Can I pick up birth certificate (estratto) while visiting the Comune?

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
msabattini

Re: Can I pick up birth certificate (estratto) while visiting the Comune?

Post by msabattini »

Thank you so much, suanj!
Will do.
Should I expect Bologna to charge a fee?
Would it help if I offered to provide some return postage, like a stamped self-addressed envelope or something?

Regarding contacting the Consulate, that seems easier said than done. Everything I read makes it seem like they can't be bothered until I've made my appointment, waited a year and a half, paid my €300, and am now standing at their little teller window. Only then will I find out what Is unacceptable, which may vary according to the disposition of the individual. Bureaucracy! :)
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

no charge fee, but the return postage is ok.. if you read here: http://www.comune.bologna.it/cittadino/ ... 2939/3172/
- it is necessary to print, to fill, to sign, this form: http://www.comune.bologna.it/media/file ... o_sc_1.pdf
-and to attach a copy of your ID card ( or passport or similar)
-and to enclose a envelope addressed to you
-and with italian stamp (helpful to send in USA)
-and to send by mail to this address:

Comune di Bologna -
Servizi Demografici - Servizio Corrispondenza
piazza Maggiore 6
40124 Bologna (BO)
Italy

or on the website it is this infos: to send also by email to :
CertificazioneStoricaeCorrispondenza@comune.bologna.it
Personally.... I'd take advantage of the fact of not being resident in Italy and I'd send a simple email of request to:
CertificazioneStoricaeCorrispondenza@comune.bologna.it

abt:
"ESTRATTO DI ATTO DI NASCITA -MODELLO PLURILINGUE,a fini richiesta cittadinanza italiana per ius sanguinis
di SABATINI Alfredo nato a Borgo Panigale il 3 Dicembre 1872, figlio di Vincenzo e di STEFANI Ester."

and to complete writing all your data and the your full address, and to attach a copy of ID card...
and to wait....
abt the Italian Consulate, please to visite the website, because are many infos here, otherwise you can contact by email or by phone.. and if no reply, you re-send the email...
Best,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

I guess I was accustomed to dealing with Zocca.
Who knew Bologna would have a user-friendly website and make it easy for a US-based request? And even include the expected response time. Wow!
Once again, you were super helpful, suanj.
Thanks again!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Happy to help you!
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

msabattini wrote:
3) I live in PA. The requirements for the Philly consulate indicate I do not need birth certificates for those not in my chain of Italians, e.g, GGM, GM, M. Every other consulate seems to require them. I wasn't planning on getting them (especially after the hassle of getting just ONE Italian document), but I just want to make sure I don't get burned. Any experience with that in Philly?
I was recognized by the Philly consulate through my paternal grand-father. I did not need any documents at all for my grand-mother's line. In fact, her name was only mentioned on their marriage certificate and on his naturalization documents.
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

Thanks jennabet. That gives me peace of mind.
Another one for you:
Is the €300 the total amount for the appointment, or is it €300 for each person who wants to piggy-back off my documents? (For instance, if my sister or one of my cousins wants to join the endeavor.)
And must I know who's joining me at the time I make my appointment, or can they join in later?
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

Oooooooooooh, just thought of another one:
Alfredo's birth date (according to the Italian record) is Dec 3 1872.
His marriage license doesn't show a birth date, but I imagine his naturalization papers will. I haven't yet received whatever it is that USCIS provides, but his County naturalization record shows his birth date as Dec 5 1872 - as does every other US document of his.
Any idea why the discrepancy?
And if Dec 5 1872 shows up on the USCIS document, will that two-day discrepancy mess me up?
Thanks
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

...And a couple more:
I don't get to visit my folks all that often, but I'll be out there next week. While I'm there, could I take care of getting my dad's "declaration of no renunciation" filled out and notarized? (Easier to handle it in person than from afar)
I guess the real question is, since my Consulate appt will probably be like a year from now, will the Consulate say too much time has elapsed from the notarization date?

Also, I read that everyone in the chain of ascendancy becomes a citizen if I do. How exactly does that work? Will my dad also receive some type of notification? (GF & GGF are deceased)
Thanks!
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I didn't pay a fee as the $300 per person is fairly new. But everyone who is recognized must each pay $300. You can ask if they will allow more than one applicant (siblings, cousins) at your appointment but anyone who decides later to be recognized must make their own application. They won't be allowed to join yours but you could share your documents with them. Your direct ascendants will not be recognized unless they ask to be.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

I didn't have any date discrepancies on my application but if you have a discrepancy on your US docs that contradicts the Italian birth certificate, you will have to get the commune to give you a separate document that states there was no one born with your ancestor's name with the disputed date. My direct ascendant (father) was already deceased when I applied and I just had to state that he never renounced so I can't give you an answer as to when your ascendant should get his no renunciation letter notarized. But your direct ascendant will not be recognized if he doesn't want to be but you still need his signature.
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

Thanks jennabet. Should I ask for that separate document to include something about the spelling discrepancy too? If so, what specifically am I asking for? Sorry if the answer to that seems obvious, but given the language barrier and response times I just want to get this right the first time.
jennabet
Master
Master

Post by jennabet »

The consulate will only accept as correct the spelling that appears on the Italian document you received from the Comune. For the date discrepancy, you should ask the commune for a "one in the same" letter. For spelling errors, you may have to get some of your US documents amended but I would ask the consulate first if this is absolutely necessary. It would depend on just what kind of spelling error it is.
msabattini

Post by msabattini »

Thanks. It just seems funny to have to get a statement saying there was only 1 Alfredo born to a Vincenzo Sabatini and an Ester Stefani between Dec 3 and Dec 5 1872. ...As if there were a dozen couples all named Vincenzo Sabatini and Ester Stefani, all living in that particular comune in 1872, all got pregnant at the same time, and all named their kid Alfredo. His marriage license shows Vincenzo and Ester. I would think that should be enough to resolve it, but I have to remember who I'm dealing with. :roll:
As far as 1 T vs 2 Ts, I can't change that on the US side, as that would require name changes for my GF, F, and me. I will *try* to reach out to the Consulate.