ancestors from como

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
dianew

ancestors from como

Post by dianew »

I have an ancestor that was born in como in 1799,but had no luck in finding out any more except that he came over to england before 1823.(i guess como is a big place).
But i want to know how he got over here.His name was Dominic Luvate but possiabley it might have been changed.

any info would be greatful.

diane
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: ancestors from como

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello Diane :-)

The surname LUVATE does not exist in Italy today. However, the names LUVATTI and LUVETTI (using the phonetic pronunciation of you ancestor's surname) do exist in the Lombardia Region where the Province of Como is located.

Can you tell my why you stated that he arrived before 1823? Did something significant happen in 1823, or something that you can document to put him in England?

Found this Baptism in Lancashire, England for Charles Luvate in 1865.

Name: Charles Herbert Luvate
Baptism/Christening Date: 17 Feb 1865
Baptism/Christening Place: SAINT JOHN,PRESTON,LANCASHIRE,ENGLAND
Birth Date:
Birthplace:
Death Date:
Name Note:
Race:
Father's Name: Dominic Luvate
Father's Birthplace:
Father's Age:
Mother's Name: Elizabeth Jane
Mother's Birthplace:
Mother's Age:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C00713-6
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 93989, 93990

ALSO this marriage for Dominic Luvattic in 1823 :-)

Groom's Name: Dominic Luvattic
Groom's Birth Date:
Groom's Birthplace:
Groom's Age:
Bride's Name: Jane Railton
Bride's Birth Date:
Bride's Birthplace:
Bride's Age:
Marriage Date: 29 Sep 1823
Marriage Place: Saint John,Preston,Lancashire,England
Groom's Father's Name:
Groom's Mother's Name:
Bride's Father's Name:
Bride's Mother's Name:
Groom's Race:
Groom's Marital Status:
Groom's Previous Wife's Name:
Bride's Race:
Bride's Marital Status:
Bride's Previous Husband's Name:
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: M00713-2
System Origin: England-ODM
Source Film Number: 93993, 93994, 94006, 94012, 94013, 94014, 94015

I realize that the above information does not answer your question, but it provides reference for searching. :-)

Here is some information about Italian migration to UK in 19th C.
http://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/arti ... ration.htm

And from this site:
http://wiki.ask.com/Italians_in_the_Uni ... m?oo=14222
From Napoleon to WWI

Napoleon wars left northern Italy with a destroyed agricolture and consequently many farmers were forced to emigrate: a few thousands moved to the British isles in the first half of the nineteenth century.
From the 1820s to 1851...accounts for 4000 Italian immigrants in England, with 50% of them living in London. The regional origins of most were the valleys around Como, and Lucca. The people from Como were skilled artisans, making barometers and other precision instruments. People from Lucca specialized in plaster figure making.By the 1870s the main regional origins of Italian emigration to Britain were the valleys of Parma in the north, and the Liri valley, half way between Rome and Naples. A railway network had been started by this time and this helped the people from the Liri valley to migrate to the North of Italy, and then on to Britain.
T.
dianew

Post by dianew »

Hi Tessa

Yes to your question, Dominic Luvate was married in 1823 in England so from then on i can follow him and his family and wife Jane Railton,but its just a question of following him backwards.

many thanks
Diane
Harry

Post by Harry »

Hi Diane,
I have just found your 2012 post concerning Dominic Luvate. His daughter Mary was my great grandmother and I have just started to trace his origins. Your posts have already helped me a lot.

I am wondering if you have any new information since 2012 and if you have I would be very grateful if you would share it with me.

Best Regards

Harry