dual nationality

Over 25 million Italians have emigrated between 1861 and 1960 with a migration boom between 1871 and 1915 when over 13,5 million emigrants left the country for European and overseas destinations.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

dual nationality

Post by joyse »

Hi all
I was born in England 1946
Father England 1909
Grandmother England 1890
Great Grandfather Italy 1850

Cannot find any naturalisation
Do not know exactly when GGF came to England

Any chance of dual nationality?

Joyse
mler
Master
Master

Re: dual nationality

Post by mler »

Italy was unified in 1859. If your grandfather was still an Italian citizen when your father was born in England, you qualify. This means either that he never naturalized or naturalized after 1909.

Just out of curiosity, does this question have anything to do with Brexit?
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Hi mler

We have wanted to move over to Italy for quite a few years but have been waiting till we retire as we have a business. Brexit has made us think!!!! If we moved to where my family came from we would be fine but it is really remote and I couldn't cope with the roads with no barriers :roll: Will look into further to see if I qualify. Thank you very much for your reply. x
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

If there is an unbroken line to your ggf (or perhaps gf), you qualify.

It is really worth the effort because it will give you so many options.

Best of luck.
joyse
Rookie
Rookie

Post by joyse »

Thanks Mark :)
R78

Post by R78 »

Doesn't naturalisation also affect children if they were minors at the time of the parent's naturalisation? I've seen this mentioned but not sure if it's accurate.

Also, I'd appreciate any advice on my eligibility:

GGF Italy 1881 (+ GGM Italy 1895)
GM England 1922
M England 1948

We're not aware of any naturalisation and I haven't been able to find any evidence in the records.

Joyse, in case you didn't know, the naturalisation records are searchable on the National Archives Office website, and we need to present an apostilled declaration from them stating that there is no record, or the date of naturalisation.
mler
Master
Master

Post by mler »

It only affect minors who, because they were born in another country, naturalize with their parents. If your grandmother was born in England, she was born with English citizenship and would not be affected by her parents' naturalization.

Based on the information you provide, you seem to qualify.

If you can use your ggf's line, you can apply at the consulate. If, through your ggm, you would have a 1948 case.
R78

Post by R78 »

mler wrote:It only affect minors who, because they were born in another country, naturalize with their parents. If your grandmother was born in England, she was born with English citizenship and would not be affected by her parents' naturalization.

Based on the information you provide, you seem to qualify.

If you can use your ggf's line, you can apply at the consulate. If, through your ggm, you would have a 1948 case.
Thanks mler! Good to know.