Need help with a picture

Having problems with the Italian language? Do you need help to translate or understand an old family document? There is always someone who can help you!
ugthar123

Need help with a picture

Post by ugthar123 »

Hello,

I am starting to do research on my biological grandfather.

We know very little, but have a few pictures. He met my grandmother in Vienna Austria, and sometime in early 1945 he disappeared and never returned. He is supposed to have been from Pistoia Italy. The backs of the pictures are written in Italian, and I am trying to find clues as to the location.

Here is one of them, and any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

~Mike
Attachments
Scan 62.jpg
Scan 63.jpg
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Re: Need help with a picture

Post by suanj »

Hi, seeming he stay near a river, or lake, and I read just:
"Bisano" ( hamlet of Monterenzio town in Bologna province)
and below
"solo che ti amo" ( just that I love you)..
for a help you can show the completely the back of card? you can say us the his name?
Best regards,
suanj
Envy is the most flattering of flattery

----------------------------------------------
Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Sunaj

I apologize for taking so long to reply.

His name is Vezio Benini, birthdate is supposed to be November 14, 1921. Was supposed to be born in Montecatini in the province of Pistoia.

This is the entirety of the back of the picture Im afraid.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I found this your post, and seeming you are unsure abt the surname spelling as a well of birthplace
https://ww2db.com/country/italy
A Vezio Benini died on 1946, but he was born in Rocca San Casciano on 1923... so don't match..
Benini Vezio n. a RSC il 6. 2. 1923 m. a RSC il 29. 1. 1946
http://www.albodoroitalia.it/reg/emilia ... page4.html
Obviously are the error abt the war, it is the WWII and not the WWI....
you provided a Birth date, but you are sure abt 14 nov 1921?? And abt the birthplace??
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Hello again,

Yes, this is the most specific information we were given. My grandmother was videotaped in 1995 by my father, and this was the information she gave him, and she was very specific. He went back and reviewed the video again just last week to be sure. Vezio Benini was supposed to be from Montecatini Terme, on November 14, 1921. He was also supposed to have 3 brothers and no sisters.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

Among the civil records, available online, of MONTECATINI TERME (EX MONTECATINI VAL DI NIEVOLE), I searched among the weddings from 1912 to 1921 and I did not find any Benini. I was obviously looking for Vezio's parents.
But I only found an Angiolo BERNINI from Piandiscò, who married Armida Giuntoli in Montecatini on 17 Feb 1912 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... cat=446481
I search the probable parents, because no rare that someone given wrong birthdate...
However no one Benini...
Pieve a Nievole, in the past was a hamlet of Montecatini, and I found just 1 probable marriage abt Piacentino BENIGNI born in Ponte Buggianese( son of Luigi residing in Tacoma, USA) with Amalia Cruicchi... the marriage in Pieve a Nievole on 14 jun 1920 https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903 ... at=1311678
I don't found no one Benini...
So let me know your suggestions ..
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Thank you again for your response Sunaj. It is very much appreciated.

This link below I posted before, containing the backs of some of the other few pictures we have of him. From what I can tell, at the bottom, it has a reference to Wien (Vienna Austria) and a date, but I cant make out the rest of it aside from his name, Vezio.

https://www.italiangenealogy.com/forum/ ... 97#p245097

I was hoping that there may be some additional clues on these picture texts perhaps that could help us in the search. Even though my grandmother was pretty specific about the details, I have to consider the possibility that there may be some errors in her memory.

Since I know he was in the military during WWII, I may have to try to access the military records to see what I can find.

Thank you again I and look forward to hearing from you.
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

But in the pictures, full view, the place is Wien, and he wrote also that it is surrounded by barbed wire...
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

I reviewed all of the pictures in this tiny collection, and almost all of them say Wien on it with a date. Also, it seems some say "Risano" instead of "Bisano". I will be posting these other pictures in a new topic to hopefully get them translated.

As always your help is appreciated.
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Sunaj,

After some lengthy research (and some help from Google Maps) I was able to get more information.

In this picture, Vezio is indeed standing on a dock in Risano (which is now Risan Montenegro). Benito Mussolini annexed Risan during WWII, and the Italians held it until September 1943. The date on the back of the pictures matches the time-frame in which Italy controlled that area.

Also, I found out from the state archive in Florence that he was actually born in Uzzano, which was very near Montecatini and Pistoia.

Lastly, the Florence archives told us that his last name is indeed spelled BENIGNI, not BENINI. This means my grandmother had it wrong the whole time.

Now I am at a major point of confusion, as I have been given direction to a web page to download a form to request photographic reproduction of the documents they have, but I have no idea how to submit payment for this work.

Any help would be as always greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
suanj
V.I.P.
V.I.P.

Post by suanj »

I believe that this form can be helpful http://www.archiviodistato.firenze.it/a ... m_2017.pdf after the filling you can send it to as-fi@beniculturali.it you need to know the info abt the folder where the archivist found the record of Vezio http://www.archiviodistato.firenze.it/a ... .php?id=62
after the approval of your request, if complete, the archivist send the request to photographer and here the prices http://www.archiviodistato.firenze.it/a ... i_2017.pdf
abt paymenty method I don't know, please to write again askinhg if the archive accept paypal and the right procedure..... better to know all right, before to send...
best regards,
suanj

Visit my website:
ITALIAN ORIGIN SEARCH
ugthar123

Post by ugthar123 »

Thank you very much Sunaj :)