earthquake in marsicovetere

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

this earthquake happened in 1857, wiping out a town, my grandfather may be from here. does any one have anymore info on this?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: earthquake in marsicovetere

Post by suanj »

girty wrote:this earthquake happened in 1857, wiping out a town, my grandfather may be from here. does any one have anymore info on this?
Hi:eartquake 16 dec. 1857- interested towns (please visit URL) :
http://emidius.mi.ingv.it/DOM/extractor ... udio=GUF87
destroyed towns: Polla (2000 died), Paternò, Marsicovetere....
:roll:

regards,
suanj
girty
Veteran
Veteran

earthquake

Post by girty »

not to sound to morbid, but is there any where to get a list of the dead from this terrible earthquake?
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: earthquake

Post by suanj »

girty wrote:not to sound to morbid, but is there any where to get a list of the dead from this terrible earthquake?
I do not know: I task will have died's list in Common interested ... :oops:
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

can you tell me what newspapers may have been around during this time period, maybe i can see if i can research old clippings somewhere. if my family was from there not and my name is now extinct there, iam curious to see how many of them actually may have died, here in the usa, the name is also rare. so not to many must have survived thanks
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

girty wrote:can you tell me what newspapers may have been around during this time period, maybe i can see if i can research old clippings somewhere. if my family was from there not and my name is now extinct there, iam curious to see how many of them actually may have died, here in the usa, the name is also rare. so not to many must have survived thanks
Hi:read private message ..bye
DonnaFuller

Post by DonnaFuller »

My grandfather's family is from Marsicovetere. I have looked at the civil registration records from that time period. They stop at the end of November for that year and begin again in January. I imagine that with so much of the town wiped out that it was nearly impossible to identify all of the dead.

Who are your relatives there? I am related to the Brunos and Anciellos.

Donna
DonnaFuller

Post by DonnaFuller »

My grandfather's family is from Marsicovetere. I have looked at the civil registration records from that time period. They stop at the end of November for that year and begin again in January. I imagine that with so much of the town wiped out that it was nearly impossible to identify all of the dead.

Donna
girty
Veteran
Veteran

Post by girty »

DonnaFuller wrote:My grandfather's family is from Marsicovetere. I have looked at the civil registration records from that time period. They stop at the end of November for that year and begin again in January. I imagine that with so much of the town wiped out that it was nearly impossible to identify all of the dead.

Donna
Hi Donna,
Thats interesting about the registration records. Well since I first wrote this post I have found out my family is from Marsiconuovo/Paterno. Not far from Marsicovetere. I found a site and it listed the number of dead in each town in Potenza. It seems 90 people were killed in Marsicovetere. and between both Paterno and Marsiconuovo 212 were killed. the hardest hit commune seemed to be Montemurro , 5000 killed and 500 injured. Another interesting fact I found out was my great grandfather was born on December 16, 1857 the same day as the earthquake.

Ellen
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: earthquake

Post by ricbru »

girty wrote:not to sound to morbid, but is there any where to get a list of the dead from this terrible earthquake?
You can find the names of death people in marsicovetere earthquake in this FHL microfilm

Nati, pubblicazioni, matrimoni, morti, diversi, allegati 1857-1862 FHL INTL Film

or contact

Archivio di Stato di Potenza

http://wwwdb.archivi.beniculturali.it/S ... POTENZA%22

or

Comune
Ufficio di Stato Civile
Piazza Municipio, 2
85050 Marsicovetere (PZ)
Italy

or local library

Biblioteca Comunale
via C. Colombo
85050 Marsicovetere (PZ)
Italy

or local association of territory

Pro Loco "Villa D'Agri"
c/o Evangelista Faustina
Via Roma
85050 Marsicovetere (pz)
Italy

I hope it helps, bye Riccardo :lol:
sileo

Post by sileo »

My family came from this area of Italy. My Great Great Grandfather was Rocco Sileo born 1860 in Marsicovetere. His first wife must have died and then he married Carolina Fratantuono who was born in 1874 in Marsicovetere. He had many children prior to immigrating to the US in 1900 but only came over with 3 children. Maria, born 1890, Guiseppe born 1891 and Vincenzo born 1894. I think there were 3 or 4 other children. I am looking for any information concerning these people and who I can contact to help me research them in Italy.
Thank you,
Michelle
jcsm400
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by jcsm400 »

Hi Michelle,

Welcome to the forum.

I have a request....please post the above info on a new post.....just click on "new topic." This will make it easier for you & us to follow progress of the re search.

There is film for the civil records for the town of Marsicovetere, 1809-1910.
Will wait for new post

Thanks a million,

jcsm
Researching in San Vitaliano, Napoli, Italy & Armento, Potenza, Italy.
ffratan

Post by ffratan »

Mi Chiamo Francesco Fratantuono.

I was born and raised in Chicago, my family is from Marsicovetere and imigrated to chicaco in 1912, my cousins are still living in Marsicovetere and i vist them about every two years for a month at a time. I am in contacted with them often and have many foto's of the town and cemetary.

If i can be of any help please feel free to email me.

ffratan@yahoo.com

Aputarti
Ciao
Franco