d'Avino, Alfonso Birth #98

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

d'Avino, Alfonso Birth #98

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Grazie,

Dolores
Tessa78
Master
Master

Re: d'Avino, Alfonso Birth #98

Post by Tessa78 »

Dated 25 October 1873
Father: Giovanni D'Avino, 38, shepherd son of Carmine
Mother: Filomena Guerriero, his wife, daughter of Liberato
Child was born on 24th at home in Strada Sparanzella, and given the name Alfonso

T.
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Dolores

Just to add to what Tessa has already written. We differ on Giovanni d'Avino's occupation? (I had already typed this up a wee while ago and was researching a couple of things.)

Birth Record No 98: Alfonso d'Avino
25 October 1873, 10 am, Frigento
Giovanni d'Avino, son of Carmine, 38 yo, Sartore (tailor), living Frigento, presented a baby boy who he reported was born the day 24 (October 1873), 10 am, to his wife Filomina Guerriero??, daughter of Liberato, at a house located in this village, Strada Sparanzella (Via Speranzella? See below), which son he gives the name Alfonso.

Witnesses:
Liberato Guerriero??, son of Silvestro, 49 yo, Tavernaio?? (Innkeeper)
Michele Stanco, son of the late Pasquale, 37 yo, falegname (carpenter/joiner), both living in Frigento.

The witnesses did not sign as they were illiterate but the declarant, Giovanni d'Avino has signed.

Here are some links to Via Speranzella:
http://www.tuttocitta.it/mappa/frigento/via-speranzella
http://it.mapaworld.com/mappa/via-spera ... talia.html

Angela :D
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you both, Tessa and Angela. For the record, Giovanni is listed as a tailor on his other children's records. Might he have changed to a shepherd at some point? Thank you also for the links, I like them!
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you both, Tessa and Angela. For the record, Giovanni is listed as a tailor on his other children's records. Might he have changed to a shepherd at some point? Thank you also for the links, I like them!
You are very welcome Dolores, and I am happy you like the links too. I guess anything's possible, and it could very well be Pastore. I'm always open to correction, and that's how I learn and remember best. I guess another pair of eyes could help, and also of course further research.

Angela :D
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

That's how I learn also..........I suspect this Alfonso died before 1878 as he had a brother also named Alfonso, who was born in April 1878 who may have immigrated to the U.S.
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

Hi Dolores

Yes, you are correct, he died the year before his older brother was born, aged four years old. So sad - I really don't know how these poor people coped, so many of them often having multiple children die :cry: Alfonso's death details:

Death No 76: Alfonso di Avino
30 August 1877, 8.45 am, Frigento
Appearing were Giuseppe Capobianco, 28, barber, and Giuseppe Laurino, 32, peasant farmer, both living Frigento. They reported that at 9.20 pm yestereday (29 August 1877), at a house in Via Salita Speranzella, No 18, Alfonso di Avino died. He was aged four, born and residing Frigento, son of Giovanni (di Avino), Sarto (tailor) and Filomena Guerriero, housewife, both living Frigento. It says that Alfonso was Celibe – never married.

Witnesses: Marciano Cancelliere, 36, contadino e Francesco Genua, 33, Calzolaio, both residents of Frigento.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1 ... cc=2043434

Angela
Tessa78
Master
Master

Post by Tessa78 »

Yes, I agree that it reads "sartore" - I misread it as "pastore" on a small screen :-)

T.
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

Thank you, Angela! So sad what they had to go through back then.

Thank you also, Tessa!
Grazie,

Dolores
AngelaGrace56
Master
Master

Post by AngelaGrace56 »

dmurphy1940 wrote:Thank you, Angela! So sad what they had to go through back then.

Thank you also, Tessa!
Dolores: You are very welcome, Dolores. Indeed, very sad. I spent some time a few months ago with a very sick little baby in hospital - all tubed up, and needing oxygen etc - absolutely heartbreaking. Praise God, he recovered and bounced back and is now doing all the delicious, exciting, interesting things little babies do. We are so fortunate we live in the time we do with modern hospitals etc . Parents back then would have had to watch their precious ones slowly die. It doesn't bear thinking about.

Tessa: Thank you for the back up. :D

Angela :)
dmurphy1940
Master
Master

Post by dmurphy1940 »

:)
Grazie,

Dolores