translation help, please

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

translation help, please

Post by LKate »

Would someone please translate the paragraphs below into Italian for me? I have to share this news with my cousins, Elena and Maria Rosa, in Candelo. Thank you so much.
Laura Fischetti

I hope you are all doing well. It has been a long time since we have corresponded.

I am so sad to share this news. My wonderful grandmother, Helen Fischetti, died quickly and peacefully yesterday, May 14, from an aortic aneurism. She had been doing very well until yesterday, so this took us all by surprise. She would have been 99 years old on June 21, 2016. My dad and Uncle Henry were both in her hospital room when she died, so she was not alone. We all thought you would want to know.

Best regards,
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Re: translation help, please

Post by liviomoreno »

Non ho vostre notizie da tanto tempo e spero stiate tutti bene.

Purtroppo ho brutte notizie da parte mia. La mia meravigliosa nonna, Helen Fischetti, è morta improvvisamente e in pace, il 14 maggio, per un aneurisma aortico. Stava bene fino all'ultimo per cui ci ha sorpresi tutti. Avrebbe compiuto 99 anni il 26 giugno. Mio papà e lo zio Henry erano con lei nella stanza dell'ospedale, per cui non era sola. Abbiamo tutti pensato che avreste voluto essere informati.
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LKate »

Thank you, Livio!
Laura
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LKate »

Livio, I received a reply. Would you please translate their response? Many thanks.
Laura

ci dispiace molto per la tua cara nonna alla quale eri tanto affezionata. Una cosa bella è che non ha sofferto. Noi non abbiamo novità importanti, ma stiamo abbastanza bene. Un grande abbraccio a te e ai tuoi cari e grazie per averci avvisato.
kencwalker
Veteran
Veteran

Post by kencwalker »

Lkate,
Throw it into Google Translate (translate.google.com) while waiting for Livio's help.
This is what it said:
"we are very sorry for your dear grandmother to which you were so fond. One nice thing is that it has not suffered. We have no important news, but we're pretty well. A big hug to you and to your loved ones and thank you for letting us warned."

I wouldn't use Google Translate to compose a message, but it gives you the gist of their message.
Researching surnames Pedroncelli and Pilatti in Sondrio; Cantoia in Novara; Penna in Asti.
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Google Translation's sounds ok in this case
erudita74
Master
Master

Post by erudita74 »

liviomoreno wrote:Google Translation's sounds ok in this case
For the most part, but there are some minor changes I would have made to make the English better. BUT never use google translator, or any other online translator for that matter, to go from English to another language to communicate with someone in another country. I tried using them years ago to communicate with distant cousins I located in Argentina. I have never studied Spanish but can read it and Portuguese, since I've studied Latin, French, and Italian. The cousins had a hard time understanding what I had written in Spanish and basically told me to write to them in English, as they understood my English better than the Spanish that the online translators had given me. So I then sent emails or letters to them in English, and they would reply to me in Spanish. That worked out really well for the years we were in touch.
Erudita
liviomoreno
Master
Master

Post by liviomoreno »

Erudita I am 150% in agreement with you. I always recommend not to use on-line translators. They are improving over time but still far from being precise. In this particular case, the Google made an understandable translation and I thought it was not worthwhile to make minor changes also because English is not perfect since it is not my mother tongue.
peonygirl
Veteran
Veteran

Post by peonygirl »

True, one could get in trouble using a translator to speak with a real person. However, I use Google Translate on my pc and have the Microsoft Translator on my phone (app). While they don't give context, they are good for words. I use the Italian Record Extraction pdf as well. One needs all the help one can get!!!
- PG
Peonygirl
Always Searching....
LKate
Rookie
Rookie

Post by LKate »

Thank you, all of you, for your help and perspectives on translating. This knowledge is helpful to me, going forward.

All the best,
Laura