Leanza - Mirenda Marriage Record Bronte

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Leanza - Mirenda Marriage Record Bronte

Post by salveminif »

Hello forum members,

I took this photo when I visited Bronte Town Hall. It is a record of my grandparents marriage. I would love to be able to have an exact (or close to) translation of it. I know that it states that a son (Umberto) was born prior to the marriage. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope that one of the links below works.

Thank you Frances

http://s19.postimg.org/ktzscmrlv/leanzo ... bronte.jpg

Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: Leanza - Mirenda Marriage Record Bronte

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello, Frances :-)

Act of Marriage #143
Dated 27 December 1906 at 1:40 PM [could be 11:40 AM - hard to read] at the town office in Bronte
Before the official... personally appeared:
1 - Vincenzo Leanza, age 25, peasant farmer born in Bronte, residing in Bronte, son of Vito who resides in Bronte, and of Giuseppa Pappalardi residing in Bronte;
2 - Giuseppa Mirenda, age 21, manufacturer [industriosa], born in Bronte, residing in Bronte; daughter of deceased Antonio who resided in Bronte, and of Vincenza Castiglione residing in Bronte...

Standard language of marriage about the law and asking each if he/she takes the other as spouse, etc. follows.

At the act were present Nunzio Caruso, 25, peasant farmer; and Francesco D'Andrea, 42, mason, both residents of the town, to act as witnesses.

Documents presented to the official:
~ Certificate of publication of banns of marriage on 16 and 23 of the month.
The spouses presented testimony that from their natural union was born a son who they declared to the official was born on 16 June of the present year, and was given the name Umberto Leanza [son of Vincenzo & of mother unknown (in the register)] and they wish to recognize this child as their legitimate son with this act.

T.
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Thank you Tessa, What does it mean "mother unknown (in the register) Does this mean that Giusseppa Mirenda is not Umberto's biological mother? I guess I will try to find Umberto's italian birth certificate. I did receive a birth record for him while in Bronte and it lists both Vincenzo and Giusseppa as his parents. I greatly appreciate your assistance.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

In the original birth record of Umberto only his father (Vincenzo) was mentioned, and the mother was listed as unknown.
With the marriage Vincenzo and Giuseppa declared that Umberto was their biological child, and they legitimized him. A note regarding this legitimization was added to the birth record.
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Thank you Livio. Were you able to see the original birth record of Umberto? I would love to be able to see that. Or, can you tell me how you found this info? Thank you, Frances
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

When a child is recognized, by one or both parents, after the birth it was (and is) mandatory to write a note near the original record.
You said that the birth record you received from Bronte listed both parents, how would the official know the name of the mother if the original registration listed her as unknown?
If you ask the Ufficio di Stato Civile of Bronte to send you an "estratto per copia integrale dell'atto di nascita" you will see the original record and the side note...
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Livio, Yes that is what is confusing because the birth record of Umberto listed both parents. If the side note states mother unknown, does that mean that Vincenzio fathered the child with "a different woman" ? Thank you Frances
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

salveminif wrote:Livio, Yes that is what is confusing because the birth record of Umberto listed both parents. If the side note states mother unknown, does that mean that Vincenzio fathered the child with "a different woman" ? Thank you Frances
No. It is the record in the book that states mother unknown, and there is a side note stating that the child was recognized by his biological parents are Vincenzo Leanza and Giuseppa Mirenda.

1 - in September 1905 Vincenzo Leanza and Giuseppa Mirenda had sex together (and where not married)
2 - after 9 months Giuseppa delivered a baby (June 16 1906)
3 - Giuseppe took the baby, went to the Ufficio di Stato civile and presented the baby. He declared that the baby was his own son due to a relation with a woman who did not want to be named. Giuseppe also said that the baby's name was Umberto
4 - On Dec 27 1906 Vincenzo and Giuseppa got married and they declared to the Ufficio di Stato civile that the Umberto Leanza born on June 16 was their biological child and that they legitimated him.
5 - Some time after the marriage the Officer wrote a side notation near the birth record stating that the child was recognized and legitimized by Vincenzo Leanza and Giuseppa Mirenda
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

I am so intrigued as to how you found this information so quickly, what documents are you looking at? thank you Frances
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

The only document I am looking at is the marriage record that you posted. Adding a little bit of experience with similar documents and situations makes it easy to understand what happened.
Could you please post the birth record you got from the Town Hall in Bronte?
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Livio,

Attached are two documents. One is the certificate of birth of Umberto that I received from the official in Bronte. The other is a photo image taken of the side notation of Umberto's birth record. I cannot find the image of the entire record.

Thank you Frances
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Hello again, Frances :-)

As Livio :-) stated above...
In image one... the side note on the original birth act (which is required when a civil record is amended or annotated) states that Umberto Leanza di Vincenzo [son of Vincenzo] was made legitimate by Vincenzo Leanza and Giuseppa Mirenda by their celebrated marriage in this town on 27 December 1906 and was transcribed into registers of marriage at Act #143, part one. Seen and approved by the official [the Procuratore] and the annotation was signed on 4 January 1907.

The extract (second image you posted) was written in 2014, and so it would provide the information from the birth register as amended - which includes the names of BOTH parents.
If you could locate the complete image of the original birth record you would see that mother is not listed.

Giuseppa Mirenda is the mother of Umberto and chose not to be named (for whatever reason) at the time of the birth.

T.
salveminif
Rookie
Rookie

Post by salveminif »

Thank you Tessa, I am working on getting the entire image of Umberto's birth record. Again thank you so much for your assistance.

Regards, Frances