dialect), in their crest. It was a noble family in Cres.