family origins

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
gbdux31

family origins

Post by gbdux31 »

Hello

I am trying to find the origins of my fathers family in Italy. I have been told that the family was from Calabria.
My great grandfather Achille Branca was born in Nov 1873 in Italy. At the age of 22 he emigrated to the US aboard the ship Cachemire out of Naples. He arrived in New York May 29 1893. He married my great grandmother Theresa and had children Frank, Fredrick,Albert (my grandfather), Joseph and Ernest. They lived in New York . I would very much like to find out the town the family was origianilly from. Any help is appreciated.

GB
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Re: family origins

Post by johnnyonthespot »

This guy?

World War I Draft Registration Cards, 1917-1918 about Achille Branca
Name: Achille Branca
City: Manhattan
County: New York
State: New York
Birth Date: Nov 1873
Race: White
FHL Roll Number: 1786857
DraftBoard: 165

Click to enlarge. A better copy is probably available; ask me how if you are interested.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Probable passenger manifest; 12th name down from the top.

Place of last residence appears to be "Trenta" - Comune di Trenta, Provincia di Cosenza, Regione di Calabria. Could also be Trento (an entirely different place) but looks like Trenta to me.

There are several other Branca's on the same sheet.

New York Passenger Lists, 1820-1957 about Achille Branca
Name: Achille Branca
Arrival Date: 29 May 1893
Birth Year: abt 1871
Ethnicity/Race­/Nationality: Italian
Port of Departure: Naples, Italy
Port of Arrival: New York, New York
Ship Name: Cachemire

Click to enlarge; click again for maximum magnification.
Carmine

My hobby is finding things. Having found most of my own, I am happy to help others find theirs. PM me! :)
johnnyonthespot
Master
Master

Go to this site http://poster.beniculturali.it/poster/action.do and create a free account ("Register" at top right).

Next, click "People" and then search Last Name: branca Place of Birth: trenta.

You will find lots of possible relatives. :)
Carmine

dizabrat
Rookie
Rookie

Post by dizabrat »

Hi Carmine, I don’t know if you still have the time to help others but the Trenta site I was using have been down for weeks and wondering if you have any other resources I could use. My great great grandfather Antonio Ferdinando Branca was born on June 1, 1850, in Trenta, Calabria, Italy, his father, Raffaele, was 32 and his mother, Maddalena Campana, was 22. He married Maria Rogato Branca on October 29, 1870, in Trenta. My issue is no one ever remember him having any siblings and anyone I could ask has obviously passed. I am desperately trying to find more children of Antonio Ferdinando and Maria Rogato besides my great grandfather Achille Branca born in 1871 or 1873. In researching everyone else it seems everyone had close to 10 children back then. Could you let me know how to get to these records online in Trenta? Thanks you.
dizabrat
Rookie
Rookie

Re: family origins (BRANCA)

Post by dizabrat »

Hi. So I see we are related. I also am looking for more information on Achille Branca!

My great great grandfather Antonio Ferdinando Branca was born on June 1, 1850, in Trenta, Calabria, Italy, his father, Raffaele, was 32 and his mother, Maddalena Campana, was 22. He married Maria Rogato Branca on October 29, 1870, in Trenta.

My issue is no one ever remember' Achille to having any siblings and anyone I could ask has obviously passed. I am desperately trying to find more children of Antonio Ferdinando and Maria Rogato besides my great grandfather Achille Branca born in 1873.

Have you found anything in your search? Thank you. Diane Presta McCool