Geluso Maria Vincenza

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Geluso Maria Vincenza

Post by stokkster1 »

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2046915

Could someone translate Please and thank you, she is at the very bottom of the page 37 of 307 I know its 1764, looks like father is Antonino and mother ??? Also how do I tell the day and month where am I looking, the words don;t look the same as the newer records so I am having a hard time figuring out where to look and what I am looking for. Sorry Guys & gals
carubia
Master
Master

Re: Geluso Maria Vincenza

Post by carubia »

Maria Vincenza Geluso was born to Antonio and Teresa on 1 Dec 1764 and baptized the same day. The date is "pmo X bri 1764." Pmo (with a bar over the m) is short for primo = 1st. X stands for 10, so 10bri is December. In Italian "bre" would be used instead of "bri." Similarly 7bri is September, 8bri is October, and 9bri is November. The names for these months begin with the numbers 7, 8, 9, and 10 because the year used to start in March and they were the respective 7th through 10th month.
stokkster1
Elite
Elite

Post by stokkster1 »

carubia wrote:Maria Vincenza Geluso was born to Antonio and Teresa on 1 Dec 1764 and baptized the same day. The date is "pmo X bri 1764." Pmo (with a bar over the m) is short for primo = 1st. X stands for 10, so 10bri is December. In Italian "bre" would be used instead of "bri." Similarly 7bri is September, 8bri is October, and 9bri is November. The names for these months begin with the numbers 7, 8, 9, and 10 because the year used to start in March and they were the respective 7th through 10th month.
Okay I think I understand so did were using roman numerals back then like XVI etc? so would Jan be 11bri? and Feb 12bri? or did they only have months Mar thru Dec?

So when I am looking at a record that says die decima which means tenth day then Octava is this Oct? I see the work ejusdem on the next record which is telling me that it is the same as the one above Wow I was just getting use to reading the other records now I have to learn latin :cry:
carubia
Master
Master

Post by carubia »

octava is 8th (like how the prefix "octo" means 8, as in octopus), so decima octava is 10 and 8, that is, 18.

The names of the months in Latin are very similar to those in English (because the names in English,and Italian, came from Latin). If you look at the names of the months in English, you'll notice that only September through December end in "ber." Sept, oct, nov, and dec are derived from the Latin words for 7, 8, 9, and 10, so these months were originally just called "7th month," etc, but none of the other month names follow this convention, so you don't see, e.g., 11bri or 6bri.

The X for 10 is the only case where you see roman numerals being used in the month name. Maybe this was because "X" is only one character while writing "10" requires 2, whereas writing VII, VIII, or IX would require more characters than just writing 7, 8, or 9.