Maria Domenica Santilli, 1809 Birth, Tocco

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
JOHN08
Master
Master

Maria Domenica Santilli, 1809 Birth, Tocco

Post by JOHN08 »

On the 18th of June 1809, in Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo, appeared Francesco Santilli, laborer, 28, presented his daughter, named Maria Domenica , and declared her birth on the 17th of June 1809 at 2 a.m.

These birth records (I looked at least ten) did not have any of the mother’s names noted. Has anyone seen a set of birth records with only the father’s name ?

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... owjtq9.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Re: Maria Domenica Santilli, 1809 Birth, Tocco

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

JOHN08 wrote:On the 18th of June 1809, in Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo, appeared Francesco Santilli, laborer, 28, presented his daughter, named Maria Domenica , and declared her birth on the 17th of June 1809 at 2 a.m.

Hi John

This looks fine, except that while I know that this is a birth record from Tocco, now in the Province of Pescara, I can't see that it is actually saying: “Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo”.

Just one thing to add, for your interest: after “Signor Francesco Santilli, di professione Bracciale d'anni ventotto”, I am understanding that it is saying that “he was living in the street, in front of the Church of S. Eustachio” :D

These birth records (I looked at least ten) did not have any of the mother’s names noted. Has anyone seen a set of birth records with only the father’s name ?

These early records don't always seem to have as much info in them as the later ones do. I've noticed some of my death records just mention the wife but not the parents. Some mention just the father and nobody else. I haven't noticed it so much with birth records, as yet. You have to always be on your guard because there are also often errors and it gets tricky when on a birth record there are three given names, yet years later only one of the names is used on children's birth records, marriage records etc – that's where allegati come in very useful, provided the correct documents are filed in the right package of documents etc. Good luck.

Angela :D

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... owjtq9.jpg
JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

Angela,

The location: "Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo" was from the cover page for the 1809 birth records, see the attached image. I should posted the cover page along with the birth record.

Thanks for your input.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... zva70k.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

JOHN08 wrote:Angela,

The location: "Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo Citeriore" was from the cover page for the 1809 birth records, see the attached image. I should posted the cover page along with the birth record.

Thanks for your input.

John

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:
JOHN08 wrote:Angela,

The location: "Tocco, district of Chieti, province of Abruzzo Citeriore" was from the cover page for the 1809 birth records, see the attached image. I should posted the cover page along with the birth record.

Thanks for your input.

John

John, you are very welcome :D

Livio, what does the word "universita" translate to in the context of these records?

Angela :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

I'm not 100% sure but I believe Università in that time frame was the smallest administrative unit and could include more than one village or small town.
It still had the original meaning of University (school).
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

Under the Napoleonic regime, the comuni of the Kingdom of Naples were called Universitas civium (It. comunità cittadine) or "Communities of Citizens".

In administrative terms, the cities and large villages of the Kingdom of Naples were called universita`. They were predominantly feudal communities controlled by barons and were most prominent in Basilicata, Terra di Lavoro, and Calabria. The feudal universita` were local municipal authorities with their own officials and councils. They sometimes had a wide citizen voting population and also had tax raising powers. They had some control over common lands.
Erudita
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Livio and Erudita

Thank you both for your feedback about "Universita'". I appreciate it.
erudita74 wrote: They were predominantly feudal communities controlled by barons and were most prominent in Basilicata ......
Erudita
This has certainly got me intrigued ..... Basilicata being my region. I remember my mother telling me a very unusual story once about a "prince" or a "lord" who governed either her or dad's town, well before their lifetime.....At the time it sounded like a fable to me, but maybe not? One more thing to investigate.

JOHN08
Master
Master

Post by JOHN08 »

I found the death record for Maria Domenica Santilli, which has the name of her mother; my translation of the death record:

On the 20th of December 1874, in Tocco Casauria, appeared Giuseppe Santilli, son of deceased Francesco, 52, shoemaker, born and living in Tocco, related to the deceased? [Is Giuseppe the brother of the deceased, Maria Domenica Santilli ?]; also appeared Gaetano Diliulio, son of deceased Clemente, 55, living in Tocco,

They declared at 8 p.m. on the 19th of December 1874, the death of Maria Domenica Santilli, 70, born and lived in Tocco, daughter of deceased Francesco and deceased Antonia Francazio ? Felice Antonio Raulli, shoemaker, living in Tocco, is the husband of Maria Domenica Santilli.

Appreciate any corrections/additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... mvjzm6.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... zyyqjv.jpg
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

JOHN08 wrote:I found the death record for Maria Domenica Santilli, which has the name of her mother; my translation of the death record:

On the 20th of December 1874, in Tocco Casauria, appeared Giuseppe Santilli, son of deceased Francesco, 52, shoemaker, born and living in Tocco, related to the deceased? [Is Giuseppe the brother of the deceased, Maria Domenica Santilli yes]; also appeared Gaetano Di Giulio, son of deceased Clemente, 55, living in Tocco,

They declared at 8 p.m. on the 19th of December 1874, the death of Maria Domenica Santilli, 70, born and lived in Tocco, daughter of deceased Francesco and deceased Antonia Francazio ? Feliceantonio Raulli, shoemaker, living in Tocco, is the husband of Maria Domenica Santilli.

Appreciate any corrections/additions.

John

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... mvjzm6.jpg

http://i950.photobucket.com/albums/ad34 ... zyyqjv.jpg
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

liviomoreno wrote:
JOHN08 wrote:I found the death record for Maria Domenica Santilli, which has the name of her mother; my translation of the death record:

On the 20th of December 1874, in Tocco Casauria, appeared Giuseppe Santilli, son of deceased Francesco, 52, shoemaker, born and living in Tocco, related to the deceased? [Is Giuseppe the brother of the deceased, Maria Domenica Santilli yes]; also appeared Gaetano Di Giulio, son of deceased Clemente, 55, living in Tocco,
Livio, I was just looking at this also. What is the word there that says that Giuseppe is the brother of the deceased, please? I thought that it was a variation of the word "genaro" meaning son-in-law? Obviously it isn't :)
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Germano
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Thank you, Livio. Yes, Germano is what I was reading, but I've never seen this before. I thought fratello, (although we would say frate), was brother. A new word for me, thank you.

AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Wonderful! Grazie, Livio.