Can someone help me?

Are you looking for an Italian surname? Do you need more information about your family heritage?
This is the right place to start your genealogy search.
Nanu2554

Can someone help me?

Post by Nanu2554 »

I've just found out after 52 years, that I was adopted from Italy in 1954 by American parents (Italians too). While life with them was wonderful, I need to know more about myself. I have no birth certificate just US naturalization papers. Where do I start? Italian consolate? Can someone help? :cry:
ricbru
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Can someone help me?

Post by ricbru »

You should start to talk with some relatives or, see around if there are letters written to your parents from some brothers or in laws,
I hope it helps, bye Riccardo
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Nanu2554 wrote:I've just found out after 52 years, that I was adopted from Italy in 1954 by American parents (Italians too). While life with them was wonderful, I need to know more about myself. I have no birth certificate just US naturalization papers. Where do I start? Italian consolate? Can someone help? :cry:
Hi There,

I too am an adoptee. I know it's tough with the not knowing. However, I would like to know what is the name of the town on your Naturalization Papers?

If you know the town, you can still try to get a Birth Act from Italy.

Also, are your adoptive parents willing to discuss anything about you or your birth family? Any little tidbit could be a big clue.

Try to smile for me!:)
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Nanu2554

Post by Nanu2554 »

Trish,
Thank you so much for the comfoting words. Unfortunatley, both my parents and aunts are deceased. I have only my mother's cousin and I'm going to talk to her this week. This is not something my parents wanted me to know. It was actually soemthing I never wanted to know, but when my last Aunt died in September, it came out thru the above cousin's remenising. I only know that my parents left Italy in November of 1954, and I was 10 months old. The name on the ship's log was "bimba Vitale Orsini Onello" My adoptive surname is Vitale. My parents always told me I was born in Rome, but now, who knows. I'm going to try the Italian Consolate here in NY. Again, thanks for you kind words.

Nancine
brujaojos
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by brujaojos »

Nanu2554 wrote:Trish,
Thank you so much for the comfoting words. Unfortunatley, both my parents and aunts are deceased. I have only my mother's cousin and I'm going to talk to her this week. This is not something my parents wanted me to know. It was actually soemthing I never wanted to know, but when my last Aunt died in September, it came out thru the above cousin's remenising. I only know that my parents left Italy in November of 1954, and I was 10 months old. The name on the ship's log was "bimba Vitale Orsini Onello" My adoptive surname is Vitale. My parents always told me I was born in Rome, but now, who knows. I'm going to try the Italian Consolate here in NY. Again, thanks for you kind words.

Nancine
Dear Nancine,

Ask the cousin what she remembers. Maybe a name, a place, even an orphange that you were placed out of. Anything may help.

Was anyone in your family an Orsini or an Onello? Those names might also be some clues in finding out who your birth parents are.

Try the Consulate like you stated. They might be able to help. Also, do you have all your parents' papers? There might be some clues in their personal papers. I found my original Baptismal Certificate which had my birth name on it mixed in with my parents' Wills.

This is a link for Infobel which is a telephone directory. There are too many Vitale's listed.
http://www.infobel.com/italy/wp/search/ ... Search.y=0

Keep us posted as to how you are making out. Also, if you ever need to talk, my email address is brujaojos@yahoo.com. I know all too well about being adopted and the not knowing.

gentle hug
Trish
Smile for me!:)
Trish
Professional & Certified Genealogist
Where the Acorn Fell Genealogy Services
Genealogy-Forum
Nanu2554

Post by Nanu2554 »

Trish,
Thanks so much for all the help. I've got an appointment at the Italian Consualte next Wednesday, and I'm seeing the old cousin on the 11th. I'll keep you posted, and thanks for caring.

Nan