Birth Record Intro Paragraph

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
jerrys1024
Rookie
Rookie

Birth Record Intro Paragraph

Post by jerrys1024 »

In trying to learn how to translate Italian vital records to English, I would like to get a complete word by word translation of this intro paragraph to a birth record for Francesca Insinna.

Tessa was kind enough to give me an extract translation of the vital genealogical data but I can't relate that to the words in this first paragraph.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Jerry Schneider
Burke, VA, USA
Attachments
Birth Record - Francesca Insinna 1873 -x1.jpg
adelfio
Master
Master

Re: Birth Record Intro Paragraph

Post by adelfio »

In the year 1873 October 29 at 11 AM at the town office in Vallelunga province of Caltanissetta before the state civil official and delegate Antonio Alessio Gatta
appeared Rosalia Bando, spinner, age 22, resides in Vallelunga, who presented a baby of female sex, who she declared was born in Vallelunga

MARKED BIRTH RECORD
Attachments
35.jpg
Researching Trabia, Palermo surnames Adelfio, Bondi, Butera, Scardino,Rinella, Scardamaglia

Marty
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

"The year 1873 the day 29 October at the hour 11 am in the town hall (Casa Comunale) of Vallelunga, before me Antonino Alessio Galta, Comune Secretary (Segretario Communale) of Vallalunga, district and province of Caltanissetta, delegated with the function of civil records officer, appeared..."

This is a standard header. It starts with the year, day, and time at which and place in which the report was made. It then identifies the person making the report, including his title, responsibilities, and sometimes the time from which he acted in that role. Then after the word "comparso" you find the information about the person making the report and what that person actually said.

It continues "...Rosalia Ba(ca)do, spinner, of age 22, domiciled in Vallelunga, who presented a baby of gender female, that"

That's where it ends.
jerrys1024
Rookie
Rookie

Post by jerrys1024 »

Thank you so, so much. And, thank you especially for the marked up record. It is much more detailed and understandable than the cheat sheets I was using.

Are there comparable ones for Death and Marriage records? Are these from a book?

With my Russian, Ukrainian, Belerusian and Polish records, I have a couple of books that specifically deal with how to translate the respective vital records, accompanied by examples and dictionary for specific details in the vital records.

Thank you once again. With my foray into Italian records (doing a courtesy family genealogy for my new brother-in-laws family lines), I feel so dependent and in a position where I can't really contribute anything at this point.

- jerry
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

Keep in mind that the format and order varied a bit depending on the time period. In Sicily, the records were handwritten from 1866 to 1874 while they switched to the new system (after the introduction of the first Italian Civil Code of 1865). The record that Marty provided is from after this. The records from before 1866 had more information. In particular, they used to have separate sections for the declarant, the mother, and the father, and then the newborn, with baptismal information on the right side.

Death records begin similarly to birth records, but then have 2 declarants, followed by the date, time, and place of death, and then the name and details of the person who died. So you have to read far into the record to know who died. As with birth records, 2 witnesses to the report follow in the next paragraph.

Marriage records are somewhat different. After the official specifies the time of the record and identifies himself, in the records before 1866 and after 1874, the details of the 2 people who are marrying follow next (the groom and then the bride), but in the handwritten records their information can appear much further into the record, and even sometimes in opposite order if the bride to be visited the town hall first. Before 1866 both civil and church information appeared in the records, but after 1865 only civil information.