Mis-Info on Carta d'Identita

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
jennabet
Master
Master

Mis-Info on Carta d'Identita

Post by jennabet »

Mis-information exists out there on the Electronic ID Card. For example, these cards are only available in a few select comuni, mostly in larger cities. This is not true. The fact is that in order to obtain an ID card in electronic form, an Italian citizen must have been a resident of the issuing comune for at least ten years. Newly recognized Italian citizens who have never lived in Italy are not eligible for the electronic card and will receive the paper card instead. To protect the paper card, buy a plastic sleeve for it -- available in all stationery stores. To make it fit in your wallet, start using an Italian style wallet. Problem solved for ten years until you qualify for the electronic card.
toasty

Re: Mis-Info on Carta d'Identita

Post by toasty »

That's not true at all. I have an electronic ID card and I got it as soon as I moved to Italy, immediately after my citizenship was recognized.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

Actually it is true but apparently, based on what you say, not in all cases. My Italian citizen companion moved to Italy with me in 2011. At that time, he was issued his first ID card in the paper form and was informed he cannot have the electronic card until the paper card expires in ten years. However, now that I look back on it, the commune may have made a mistake and thought perhaps he was not a citizen and that he had obtained residence because he was with me. I think if he returned now and asked for the electronic card, he could get it. However, most of my relatives and neighbors, being the thrifty minded Italians that they are, don't see a need to spend 30 euros plus for the electronic model when the paper model at under six euros accomplishes the same end and they do have a choice.

In 2001 when I obtained my first ID card, I was issued paper because the electronic card did not exist. At that time, the paper card was valid for five years so when it expired in 2006, I obtained the electronic card which had come into existence I believe in 2005.

I can't say what the rule is for Italian citizens who have never maintained residence in Italy but from reading these forums, I'm learning that most of them who are issued an ID card and live outside of the EU get the paper card.
toasty

Post by toasty »

That's funny, all my Italian friends prefer the paper card too. I agree it's prettier, but there's no way that thing would ever fit in my pockets, it's way too big to be convenient!

The electronic ID may vary by comune, but here's Padova's requirements, which say you can get it the first time you're requesting:
http://www.padovanet.it/informazione/ca ... ronica-cie

I like the part that says if you have no form of ID, two friends can come and testify to your identity.